AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Anyone have experience with the LS50W vs the LS50 ???
Old 11-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Smile

I have been considering KEF LS50s as well. That price is outstanding. The KEF LS50 is on my short list or an upgrade on my Audioengines, which also includes the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2, B&W 705s2, SF Venere 2.0. I am leaning toward the Ascend Acoustics. Does anyone know how the KEF compares to the others?

The price is definitely right on the KEFs. They each definitely have their own aesthetics.

I listen in a medium sized office/study that will not tolerate floor standers. I use an REL Tzero sub which will handle the low end in a small space, that I am pleased with.

Best,
Shrinky
Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinky Smurf View Post
I have been considering KEF LS50s as well. That price is outstanding. The KEF LS50 is on my short list or an upgrade on my Audioengines, which also includes the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2, B&W 705s2, SF Venere 2.0. I am leaning toward the Ascend Acoustics. Does anyone know how the KEF compares to the others?

The price is definitely right on the KEFs. They each definitely have their own aesthetics.

I listen in a medium sized office/study that will not tolerate floor standers. I use an REL Tzero sub which will handle the low end in a small space, that I am pleased with.

Best,
Shrinky
Heard great things about that REL Tzero sub....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:01 PM

The KEF LS50 caught my attention a while back and there were some pretty bold statements such as:

"Conclusion 1: The Schiit Audio Ragnarok plus KEF LS50s ($1299) is the most enjoyable stereo system I've used in the 21st century."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...XXOFMyTw2fB.99

"Summing Up
It is rare to find a loudspeaker that offers this combination of clarity and neutrality. For KEF's LS50 Anniversary Model to do so for a penny under $1500/pair makes it even more remarkable. This thoroughbred both shows a clean pair of heels to the venerable LS3/5a and, within its limits of dynamic range and bass extension, will provide Class A sound for those with small rooms. Recommended. Highly"
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...zdOHWtD8LoC.99

Not sure who this guy is but he reviewed the LS50 Wireless and claims he prefers these to the Guarneri Evolution Monitors at $24k...

https://youtu.be/xPbPLJmMaJs
Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
Anyone have experience with the LS50W vs the LS50 ???
Might want to take a look at this video. https://youtu.be/xPbPLJmMaJs
Old 11-26-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
I own the LS50 and the Blade and have had both for over two years. Frankly I think the KEF in general is underrated by audiophiles on forums. The are remarkably balanced and have a very smooth frequency response. There are not overly warm nor etched in their presentation. They are not hypercritical in positioning probably due to their coincident drivers. Very nice soundstaging.

Both highly recommended. LS50 specifically: I actually preferred them to a set of in house Magneplanar 1.7s. Better bass response and a more natural presentation especially on rock music.

The LS50 is good in smaller to medium size rooms when played at moderate sound levels (mid 80s db). They can get compressed and confused at higher volumes. If you play at higher volumes I would recommend one of the Reference Series floor standers like the REF 3.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on these Caelin. The LS50's would be used in a smallish room, 12x15 and I don't listen very loud so should be sufficient.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys but I have seen a few of his videos and I’m not so sure I trust his opinion.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys but I have seen a few of his videos and I’m not so sure I trust his opinion.
I personally would not be interested in the wireless version and seems the reviewer was not thrilled with a few features of the wireless version so I thought I'd share the video.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:16 PM

To be honest I think KEF’s choice of calling this speaker “wireless” is actually and bad naming. It has several wires that must be connected to one of the speakers.

I do see it being nice for the user that doesn’t want all the “boxes” of amps and dacs and such.

And PHC1 I’m like you I think I would lean more to the standard LS50 giving the price difference with the current sale.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
To be honest I think KEF’s choice of calling this speaker “wireless” is actually and bad naming. It has several wires that must be connected to one of the speakers.

I do see it being nice for the user that doesn’t want all the “boxes” of amps and dacs and such.

And PHC1 I’m like you I think I would lean more to the standard LS50 giving the price difference with the current sale.
I certainly want to have control over the "upstream" gear involved with driving speakers. I can not warm up to the idea all in one box solution just yet.