AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
I looked into the microrendu a bit and it has a lot of fans. But I just don't have a good feeling about it. Plus you have to buy a power supply. Then if you want anything other than USB, you need to buy a converter. All that starts to add up.

Ultimately my goal would be to play music both Redbook and hi-res from my NAS. I would prefer something with multiple digital outs. RCA and AES would be great. I don't need a DAC inside or ability to rip CDs. I also don't really need internal storage but it might be a nice thing. I could use the internal drive to play music and just use the NAS as a backup. That way I wouldn't need an Ethernet connection in the room with the stereo.
I heavily considered the microRendu. I think it is a great piece of gear. The Connect or Node 2 would be a great solution for you. I went with the Node 2 because of the positive reviews (professional and user) in regards to the sound quality and function. Bluesound has created an excellent OS, the BluOS. As mentioned earlier it will be "Roon Ready" soon which is good news in that it opens the option up for using when of the best reviewed music library OSs out there.

In regards to the internal storage; if I had the budget I would have went with the Bluesound Vault 2 which has a 2TB hard drive, ripper and the DAC that the Node 2 has.

I can attest from personal experience that Bluesound's customer support is excellent, which is another reason I went with them. I also really like the form factor and build quality.

In the end there are many great streamer products out there. I do think Sonos and Bluesound are offer some of the best value. After a few months of using one I can't imagine my system without it.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 10-13-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I looked into the microrendu a bit and it has a lot of fans. But I just don't have a good feeling about it. Plus you have to buy a power supply. Then if you want anything other than USB, you need to buy a converter. All that starts to add up.

Ultimately my goal would be to play music both Redbook and hi-res from my NAS. I would prefer something with multiple digital outs. RCA and AES would be great. I don't need a DAC inside or ability to rip CDs. I also don't really need internal storage but it might be a nice thing. I could use the internal drive to play music and just use the NAS as a backup. That way I wouldn't need an Ethernet connection in the room with the stereo.
All good points. Not sure if you stream currently, but if not, don't neglect it. Of course wifi works well for most streaming, so you wouldn't need ethernet per se. Streaming is our favorite way to build the library - hear something, explore the artist/genre, buy something. Highly enjoyable; hence my interest in Roon.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hey, The Lost Bears,

You might want to check out the ELAC Discovery Music Server. It's a little pricey but might be just what your looking for.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 10-14-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Hey, The Lost Bears,

You might want to check out the ELAC Discovery Music Server. It's a little pricey but might be just what your looking for.

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks Scott, I will take a look at the ELAC Discovery.

I came upon an interesting review of the Simaudio Moon 180 MiND on the SoundStage! Hi-Fi website. The moon has a multiple of outputs including AES. No internal storage, but seems like most everything else I am looking for. As I understand, my DAC 8 sounds best with the AES input. I think it may be worth a listen.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks Scott, I will take a look at the ELAC Discovery.

I came upon an interesting review of the Simaudio Moon 180 MiND on the SoundStage! Hi-Fi website. The moon has a multiple of outputs including AES. No internal storage, but seems like most everything else I am looking for. As I understand, my DAC 8 sounds best with the AES input. I think it may be worth a listen.
I completely forgot about the Moon 180 MiND. It was out of my budget but I really wanted it. From all that I read on the MiND I gathered that it was well thought out, has a very good OS and sounds great. I think you can't go wrong with it. Moon makes so much outstanding stuff.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 10-14-2016, 04:49 PM

Hi, new guy here. I thought I'd weigh in on the Bluesound Node 2. I purchased one back in April and I was impressed enough with it I retired my well-appointed 2012 Mac mini and subsequent software (A+, Amarra Symphony, HQPlayer, Pure Music, etc.). I use either a Bifrost Multibit or Qute EX DAC with the Node 2 but if I didn't already have these DACs on hand I'm not sure I would bother .. the DAC in the Node 2 (Burr-Brown) is really quite good. Not as refined/nuanced as either of my DACs but really, not bad at all. All in all, I think the Node 2 is a bargain and I'm happy I took the chance on it.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Hi, new guy here. I thought I'd weigh in on the Bluesound Node 2. I purchased one back in April and I was impressed enough with it I retired my well-appointed 2012 Mac mini and subsequent software (A+, Amarra Symphony, HQPlayer, Pure Music, etc.). I use either a Bifrost Multibit or Qute EX DAC with the Node 2 but if I didn't already have these DACs on hand I'm not sure I would bother .. the DAC in the Node 2 (Burr-Brown) is really quite good. Not as refined/nuanced as either of my DACs but really, not bad at all. All in all, I think the Node 2 is a bargain and I'm happy I took the chance on it.
Morgan, welcome to AA! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Bluesound Node 2. Your comments on your experience using the Node 2 with other DACs are very interesting. I have an Arcam rDAC that I haven't used since getting the Node 2. I have been so pleased with what I hear from the Node 2 that I haven't been motivated to try it. I will have to get a coaxial or TOSLINK cable and check it out though.

Again, welcome, and thanks for contributing to this post.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 10-15-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Morgan, welcome to AA! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Bluesound Node 2. Your comments on your experience using the Node 2 with other DACs are very interesting. I have an Arcam rDAC that I haven't used since getting the Node 2. I have been so pleased with what I hear from the Node 2 that I haven't been motivated to try it. I will have to get a coaxial or TOSLINK cable and check it out though.

Again, welcome, and thanks for contributing to this post.

Cheers,

Scott
Thanks for the warm welcome Scott, much appreciated. I hope you share your findings if you do indeed try out your DAC with the Node 2.

Regards
Old 08-07-2017, 11:31 PM

Not too much more on the Bluesound Node 2 in 2017! WOW I am surprised because I bought one in June 2017 and I think it is one of the best bargains in Hi-Fi today. The DAC can hang with many costing the same as the full price of the Node 2 (US $500) or more. It can integrate with Spotify, Tidal and many other music streaming companies as well as Roon. It can wirelessly connect your HDD digital library of music files without having to use a computer at all (this is great as I have set up a Western Digital MyCloud HDD with all my stored digital music files in another room). If you have your own favorite DAC, just run the cable out from the Node 2! Not to mention the MQA library is growing and sounds fantastic. Anyone else care to share your opinion if you bought one of these in 2017. I guess NAD is the driving force for Bluesound technology and both are owned by Lenbrook Industries.

Last edited by psyopwak; 08-07-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 AM

I have a Vault 2 and very pleased with it.

A great all-in-one solution, although I do use it into the DAC of a McIntosh pre-amp. Very convenient and easy to use. I've only ever had it once not connect to my network after about 6 month's use cf Squeezebox which lost connection every couple of weeks.