AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Got to listen to these today

I got to listen to these today. They just came in and Martin Logan is coming next week to dial them in for an event on Saturday. They were pretty impressive. Definitely HUGE!!! Now if I could just find that extra $80k I had laying around the other day.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:01 AM

rob, that picture alone tells me right away that they are compromised by the room.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM

I'm hoping they will be at Axpona ... heard them in Houston at Magnolia and they didn't impress at all ... and I really like the rest of their line so something had to be wrong.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I'm hoping they will be at Axpona ... heard them in Houston at Magnolia and they didn't impress at all ... and I really like the rest of their line so something had to be wrong.
no doubt, the 'wrong' started with Magnolia ..............
Old 03-18-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
rob, that picture alone tells me right away that they are compromised by the room.
+1 too close together
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 PM

I think Martin Logan should have stuck with the Statement E2 four tower system or something similar.

They were absolutely spectacular. The Neolith is a big step down.

That's what happens when a private company gets sold to a large corporation. Economics and what sells the most takes precedence.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 03-18-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I think Martin Logan should have stuck with the Statement E2 four tower system or something similar.
while a superb product, real world application was minimal. Given it size and sheer weight (1 ton) it sure did make a 'statement' twenty years ago !

Quote:
They were absolutely spectacular. The Neolith is a big step down.
actually if optimized for ones room and given the price differentiation I'm not so sure about the 'big step down'

Quote:
That's what happens when a private company gets sold to a large corporation. Economics and what sells the most takes precedence.
Economics are a must for survival regardless of company size, for the record Gayle Sanders and Ron Sutherland never intended for the Statement to be a main stream product.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
I got to listen to these today. They just came in and Martin Logan is coming next week to dial them in for an event on Saturday. They were pretty impressive. Definitely HUGE!!! Now if I could just find that extra $80k I had laying around the other day.

This room looked familiar right down to every piece of equipment and then I saw your location. That has to be at the Magnolia across from the Galeria in Roseville. I was in that room last Sat. They sure looked nice with that wood at the bottom. I'm sure everyone is correct about the room being too small. Plus I think they haven't been optimally placed yet although the room is still a hinderance. The room has been treated.
This must all be true since my XRT1ks sound w a a y better IMHO and that's not what I expected. The XRT1ks have way more of an electrostatic-like treble than what I was hearing. I was rather shocked, really. One of the employees there has been to my house before and I said - " here, play this disc a few times on the Monoliths, especially Craig Chaquico's Summers End, which is all electric guitar, and then come over and hear it again; the Xrt1ks are sounding better than when you were last here " (been moving them around). So he's going to come over and bring another employee. I would think that the Monoliths would sound as good or possibly/probably better than the XRT1ks if given the chance. One is tempted to say they should or they better when considering that you could buy 4 Xrt1ks for the price of 2 Monoliths and have $10k left over, but we know that it doesn't necessarily work that way. Actually, that is based on what the XRT1ks cost when I bought them. They cost $10k more per pair now.
I know that McIntosh benchmarks their new speakers against the competition. Here is a picture of that.

Although there are Xrt1ks in the room, it looks like the other brands are there to compare with the XR200s.
I suppose the XRT1ks were compared to whatever Wilsons are at the same price point (now $45k/pair). I'm guessing Wilsons are the most popular comparison, but could be wrong.

EDIT I just reread that post and noticed that a ML rep would be dialing them in. I was there after the rep left... Wow...

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_

Last edited by JMAC; 04-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 PM

I have yet to hear these. The room they are in via the pic looks at least 17' wide - given there is at least 6' between them with 3' from the side walls... how big does the room have to be??

I would think when dialed in these would be gorgeous. To me - they seem like the prodigy on steroids. I have to ask - was the sub in the corner active?? If so ... I just can't imagine why.

Last edited by timm; 04-01-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:22 PM

I see many pictures of setups on line, including manufacturers at shows were ""The Rule of Thirds" isn't observed because it isn't possible. Actually, in most cases, as above, the speakers could be a little closer to each other. Some pooh-pooh "The Thirds", but it works well for me.
I don't have experience with a wall so short that the "the Rule" can't be used so, I don't know, maybe speakers can work well in a small room by being in the corners. There sure are a lot of those setups.

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_