AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 09-30-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxinput View Post
No videos as far as I can find. You can read this long thread if you want. However, the opinions seem all over the place and all of these people are using the LYR or something that doesn't already have JFET:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schi...ssions.778326/

There is a statement in there that the LISST definitely warm/heat up, but not as much as tubes. So, a couple things could be happening:

1. The LISST is regulating down the tube high voltage (i.e. 200+ volts) to a more solid state level such as 15-30 volts and generating heat as a byproduct.

2. The LISST MOSFET circuit is running in Class A mode, which generates more heat.

Or it could be both of these. Schiit indicates the LISST are MOSFET circuits, as oppose to JFET that is the solid-state circuit in the Freya. So, it's really difficult to tell if the LISST is going to be any different than the built-in JFET.

Honestly, I think the JFET mode sounds somewhat flat and sterile when compared to good tubes (the Schiit stock tubes are not included). You could always try the LISST, but at $99 a pair, it's an experiment that may or may not be better than stock JFET.

If it were me, I would be going after the PSVANE CV181-TII, even though they are a lot more expensive.
I'll have to try some of the PSVANE CV181-TII tubes so as to get a better listen to what the tube stage is capable of. Schiit says that the LISST units "measure better" than do tubes - but we all know what that's worth.....
Old 10-08-2018, 12:04 AM

Hey SoundMig,

I just got back from visiting a friend. He ordered a set of PSVANE 12au7 tubes and I helped him install those in his tube preamp. The original tubes were JJ, which we pretty good. After just a few hours of burn-in the PSVANE were very excellent. They had much better resolution and definitely made that preamp "sing". There was none of that "tube color" such as added texture / liquid / chime. It was almost approaching solid-state, but with soul. So, I highly recommend the PSVANE.