AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 10-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Inbuilt DAC in CP-800mk2

Hi,
I have a HTPC with a Lynx DAC card. The HTPC is built for music only with no fans and connected to the pre-amp via XLR. I also have a Mac mini connected to the inbuilt DAC in the pre-amp via USB and the sound is better via the HTPC. I know that the Lynx cards are good but do anyone have any experience of the quality of the inbuilt DAC compared to other, external, USB DAC's? Or the sound quality not depending on Lynx vs inbuilt DAC and instead more of HTPC vs Mini mac? I would prefer to use the Mini mac in the furure depending on all apple equipment in the family. Both computer is running with JRiver 20.

Thanks.

/Lasse
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond.Pre/amplifier: Mark Levinson No:326S/Classé CP-800mk2/ Classé CA-2300/14BSST2.TT: Michell Orbe/SME 309/Benz Micro Wood Digital: Bryston BDA-3/BDP-2 & Mac mini, SOtM-200 Ultra, Roon, Synology NAS. CD/SACD: Marantz 7007
Cables: Supra/Van den Hul/ Isotek, AQ. Others: Isotek Aquaries/Finite Elements/SMT Wings/Entreq
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 PM

Hello,

I'm curious to know if you have configured your CP800 Pre to use Analog Bypass mode while using the Lynx Card? If you haven't then this would mean that your signal exiting the Lynx DAC Card is most likely going thru an additional stage of AD/DA conversion in which case you would actually be hearing the sound of the CP800 DAC and not the sound of your Lynx DAC.

If you are using the CP800 in Analog Bypass mode while using the Lynx Card then this may explain why you prefer the sound of it in that configuration. On the other hand, if the above statement is true regarding how you have it connected then I am surprised your prefer the sound over the Mac Mini to USB to built-in DAC on CP800. Shorter signal path..etc.

I used my CP800 as my primary DAC for about a year being feed a USB signal from an external media server (Voyage Linux/Alix low power system) and was pretty impressed with the SQ of the built-in DAC....for a while. Ultimately I ended up purchasing a Meitner MA1 DAC as an upgrade and changed the CP800 to Anlaog Bypass mode. In the new configuration I felt the SQ was much better.

Are you using something other then iTunes on your MAC Mini for music library Mgmt? There are lots of ways to effect the SQ your hear at the computer end of the connection and I would have expected the CP800 to better the DAC in your Lynx Card assuming the computer via USB setup is tuned appropriately.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Hi,
Thanks for answering. I normally play The HTPC with The Lynx card via analog (digital bypass) mode due to The fact that I think that sounds The best so I dont use The inbuilt DAC when I use The HTPC with Lynx. In both Mac mini and HTPC I use JRiver MC20. Not iTunes on The Mac mini. Same set-ups in JRiver on both computers.

I have not yet tries The Mini mac with an external DAC and then connected to analog input. I have only used the Mac connected via USB to the inbuilt DAC. But, honestly, that also sounds good but The HTPC with Lynx via XLR and in analog mode is slightly better.
Maybe It could also be important to mentioned that The HTPC is special built for just playing music. SSD disks, no fans e.t.c. Both HTPC and Mini Mac is connected to The same NAS via Ethernet cables (Supra cables). The USB cable is a Audioqest Carbon.
Regards
Lasse
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond.Pre/amplifier: Mark Levinson No:326S/Classé CP-800mk2/ Classé CA-2300/14BSST2.TT: Michell Orbe/SME 309/Benz Micro Wood Digital: Bryston BDA-3/BDP-2 & Mac mini, SOtM-200 Ultra, Roon, Synology NAS. CD/SACD: Marantz 7007
Cables: Supra/Van den Hul/ Isotek, AQ. Others: Isotek Aquaries/Finite Elements/SMT Wings/Entreq
Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 PM

I'm curious to hear if you have ever tried just USB out from HTPC to the CP800 and then use the internal DAC in the CP800?

Based on your description of the hardware in your HTPC then I'm not suprised it is bettering the sound of the Mac Mini. I believe your version of the CP800 (vII) includes the newer grounding tweaks Classe added on the later models so in theory it should be well isolated from noise at the HTPC end of the connection.

I'm pretty sure you would have to spend a hefty sum on an external DAC to better the one included in the CP800 which is what I ended up doing on my setup.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM

No, I havent tried that but It's a very good idea to do that. I will test and comeback with The result. But it have to wait a little due to The fact I must do some travelling with My Work now. And, yes, I have The latest version of The per-amp. I think you are right IF I want to improve I have to spend a lot of money on a better DAC. Thanks for The tips!

/Lasse
Old 10-13-2015, 08:25 PM

Hi again,
Now I have tested USB out from my HTPC -> inbuilt DAC in the CP-800mk2 and that sound slightly better than Mini mac via USB -> inbuild DAC. Probably because the HTPC is built and optimized just for playing music and Mini mac is just a computer. But still the Lynx -> XLR to the CP-800mk2 is best. In matter of fact some audiophile friends with much more expensive euquipment than me have tested a optimized HTPC with Lynx against MSB analouge DAC and there was no winner. They said that the sound was different but they couldnt really say that one was better than the other. Interesting. If I find some time I will test an Aurelic Vega and a PS Audio DAC.