AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 01-04-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Slanted cantilever

Edited

Last edited by Avid; 01-04-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:52 PM

If you aren't mistracking I would reduce AS and run it for a while and see if it corrects itself.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101 View Post
If you aren't mistracking I would reduce AS and run it for a while and see if it corrects itself.

Oh, your right.. I got my wires crossed there. Yes reduce antiskate and see what happens
Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
The antiskate was dialled by the pro that came to install the cart. It was around 2.5 (same as the VTF). I just tried with a blank vinyl, if I want the arm to stay put, I have to go up to 3. Is it too much?

It is the new Ruby cantilever. It didn't come like that but I've noticed the cantilever going this way after a few months of use. It's slanted by a few degrees and it's quite noticeable when the cart is in the grooves.
If you set the anti-skate for the arm to be stable on a blank LP it will be set too high. There are different skating forces when the stylus is in a groove compared to skating on the surface of a blank LP. When anti-skate is set correctly if tested on blank vinyl towards the end of the normal tracking arc, the arm should slowly skate inwards. So definitely try less anti-skating force.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
If you set the anti-skate for the arm to be stable on a blank LP it will be set too high. There are different skating forces when the stylus is in a groove compared to skating on the surface of a blank LP. When anti-skate is set correctly if tested on blank vinyl towards the end of the normal tracking arc, the arm should slowly skate inwards. So definitely try less anti-skating force.
What do you mean by less? If I put it at 2.9 instead of 3 then it will go slightly inwards but if I go to 2 then it will go very fast inward.

What would happen if I dont use any antiskate?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by less? If I put it at 2.9 instead of 3 then it will go slightly inwards but if I go to 2 then it will go very fast inward.

What would happen if I dont use any antiskate?
By less I meant less than you set it to keep the arm stable on a blank LP. The arm should slowly drift towards the spindle when tested towards the inside of a blank LP. If the arm drifts very fast inward then you need more anti-skate. Some users like no anti-skate so you can try that if you wish, but I'm not in that camp.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 PM

I can't see your signature accessing via iPad, but do you still have SME V? VTF and AS should be set the same. You then listen and adjust VTF for best SQ, then set AS to match. Set up by professional? Mmmmm...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
By less I meant less than you set it to keep the arm stable on a blank LP. The arm should slowly drift towards the spindle when tested towards the inside of a blank LP. If the arm drifts very fast inward then you need more anti-skate. Some users like no anti-skate so you can try that if you wish, but I'm not in that camp.
So that anti-skate was setup well when I got the SME. I had some issue with the previous Rega arm and that's when the issue with the cantilever started.

So it seems that this will stay this way, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
I can't see your signature accessing via iPad, but do you still have SME V? VTF and AS should be set the same. You then listen and adjust VTF for best SQ, then set AS to match. Set up by professional? Mmmmm...
John, I still have the SME V. While the recommandation is to have both set the same, some manufacturer recommend the AS to be slightly higher than the VTF.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
... While the recommandation is to have both set the same, some manufacturer recommend the AS to be slightly higher than the VTF.
That's interesting. Can you tell us what manufacturer suggests this? The typical suggestion is that antiskate be set at or below the VTF, not above. Some manufacturers, such as VPI, suggest avoiding antiskate altogether.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
That's interesting. Can you tell us what manufacturer suggests this? The typical suggestion is that antiskate be set at or below the VTF, not above. Some manufacturers, such as VPI, suggest avoiding antiskate altogether.
VPI's position on anti-skate is often misstated. They do not really suggest avoiding it altogether, but rather that the a/s force inherent in their arm design from the loop of wire is sufficient. They believe it sounds best without adding any additional a/s from an additional mechanism, which they still now provide for those that may prefer to use it.