AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Great! Thanks for the info ....

I've got some more reading to do but I think you guys are right. I don''t have a huge room to cable up. 4-6 meter IC's between amp and pre with short speaker cables should do the trick. I kinda thought that the Ayre should be more forgiving. My Spectrons input impedence is 50kOhms. Not as high as the MX-R's but should, I think, not be a problem. As always, this has been an invaluable site. I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 04-04-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Hi,Joe
Hope all goes well in your setup.

RCA terminated interconnects(Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6)(both pairs 1 meter) and long speaker cables(5 meters Neotech NES-3001 Speaker cable).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Default Quick update from my speaker manufacturer ...

Hi RodWelst,

My speaker manufacturer prefers shorter IC's and longer speaker cables. I guess he assumes non-balanced components. I'm not worried anymore about where I place my gear. I need to measure from where the preamp is relative to the amps. I'm sure some studios use miles of cheap cable when they make their recordings. 1-2 meters on my end is no big deal. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Joe
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 PM

In my 2 channel I have a pair of 1M and 1.5M XLR with 5M speaker cables. In the HT 1M and 1.5M RCA with 5M speaker front, 2M center and 30M to the rears.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

There is one (there may be more, but this one I know about) speaker cable that is very effective for long (maybe even very long) runs.

This is the OCOS cable, a constant impedance cable.

I used three 35 foot lengths of OCOS cable per channel, running through a conduit under the floor with exceptionally good results. I was driving a pair of Genesis 200 speakers (huge things - pictured below) and the OCOS performed extremely well. I still have the cables in a box somewhere.

According to the information presented by the USA distributor:

"OCOS cable maintains a constant impedance, no matter how long the run. OCOS is in fact the first and only loudspeaker cable with absolute constant impedance throughout the entire frequency range, matching that of a normal loudspeaker.The benefit being that the amplifier “sees” the speakers directly, as the cables are truly transparent sonically. A further benefit of OCOS’s constant impedance is that there is no drop-off in performance with varied lengths of cable, and even with long lengths (up to 100 meters)"

I have tried it and I liked it!!!! Any number of reviews have confirmed the effectiveness of this cable in situations where long runs of speaker wire are indicated.

This cable is a product of the speaker manufacturer Dynaudio and was distributed in the US by Sumiko. When I Googled OCOS it appears that there may be a new distributor, but the cable remains a viable product for the type situations I've described.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 04-05-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Julian
Seems like you have the new speaker itch too. Those Genesis look like they were pretty interesting.

Jim
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM

The Genesis 200's were absolutely and totally absorbing. The room pictured was 30' wide X 45' deep, and the speakers fully energized the room.

Unfortunately, I sold the house, and sold the speakers - the next house didn't have a room that accommodated these large 4 box speakers. The slender boxes to the outside were the woofers and the wider, inside boxes were the tweeter/midrange.

They did sound good, and, yes, I have traded speakers often. At last count, I've owned over 60 different pairs. (Maybe I'm an older Serge)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
The Genesis 200's were absolutely and totally absorbing. The room pictured was 30' wide X 45' deep, and the speakers fully energized the room.

Unfortunately, I sold the house, and sold the speakers - the next house didn't have a room that accommodated these large 4 box speakers. The slender boxes to the outside were the woofers and the wider, inside boxes were the tweeter/midrange.

They did sound good, and, yes, I have traded speakers often. At last count, I've owned over 60 different pairs. (Maybe I'm an older Serge)
You use the same term I used after auditioning the MBL 101 Xtremes in Singapore, "energized the room." That was the only time I have listened to a speaker system when the music did not sound like it was coming from speakers or a wall of sound in front of me. Instead as you noted the entire room was energized with sound. A musical epiphany.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
You use the same term I used after auditioning the MBL 101 Xtremes in Singapore, "energized the room." That was the only time I have listened to a speaker system when the music did not sound like it was coming from speakers or a wall of sound in front of me. Instead as you noted the entire room was energized with sound. A musical epiphany.
I would love to have the opportunity to just look at the MBL 101 Xtremes - Don't even have to hear them - They must be extraordinary, as are all MBL speakers.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:16 PM

One can always go Transparent and they custom tune the network boxes to your gear/speakers and cable length to keep impedance mismatch and reflections at bay.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-05-2010 at 04:21 PM.