AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bricasti Design

Bricasti Design Listen To The Possibilities

Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 PM

I have mine in getting the SE upgrade this week. Unfortunately my system is in storage while I remodel - so it'll be 6 weeks before I get to hear it.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM

Looks like an M1 on top of a 650 or 750 dac. How does the M1 compare to the Sim Audio?
Old 07-02-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinla View Post
Looks like an M1 on top of a 650 or 750 dac. How does the M1 compare to the Sim Audio?
Dear lostinla, to be frank i want Sim 650D with the behemoth external ps 820S super-seeds M1. but in reality M1 really challenge sim650D with almost every angel. even 650D satisfy me with most cd’s but M1 do magic with rock, rock metal cds with extreme precision and elegancy where 650D sounds bit vialed yet super tidy. SIMS sound some times felt very peaceful silent black background but bit clinical or slightly artificial in terms of harmonics. where M1 is wild with higher noise floor with extended realistic analog sounding on the other hand sim is with extreme silent ground floor but sometimes will give you a hint of non-naturalness, sometimes.

cables plays very vital role on 650D than M1. M1 gets better and better then excellent performance with your preferred taste of cables and program, but with 650D sound felt digital edgy with in appropriate cable when you will not enjoy it if hookup carelessly.

setup(now)
( i prefer RCA over XLR )
M1
IC Siltech queen RCA
AC power cord WW Platinum Electra7
Digital WW Platinum Starlight7 AES XLR
Cardas Clear SPDIF/RCA

SIM 650D with 820S
IC Cardas Clear refection XLR
AC Siltech Ruby HILL2
Digital Siltech Golden Eagle 75 spdif/RCA

Transport MBL 1621A
Ac power cord Siltech Ruby hil 2

wall receptacle :- oyaide R1
All ac connection made directly with wall.

The above setup are made me happy with both dac. yet i always go with M1 when i listen rock mainly. and classical to pop rock and good cd recording always took place with sim650D. Paul Mauriat Golden concert cd plays so well with SIM 650D is unbelievable richness and accuracy which M1 can’t through. SIM plays most programs with higher authority, but some cases M1 plays with more soul. recently i switch the IC of both dac, with Siltech queen 650D played less energetic yet extreme precision, where as with cardas golden reference SIM 650D try to open more and plays more loudly and extended. with M1 Cardas Clear reflection lays beyond limit yet slightly uncontrolled highs observed on Santana Super natural cd, as soon i put Siltech queen RCA m1 got under control and i listen speechlessly for first 30 min that how M1 been muzzled with Siltech and make it produce cleaner sound.

i tried to stay with synergy side, all siltech, all cardas, no mixing of cables but i failed, if you have cables in hand do switch, you might find surprises, for example cardas Clear ac power cord with sim 650D make it perform clean yet muffled and vailed, where as if you put WW silver electra you will keep on smiling, but Platinum electra will made me disappointed and agitated uninvoling with Sim 650D.

So… looks like i have to keep bricasti M1, and sim both. which ones better? simply can’t tell if i leave with all siltech on 650D, M1 clearly wins with reasonable gap. so with other cables like Nordost, Zensati, JPS lab or kabula Sonsa, we never know. I am very reluctant to say any component bad as cable almost change their top 25% performance. i wish there are no cables at all.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 AM

Wow - thanks for the informational reply Bengal Finch. I contemplated a 650d as I have a 740p and 860a (pre & power). I have played with some cable changes and settled on transparent audio. One of the biggest changes with how the M1 sounded was changing my tweaked Mac mini for an Aurender. It really surprised me how much quieter and fuller sounding my system became. I also changed out my usb cable to a more basic gold usb instead of the WW platinum which I found too detailed and not as full sounding. I may start trying some different use cables such as the Totaldac D1. I recently had my M1 upgraded to the SE, but it's still in the box as we are mid- remodeling our house and my system is stored away. Probably only another 4-5 weeks and I'll be able to set it up again.

Last edited by lostinla; 07-03-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:57 AM

I also found the wireworld cable to be thin sounding. I changed to the Purist Audio Design 30th anniversary USB cable and was blown away. It has a full sound and is so musical.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
I adore this combo. Paired together the M1 and M28 is really nice.
Bricasti Design makes incredible gear. Brian is always a treat to speak with as well. :-)
I had the pleasure of listening to a Bricast M12 and M28s paired with Martin Logan CLX Art speakers and Martin Logan dual Balanced Force 212 subs. It was in Milwaukee. Flew up to listen as I was in the market for the CLX.

Was by far the best 2 channel I've ever heard. Ever. Bar none.

So I left with a deal in place for the CLX and it now has my attention on the Bricasti M1SE with network card.

I felt the DAC which I believe the M1-SE shares with the M28 was natural and resolving.

I already have an excellent Tube pre (mac c1100) so the M1 could be the ticket.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM

Curious about peoples’ setups.

Do you prefer running your M1 direct to amp or through a preamp? Currently running mine direct to M28’s but as always, wondering if there’s some benefit to be had by inserting a quality pre in the middle. I only use the network input of the M1SE fed by a Roon Server.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:09 PM
Music Nut

I've been running mine into a BMC DAC/Pre then into BMC M1 monos. In this instance, the BMC combo employs a gain management technique whereby the gain is increased in the amp, rather than attenuated, and this produced a slightly improved sound to the M1 running direct into the amps.

I'm selling the BMC combo, and receiving shipment on a Bricasti M25 in the coming week, and looking forward to running direct. Prior combinations of the M1 running direct to M28's bested multiple preamp combos I have heard.

I'll provide an update after everything is up, running and broken in.
Two Channel: YG Acoustics Carmel, REL S/3 (pair); Bricasti M25 / M20 / M1 Limited Gold, Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 32 core; Stealth Sextet V15T AES/EBU, Echole Obsession XLR, Liquid Cables by Laufer Teknik speaker / USB / power; Nordost QB8mkII, Qx1/Qv2/QKore3; Stillpoints Apertures, various Artnovion; Stillpoints Ultra SS, IsoAcoustics Gaia II
Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptman View Post
I've been running mine into a BMC DAC/Pre then into BMC M1 monos. In this instance, the BMC combo employs a gain management technique whereby the gain is increased in the amp, rather than attenuated, and this produced a slightly improved sound to the M1 running direct into the amps.

I'm selling the BMC combo, and receiving shipment on a Bricasti M25 in the coming week, and looking forward to running direct. Prior combinations of the M1 running direct to M28's bested multiple preamp combos I have heard.

I'll provide an update after everything is up, running and broken in.
Looking forward to your impressions. I’m currently considering M15 to match with my M12 as I continue to develop my “end game” system over the next couple of years.