AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 AM

Default Anyone heard the Liuto?

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone here has heard the Liuto floor stander from Sonus Faber. It's had some great reviews on the net.

I'm on the hunt for new speakers for my McIntosh C220/MC2102 set up.

I currently have B&W805s which I love. I have been auditioning some PMC OB1i's and although they are nice speakers they don't seem to be a good match for my system. The 805s are more musical in my ears.

There's a reputable company selling some used Liuto's for a good price so thought I'd get some feedback on these speakers.

I don't think I'll be able to audition them unfortunately but the seller might be willing to take them back if they don't work with my system. I'll need to ask.

I really do love my 805s though I wish they had more bass. I did think of adding a sub but I'd like to stay away from that if possible.

Eddie
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone here has heard the Liuto floor stander from Sonus Faber. It's had some great reviews on the net.

I'm on the hunt for new speakers for my McIntosh C220/MC2102 set up.

I currently have B&W805s which I love. I have been auditioning some PMC OB1i's and although they are nice speakers they don't seem to be a good match for my system. The 805s are more musical in my ears.

There's a reputable company selling some used Liuto's for a good price so thought I'd get some feedback on these speakers.

I don't think I'll be able to audition them unfortunately but the seller might be willing to take them back if they don't work with my system. I'll need to ask.

I really do love my 805s though I wish they had more bass. I did think of adding a sub but I'd like to stay away from that if possible.

Eddie
Eddie,

I have not heard the Liutos but I would have thought the 2101 and 220 deserve at least something like the Cremonas which do sound very nice. I'm sure a used pair of these can't be too hard to find? (and they will match great with your set up)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ona-Graphite-B

howie

Last edited by howiebrou; 09-06-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Thanks Howie. Something else to consider!

The used price is within my price range as well.

Eddie
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiel View Post
Thanks Howie. Something else to consider!

The used price is within my price range as well.

Eddie
I like the Cremona a lot. It mates very well with Mc gear
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Eddie, if you like your 805s, just add a JL Audio sub...

I run mine with a REL R305 sub, and never worry about bass...the JL will integrate even more easily...Masterlu can hook you up...

Nothing against the Liuto...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
Eddie, if you like your 805s, just add a JL Audio sub...

I run mine with a REL R305 sub, and never worry about bass...the JL will integrate even more easily...Masterlu can hook you up...

Nothing against the Liuto...
FYI, September JL sub sale posted by a certain well known dealer in this forum.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm a bit worried about adding a sub as I've heard you can get timing issues and what have you.

On the other hand I now some have that set up and it works.

I'm not averse to giving it a go though I'd have to wait until I got back to Canada from the UK (moving in October).

Eddie
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Hello All, this is my very first post! My dealer had Liutos in the front listening room for about 8 months, so I listened to them for quite a few hours. At the time I owned the Grand Piano Domus, so I was very interested in the differences given the substantial price increase from the GP Domus. My observation was the Liuto definately had more bass/midbass definition than the GP Domus, and definately went deeper. The GP Domus tend to get a little muddy/congested in the bass when a lot is happening. I think midrange wise they sounded very similar; and on top I really think they are similar (maybe a slight edge to the Liutos). Since then I purchased a pair of Cremona M from my dealer and sold the GPs off. They are clearly (pun intended) better in every aspect, as they should be. My personal opinion is that the Liuto is aptly priced based on its perfomance between the previous GP Domus and the Cremona M. Although I think the GP Domus was a prettier speaker than the Liuto.

Phil
Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhilio View Post
Hello All, this is my very first post! My dealer had Liutos in the front listening room for about 8 months, so I listened to them for quite a few hours. At the time I owned the Grand Piano Domus, so I was very interested in the differences given the substantial price increase from the GP Domus. My observation was the Liuto definately had more bass/midbass definition than the GP Domus, and definately went deeper. The GP Domus tend to get a little muddy/congested in the bass when a lot is happening. I think midrange wise they sounded very similar; and on top I really think they are similar (maybe a slight edge to the Liutos). Since then I purchased a pair of Cremona M from my dealer and sold the GPs off. They are clearly (pun intended) better in every aspect, as they should be. My personal opinion is that the Liuto is aptly priced based on its perfomance between the previous GP Domus and the Cremona M. Although I think the GP Domus was a prettier speaker than the Liuto.

Phil
Congrats on the Cremona M.

Hmm, prefer the GP to the Liuto visually? Have you seen/heard the Liuto Wood in North American Cherry, Walnut or Smoked Oak? Liuto Wood is a different enclosure - 3/4" full height staves of solid wood laid up as the side panel vs mdf - adds leather covering on the bottom, the spine, and the swept top panel, and now has the outrigger front spikes. Now has much more in common visually with a Cremona than any other Sonus, imo.

It would be politically incorrect for me to suggest that the Liuto Wood's changes are a significant sonic step forward - but Sonus' natural wood enclosures have historically well outperformed their mdf counterparts. Just sayin'.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Congrats on the Cremona M.

Hmm, prefer the GP to the Liuto visually? Have you seen/heard the Liuto Wood in North American Cherry, Walnut or Smoked Oak? Liuto Wood is a different enclosure - 3/4" full height staves of solid wood laid up as the side panel vs mdf - adds leather covering on the bottom, the spine, and the swept top panel, and now has the outrigger front spikes. Now has much more in common visually with a Cremona than any other Sonus, imo.

It would be politically incorrect for me to suggest that the Liuto Wood's changes are a significant sonic step forward - but Sonus' natural wood enclosures have historically well outperformed their mdf counterparts. Just sayin'.
The Liutos my dealer had on hand were the North American Cherry, albeit the first generation; which did not have the leather accents. I understand that now the speaker is trimmed in leather instead of the textured black finish it was originally released in. Are you sure about the Liuto being solid wood? From what I have read they are MDF with wood internal sub structrure for bracing. Either way, it is clearly a better performer than the GP Domus, and mabye my preference for its looks are completely biased, since the GP Domus were my mistress for almost 2 years As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. BTW, mine were gloss piano black, not wood veneer.