AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Default What's a good target for a "Retirement Number"?

What would you say is an "adequate" retirement number in terms of dollars? (not an amount to simply scrape by, but a figure that would allow a happy life with some travel, leisure, service and the occasional audio purchase )

This question isn't intended to pry (or ask any forum members to divulge any personal or private information). I have been thinking about retirement planning as of late, and I am curious what a good goal ought to be.

As this forum is comprised with a diverse range of folks, who have been blessed in one way or another to buy gear that is not cheap, I was curious what AA members thought on this subject.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Retirement

Depends who is managing your money. You will need at least one million of your own.... do not include S.S. More is nice too! Pay off house, all bills that are possible, no expensive cars unless you feel inadequate or just need to impress. My financial advisor worked it out so that I get a nice monthly check which will not run out so I can afford power cables and the wife, local animal shelter and Salvation Army are cared for in perpetuity.

Last edited by The Trace; 06-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trace View Post
no expensive cars unless you feel inadequate or just need to impress.
Are you being humorous, or do you really believe those are the only reasons someone would be compelled to buy an expensive car?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:59 PM

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
Are you being humorous, or do you really believe those are the only reasons someone would be compelled to buy an expensive car?
A big of both. I find my car gets me around, reasonable costs, self-maintained. Even got a 90 Vette I do not use much. But I know it will no appreciate it at all.
But I did watch my funds and behaved myself.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Default What's a good target for a "Retirement Number"?

Some might feel perfectly happy with a $200K or a $1M nest egg while others will fret unless they have $10M.

I think you’re going to get a wide range of opinions here. It really comes down to your lifestyle, spending habits, where you live, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/16/reti...ngs/index.html

Last edited by Cohibaman; 06-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I think you’re going to get a wide range of opinions here. It really comes down to your lifestyle, spending habits, where you live, etc.

+1
Old 06-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Some might feel perfectly happy with a $200K or a $1M nest egg while others will fret unless they have $10M.

I think you’re going to get a wide range of opinions here. It really comes down to your lifestyle, spending habits, where you live, etc....]
Absolutely agree. If you're asking this question, this book will help you develop your own answer.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Everyone is different and your best source of information should be your 401K which will have charts and advice to help with retirement planning.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I appreciate all of the responses so far.

To clarify, I am not really looking for someone to tell me what my number should be, and I'm aware that everybody's number will be different.

I'm mainly curious what others think given the diversity of the AA group (particularly those who are living the retired life, or are closer to approaching this than I am).
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I appreciate all of the responses so far.

To clarify, I am not really looking for someone to tell me what my number should be, and I'm aware that everybody's number will be different.

I'm mainly curious what others think given the diversity of the AA group (particularly those who are living the retired life, or are closer to approaching this than I am).
It really does depend on what outstanding debts you have. Is your house paid off, car payments, children are financially secure, things like that. I've been retired for 7 years and my wife for 8 and we're just coming up next year when we'll have to start taking money out of our 401k. We live quite comfortably on my wife's pension and our two SS payments.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2