AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Congrats! Welcome to the "Focal Family"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I decided to pull the trigger on the Kanta’s. They sound even better at home! As you can see from the pic, I am in pretty bad need of room treatment (and some artwork too). I’ll report how they break in over time.

Cheers!

Attachment 53512
I've had a pair of Sopra No2's for about 28 months now. They seemed to be "broken in" in about 100 or so hours...but I was enjoying them at the six month point and they seemed to really "settle down". After a few years of trading this, upgrading that, I'm "set" with the Focals. I suspect your Kanta's will only get better over time!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I heard the sopra 2. Very nice and if I had $14k I would get it. More bass, better soundstage, more detail. Although come to think of it, if I had $14k, I might get the Wilson Sabrina’s.
Sorry for changing the subject but I'd be surprised if you preferred the Wilson Sabrina's much more than the Kanta's. Wilson has used Focal drivers in many of their higher end models and even though I don't know for sure, I'd be willing to bet the Sabrina's also use some Focal drivers. Focal's vertical integration from the design to manufacturing of every part of their speakers is what makes them one of the best bargains in audio. Have fun with your latest purchase and don't second guess your decision. An excellent choice, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Wilson used to use Focal titanium tweeters which they haven't used in a few years - they're now using a silk tweeter. The beryllium tweeters of the Focals sets them apart not to mention the fact that all components are produced in house. Focal remains on the cutting edge of speaker design.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:35 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if i came home with kanta after my audition next week.

IF, I get a good price from my dealer. LOL...ya never know how that will go.

and to be honest,i don't even know what a "good" price would be anymore.

HI-END audio shopping is not exactly car shopping. we need an Edmund's for audio...lol

mike
Old 01-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Life is beautiful

Adam, a hearty congrats!
These are very fine speakers.
You'll enjoy them.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Looks like the DFWAC will be auditioning the Kanta 2's on Wednesday evening. I'm sure some of the guys will post their impressions!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM

I am pretty certain these speakers are going to stay in my house for a long time (unless i decide to upgrade, which has been known to happen to a few of us ).

I have no second thoughts about the decision. My current consternation is with all my other components/cables/power and the desire to upgrade THEM ALL RIGHT NOW to match the quality of the speakers. Need to slow down, get used to my room and the components and make good decisions when upgrading...slowly. (That sounded good, right?)

As for the Wilson's, I have wanted a pair since I was a starving college student in the 80's when they came out with the WAMM Series 6. That is the speaker that started this journey for me. (I ended up buying a pair of Spica TC-50's, as that's all I could afford)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I decided to pull the trigger on the Kanta’s. They sound even better at home! As you can see from the pic, I am in pretty bad need of room treatment (and some artwork too). I’ll report how they break in over time.

Cheers!

Attachment 53512
Congratulations on your fine choice of speakers and enjoy them in good health!.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 AM

Thanks Ron.

A night shot. Boy do those diffuser/traps help an immense amount.

Finally, completely blown away by the HRS Nimbus footers under the turntable. Making progress.

IMG_0311.jpg
Old 01-16-2018, 09:17 AM

rubytuesday...that looks terrific! wall treatments!!..your wife is awesome. i would be out on the street.( along with my gear)

mike