AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 PM

What do you use to ground your tonearm? I had been using one I made from 16 gauge wire with some crimp connectors covered with heat shrink. Today I ordered a one meter Audioquest ground strap which got me to wondering what everyone else was using
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3978421923.jpg (71.5 KB, 85 views)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.

Last edited by DonBattles; 09-28-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:46 PM

Don, are you talking about the ground connection on the terminal block on the VPI? When I had a Scoutmaster I seem to remember the ground wire being included with the phono cable.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 09-28-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Don, are you talking about the ground connection on the terminal block on the VPI? When I had a Scoutmaster I seem to remember the ground wire being included with the phono cable.
Yes, but that would depend if you using a purpose built pair of cables. In my case I'm running the same brand/model RCA's that I have throughout my system so therefore I need a separate ground wire.

Did I explain that right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 PM

Yup, you explained it clearly. I guess I've always used a dedicated phono cable, which typically has an integrated ground wire. Typically a dedicated phono cable will have lower capacitance, which can be important. Audioquest makes a basic ground wire, which should be about all you need, but since you have Tara ICs you might consider looking at their dedicated phono cables. Then you'd have the best of both worlds, a dedicated phono that matches the rest of your loom.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Yup, you explained it clearly. I guess I've always used a dedicated phono cable, which typically has an integrated ground wire. Typically a dedicated phono cable will have lower capacitance, which can be important. Audioquest makes a basic ground wire, which should be about all you need, but since you have Tara ICs you might consider looking at their dedicated phono cables. Then you'd have the best of both worlds, a dedicated phono that matches the rest of your loom.
when you made mention of capacitance, something I had not really considered all that much, it got the wheels spinning. So I went to Tara Lab's web page and went looking for some cable spec's, specifically capacitance. Nothing on the website so I contacted customer support and asked what the capacitance on three different series of cables were. Here is what I was told:

Apollo (dedicated phono cable) 18pf
Prime M1 (std. RCA application and one I currently use) 12pf
Air Evolution (several steps up from the M1), 6pf

So, unless I misunderstand the measurements my M1's are better suited than the dedicated phone cable
Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 AM

Sounds like you're in good shape. Unless you have some sort of grounding issue, i.e. a hum or something, I would think the Audioquest you got should do the job. I'm no expert though, so maybe someone else will weigh in.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 PM

I'm using the Audioquest Groundbuddy on my VPI. Might be overkill but it gives me confidence.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds