AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Default C2500 Reliability

I am in the market for a pre amp to connect to an MC452 and B&W 805 speakers. I would prefer McIntosh hoping for good synergy. Demoing other brands in a similar system is unrealistic. Looking at the C2500 over the current model C2600 is only due to price. I am still considering solid state as an option.

I have read a few posts on firmware type issues on the C2500 and the unit freezing up and requiring tricky updating or worse, have to send to repair center. Is this a concern with all preamps or only with preamps with dacs, or mainly the C2500? It got me a little concerned. What is the latest firmware avail for the C2500, maybe I can check if the unit is up to date?

There is a used C2300 for sale for the same money as the C2500. I don't mind it not having a dac, but, I would think it would be missing other advancements found in the C2500?

Thoughts, experiences? Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 01:00 PM

I have a C2300 and I love it. Personally, I like the fact that it doesn’t have an on-board DAC. That allows me to upgrade DACs (if I desire) as they make advancements, while keeping the same preamp.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I have a C2300 and I love it. Personally, I like the fact that it doesn’t have an on-board DAC. That allows me to upgrade DACs (if I desire) as they make advancements, while keeping the same preamp.

Agree completely [emoji115][emoji106]
Focal Sopra 2, MC611’s, C1100, MCD1100, Zesto Andros, Feickert Woodpecker/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA, Hana Umami Red, HRS, HiFi Rose RS130, Schiit Yggy, AQ Niagara 5000 w/Hurricanes, Cardas, WireWorld Silver 7's.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM

I'm another fan of the C2300, I've never heard a 2500 or 2600, but I feel based on what I've read, McIntosh is still a bit in the stoneage with firmware. I had my fingers crossed when I updated my MR88, but I understand the process is a bit better now. IIRC there was at least one thread here where a C2300 owner picked up a 2500 or 2600.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:07 PM

My sample of the C2500 has been great. As performed quickly by my dealer, the v1.03 firmware update successfully accomplished two years ago and dealt with any minor issues I had. Verify that the update (version may be viewed in the digital display) has been done or will be done, if you are purchasing from a McIntosh dealer. My sample is currently mated with an MC462 with sonically sublime results.

The DAC in the C2500 is a very good one, it gives one a listening alternative, its handy, and it does not prevent one from externally updating with another DAC in the future. If the second hand purchase prices of the C23 and the C2500 under consideration are practically identical, the DAC is a virtual freebie.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Bob
Old 04-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
My sample of the C2500 has been great. As performed quickly by my dealer, the v1.03 firmware update successfully accomplished two years ago and dealt with any minor issues I had. Verify that the update (version may be viewed in the digital display) has been done or will be done, if you are purchasing from a McIntosh dealer. My sample is currently mated with an MC462 with sonically sublime results.

The DAC in the C2500 is a very good one, it gives one a listening alternative, its handy, and it does not prevent one from externally updating with another DAC in the future. If the second hand purchase prices of the C23 and the C2500 under consideration are practically identical, the DAC is a virtual freebie.

Hope this helps. YMMV.

Bob
+1

After the firmware updates my c2500 was issue free. I also agree the DAC is a freebie. You can always add an external DAC as technology progresses.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM

c2500 works very well for me, I would assume the newer version c2600 works nicely too.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 PM

I bought a C2300 four years ago and have been using it almost everyday and haven’t had any problem in four years and still using it today.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 AM

I had a 2500 for about four years. The only problem was the USB section of the DAC being finicky. Firmware Version 1.03 took care of that. All other DAC inputs functioned perfectly and never a problem.

As others have mentioned, the DAC is a"freebee" (of sorts) and... it's pretty good as well.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 PM

I purchased my C2500 in December 2017 and it is the best tube preamp to grace my system. Previously I had an Audible Illusions Modulus 3, 3A, 3B, and a Rogue Audio RP5 preamp. They were all tube based. The C2500 blows them all away. No problems with the unit.