AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Brownbear had great advice a couple of days ago. Is there a reason (or maybe I missed it?) why you have not called your dealer or taken it in?
i have moved country since i got the amp. for now i rather repair if needed.
also few other ma252 owners having the same hum....
Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
EDIT:

Mine has the faintest hiss or hum that doesn't change at all when I adjust the volume up and down. I don't know if yours has more than that or not, but I am able to hear something. There's no way I can hear it unless I have my ear right next to the tweeter though.

Has yours done it from day 1?

Is the humming coming from both channels?

Do you have any other 12AX7 or 12AT7 tubes you can swap the originals out with?

Is it a 60 cycle hum, or more of a hissing sound?

Are you able to feel any vibration when you place your fingers on the woofer cone?

You may want to test it at a friends house and see if you can still hear it there.
not sure from day1 or not..
from both channel and seems equal.
i going to buy 4 replacement tube to test it.
not sure it's hum or hiss, but i can hear it from both tweeter and woofer.
can't feel the vibration if i place my finger on the cone.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Retired

Has tube-rolling done anything to tame the hum/hiss some have experienced with their MA252?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Has tube-rolling done anything to tame the hum/hiss some have experienced with their MA252?
you got MA252 and got hum too?
tube rolling doesn't help. replaced all 4 tubes and hun still the same.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:38 PM

Just bought one of these. It was really impressive with the variety of speakers I auditioned. Definitely needs breaking in based on initial listening.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 09-02-2018, 07:52 AM

I liked the MA252 better with golden lion tubes vs the stock Mac tubes. The GLs really opened up the soundstage and increased the clarity. It was a light vail had been lifted. Not a nigh vs day swing, but change for the better. Once you get it broken in. Give tube rolling a try.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
I liked the MA252 better with golden lion tubes vs the stock Mac tubes. The GLs really opened up the soundstage and increased the clarity. It was a light vail had been lifted. Not a nigh vs day swing, but change for the better. Once you get it broken in. Give tube rolling a try.

It's definitely crossed my mind, Gotta hit all the usual cable, room treatments, tweaks, breaking in etc first. Then I'll look into tubes for sure, that could be fun. And yeah I've read tube changes would be more subtle because it's only the Pre stage.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 09-09-2018, 09:06 PM

I purchased a MA252 about a month ago. I came across this thread and took a listen and sure enough I had the low hiss/hum. Took it back to the dealer for credit. Not sure how Mc could let this issue slip through QC.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM

Inbought last week to use as a 2nd system in an office. Powering a pair of Eggleston Works Isabel’s. Have been super happy with it’s performance so far powering the speakers off a simple ipod. Have a mr78 being restored for it as well as a spate pro-ject debut carbon that needs a cartridge upgrade. Thinking a used MT5 might be in the future...
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Retired

Mille162 - we are fortunate to live where we do for FM. That MR78 will serve you well in our market with the Penn & Temple stations (among others).
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag