AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

Tommy, yes at the moment it is plugged into the PP. I have yet to change the plug to a US socket so it will have to do for now.

Serge, I am also concerned. The sideboard on the right would have to go, giving two more feet of width but even then the room is only 14 feet wide (same as yours I think). Funny thing is I saw a pair of westlake speakers at a dealer yesterday and the room was also 14 feet wide and the speakers (which are similar in size and statue to the westminsters) did not look too big at all.

It will require a long and hard look at the room again. Having said that, since I move quite often it will not be the end of the world if there are minor issues.

But for right now, the strads are singing pretty although I am sure their difficult to drive nature is most likely holding back the Ongaku.

howie
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Here you go Dan.

MA Recordings

On looking up the recording just now I found out that they have released this high resolution version. Gotta add it to my list.

This is the normal cd version. A bit cheaper than $40.00 at $16.00

MA Recordings

howie
Howie.......I appreciate that. Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Here you go Dan.

MA Recordings

On looking up the recording just now I found out that they have released this high resolution version. Gotta add it to my list.

This is the normal cd version. A bit cheaper than $40.00 at $16.00

MA Recordings

howie
Thanks Howie, I've always wanted to purchase their high res DVD-ROM but didn't know which one to try. Now I know
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Howie...beautiful So glad the Ongakus are meeting/exceeding your expectations. It's hard for me to see how they would not, they are such beautiful amps to behold and I am sure to listen to
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Howie...beautiful So glad the Ongakus are meeting/exceeding your expectations. It's hard for me to see how they would not, they are such beautiful amps to behold and I am sure to listen to
Cyril,

Thank you. It has exceeded my expectations. Whilst I acknowledge that the sound can further be improved by sorting out the room a little and adding a preamp, I really have no complaints.

howie
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM

HowieB great review . Am sure the Ongaku's a keeper . Quite a radical switch from the Soulution(if I am not mistaken), I reckon your listening perceptions may change as well.
Wish you many hours of listening bliss !
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

Howiebrou,

Now that you've had several months, can you talk a little more about the 211 tube and your thoughts on it? I have a 300B amp and have recently begun speaking with a custom amp maker who specializes in a similar approach to a 211 tube as Kondo san did. So I'm ultimately trying to ascertain whether I want to jump at the 211 or stick with 300B's. I would, therefore, welcome any other input you might have and if you could share some more about what you compared before choosing the 211. Thanks!

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-18-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM
What?

Great video, sounds amazing too
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Howiebrou,

Now that you've had several months, can you talk a little more about the 211 tube and your thoughts on it? I have a 300B amp and have recently begun speaking with a custom amp maker who specializes in a similar approach to a 211 tube as Kondo san did. So I'm ultimately trying to ascertain whether I want to jump at the 211 or stick with 300B's. I would, therefore, welcome any other input you might have and if you could share some more about what you compared before choosing the 211. Thanks!
I have not listened to too many 300B amps but I would characterise them as being ultra smooth, romantic almost like velvet in their presentation. The 211 valve is very different and almost not valve like in that it feels very powerful. Strings are plucked and there is a palpable immediacy about the way instruments are performed and voices are heard. Relatively you could say the 211 has an attacking presentation, almost aggressive yet retains the fabulous midrange that makes SETs so desirable. Perhaps one could say coarse compared to 300B but not compared to SS amps.

I continue to be amazed by the Ongaku and now know why it has been such a coveted piece.

howie
Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
Great video, sounds amazing too
Thanks Greg.

I need to find some way to record the sound better as it sounds nothing like real life!

howie