AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-25-2019, 09:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Stephen.......Thank you.

Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Yes, TAP is near the source end.
But to be clear TAP has NO physical connections to any of the cable’s conductors or shields.

When we first introduced the TAP based cables, we would demonstrate them at trade shows and at dealer events. We built TAP modules that could be slipped over an RCA connector. This allows us to demonstrate an RCA interconnect without TAP and then quickly slip the TAP modules onto the exact same cable. This allows people to hear exactly what the TAP modules contribute to the performance.
Very cool.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Yes, TAP is near the source end.
But to be clear TAP has NO physical connections to any of the cable’s conductors or shields.

When we first introduced the TAP based cables, we would demonstrate them at trade shows and at dealer events. We built TAP modules that could be slipped over an RCA connector. This allows us to demonstrate an RCA interconnect without TAP and then quickly slip the TAP modules onto the exact same cable. This allows people to hear exactly what the TAP modules contribute to the performance.
Caelin.......Thank you for the clarification. I suspected that was also the case for connection of the coaxial S/PDIF cable. Just wanted to be certain.

While researching the Sigma USB cable and the Transverse Axial Polarizer I read the Patent Application for the DEVICE THAT USES ELECTROMAGNETIC POLARIZATION TO IMPROVE AUDIO CABLE SOUND QUALITY. I read where it was stated the invention should be mounted near the source end of the signal cable for maximum effectiveness. I was making sure this was also true for the coaxial S/PDIF cable.

The Patent Application is an interesting read, and yes it is clear there is no physical electrical connection between the TAP and the actual signal conductors. Once again, thank you for the clarification.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Caelin.......Thank you for the clarification. I suspected that was also the case for connection of the coaxial S/PDIF cable. Just wanted to be certain.

While researching the Sigma USB cable and the Transverse Axial Polarizer I read the Patent Application for the DEVICE THAT USES ELECTROMAGNETIC POLARIZATION TO IMPROVE AUDIO CABLE SOUND QUALITY. I read where it was stated the invention should be mounted near the source end of the signal cable for maximum effectiveness. I was making sure this was also true for the coaxial S/PDIF cable.

The Patent Application is an interesting read, and yes it is clear there is no physical electrical connection between the TAP and the actual signal conductors. Once again, thank you for the clarification.
Pretty interesting patent application, isn't it? I read it with much interest. I'm particularly intrigued that if the tranverse and longitudinal EM waves can be measured with continuous data, then a 2-level, 5 or 6 factor DOE with quadratics could be used to determine optimal "settings" of the factors (e.g. no. of discs, disc spacing, ID/OD diameter ratios, etc.) and elucidate any interactions and well as derive a transfer function.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 PM

The normal and predominant mode of propagation is the transverse mode when a signal is transmitted across a wire. This means that the EM field radiates in a radial pattern perpendicular to the direction of the wire. This is easy to measure. A longitudinal wave would move in an axial direction in alignment with the wire. Supposedly, this would nearly be zero but for reasons that are beyond simple explanations there does exist a residual longitudinal wave. It is a very small value. However this wave will impose a temporal (phase) anomaly. This is very difficult to measure. Evidence that it does exist is the simple fact that the TAP affects the sound quality. If there were no longitudinal wave and the wave pattern was purely transverse then there would be no effect.

Now the disclaimer: As stated in the patent application this is only the theory of operation. The reason that the TAP works may be an entirely different mechanism such as effects related to common mode wave interactions. A utility patent is a description of a unique device that can be clearly described. The validity of the patent has no relevance to the actual scientific reason that it works. Otherwise most patents would be invalid because most things that we think of as proven scientific principles are actually just theories. We can clearly demonstrate the effects of TAP and I created its physical characteristics based entirely upon the concepts of different modes of wave propagation.

Last edited by CGabriel; 06-25-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Stephen.......I have been impressed enough with the Shunyata Sigma USB cable that I saw fit to order the Shunyata Sigma digital coaxial cable today. I should probably have it in a week.
The Alpha USB impressed me so much that I went with the Alpha SPDIF coax cables as well. The latter delivered a far bigger improvement, but only because it was deployed downstream of the Alpha USB as I indicate below. The Alphas are fantastic - I suspect you will be impressed with the Sigma as well.

Innuos Zenith -> Alpha USB -> Hugo M-Scaler -> Alpha SPDIF -> Hugo TT2
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

kennyb123.......I appreciate the feedback on your experience with the Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF cable. Based on my outstanding experience and impressions of the Sigma USB cable I have every reason to believe my experience with the Shunyata Sigma coaxial S/PDIF cable will parallel the USB cable encounter. My preferred connection scheme between the Aurender N10 and the Esoteric K-01X DAC input is coaxial S/PDIF so that I am able to take full advantage of the oven controlled crystal oscillator clock the N10 employs in support of the S/PDIF outputs. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival on my new Shunyata Sigma coaxial digital cable.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
The Alpha USB impressed me so much that I went with the Alpha SPDIF coax cables as well. The latter delivered a far bigger improvement, but only because it was deployed downstream of the Alpha USB as I indicate below. The Alphas are fantastic - I suspect you will be impressed with the Sigma as well.

Innuos Zenith -> Alpha USB -> Hugo M-Scaler -> Alpha SPDIF -> Hugo TT2
Very interesting.

I've found the same thing on the "upstream end", that the new Shunyata Alpha Ethernet cable brings a level of improvement quite comparable to the Shunyata Alpha USB cable. Which is to say, considerable.

With all the various experiments I've conducted with my digital streaming front-end and various configurations over the last two or three months, I've come to the same conclusion as Hans Beekhuzen regarding digital playback, particularly streaming-based digital playback..EVERYTHING matters.

Thank you for this interesting post.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've found the same thing on the "upstream end", that the new Shunyata Alpha Ethernet cable brings a level of improvement quite comparable to the Shunyata Alpha USB cable. Which is to say, considerable.
That’s great to hear. I’ve been hugely impressed with the bang-for-the-buck of the Alpha series. I intend to try the Alpha Ethernet as well - but I’m waiting for the EtherRegen to land first. The Alpha Ethernet will cover the distance from the EtherRegen to my Innuos Zenith.

My dealer is trying to talk me into upgrading from my Alpha USB to a Sigma USB. I’ll get there eventually.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256