AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-03-2014, 10:21 PM

I plan to go to one of my dealers tomorrow and try out some new cables. Am currently using Audioquest Columbia XLR's (72v DBS) and CV-8 (72v DBS, two pairs for bi-wired).

Since upgrading much of my hardware in the past couple years, I have never made a change in my interconnect/speaker cabling. Always been pleased overall with the AQ stuff, but wonder if there is a better synergy to be had with other options. My dealer has products from Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent and Sain Line Systems to choose from, though I would prefer to stay under $600/cable or thereabouts if possible. My components consist of ARC Ref 3, ARC Ref 110, Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1, Oppo BDP-105, REL R528, Clearaudio Concept MC, Simaudio Moon 310LP and B&W 805 Diamonds. I am okay with buying used if need be, so that may help in the <$600 arena. Any great option you think I MUST try with my particular set of equipment? I would like to focus on the interconnect side of things and then consider speaker cables too.

Any thoughts or strong recommendations would be appreciated... Thanks.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 01-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Media Server Aficionado

WW on interconnects/digital has some easy decisions and I've always liked Acoustic Zen for speaker leads in the price range you want to remain in.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
WW on interconnects/digital has some easy decisions and I've always liked Acoustic Zen for speaker leads in the price range you want to remain in.
Any thoughts on options from the above four brands my dealer currently handles?

Last edited by Bavarian05; 01-04-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I just bought a pair of Audioquest Columbia interconnects and really like them a lot, so personally, I'd be curious as to what you think or find out will be better in that price range.

I'd like to get some more Columbias, actually. I use RCA, though.

You might see if there are some Audioquest Colorados for sale in that price range.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Bodhisattva

I like the Siltech Classic Anniversary 330i xlr's which use the silver-gold g7 conductors. A 1.0 mtr pair retails at $1k, but you could easily pick up a 2nd hand pair with the G7 conductors within your budget, though you need to be careful off Chinese knock offs. If buying 2nd hand, ask the seller to show you photos of the packaging which should show the hologram and s/n information. Also ask them where the cables were purchased. Also ask for the s/n enscribed on the cable barrels and check the original date of sale and Dealer location with Siltech. As a rule of thumb, I won't touch re-sold cables where I can't trace the sale back to the original invoice.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

It seems like ARC's chief listener during the product development and later quality control arena (i.e., he listens toevery piece before it is shipped to a customer), Warren Gehl, now uses Sain Line cabels exclusively. It might make sense to try out whatever interconnects they have in the $600 range first and see how they compare to your AQs. I don't believe their speaker cables can be found at that price point but maybe your dealer has trade-ins or demo cables he is willing to part with that will bring them in at that price point.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
It seems like ARC's chief listener during the product development and later quality control arena (i.e., he listens toevery piece before it is shipped to a customer), Warren Gehl, now uses Sain Line cabels exclusively. It might make sense to try out whatever interconnects they have in the $600 range first and see how they compare to your AQs. I don't believe their speaker cables can be found at that price point but maybe your dealer has trade-ins or demo cables he is willing to part with that will bring them in at that price point.
Chief Listener - I'd like to have that job.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM

Go and listen to $1500 dollar range cables then buy them used
Old 01-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Has anyone auditioned the Bryston cables?

I notice they have an analog xlr cable and a digital xlr listing.

Curious why 2 listings if they are both xlr type, anyway any feedback on these cables, prices are pretty good, wonder about how they stack up cost per cost and cost Vs those that cost more?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
Has anyone auditioned the Bryston cables?

I notice they have an analog xlr cable and a digital xlr listing.

Curious why 2 listings if they are both xlr type, anyway any feedback on these cables, prices are pretty good, wonder about how they stack up cost per cost and cost Vs those that cost more?
I use the Bryston AES/EBU cable. This is a 110 ohm cable specifically used for digital connection (between their BDP-1 and BDA-1 for instance).
The analog XLR is a regular balanced line level interconnect. I have been pleased with their digital cables (I have both AES and BNC SPDIF from them).
I don't have any experience with their other analog cables however.