AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Ongaku First Impressions

Summary: The Kondo Audio Note Ongaku is a hell of an amplifier!

The end.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post

The end.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:

The end.
Howie.......You are one hell of a wordsmith. You completely captured my imagination. Unfortunately that's all you captured. My imagination is having to work overtime to fill in all the omissions in your otherwise very fine review.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Glad you enjoyed my review Ivan, Dan

Actually I have been meaning to provide my initial thoughts for a couple of days but kept getting drawn back to the music. That in itself is a significant development.

In fact just as I started writing this thread, I heard a creaking door open followed by footsteps. It scared the hell out of me as I am typing in a room adjacent to the living room where the hi fi is. I actually got up and went to look. Turned out to be a soundtrack on a demo disc that I had never played on the Sooloos. A bit too realistic one might think.

As above demonstrates, actions speak louder than words and I have to say that the last few days my listening habits have changed somewhat. The Sooloos makes it much too easy to bounce around different albums with the patience of a cat dowsed with itching powder. Now that the Ongaku has arrived I am happy to let the album play to the end (hence the fright I got).

I have read reviews where the reviewer claims to have a new set of music due to the gear under assessment but I have to admit that this has actually happened to me at last. No equipment set up has led to such a profound change in the sound coming from my speakers. The Einstein integrated was lovely the Soulution sublime, but the Ongaku is really something else.

It doesn't go louder than others, go deeper, have more transparency or even a wider soundstage but you know what? I don't care. I think I have hit what the Shindo folks have also hit. A time and place where you don't care why it sounds the way it does or how it does it, you just know it's right.

Voices sparkle with vibrancy, the singer is not just in the room but is giving you a personal audition. You feel the musicians looking your way, it is a bit eery in fact to think how in the room they are. I don't profess any piece of equipment being the same as live music but this is certainly the next best thing because you find yourself grinning like a cartoon mutt. Even my 3 1/2 year old son and 2 1/2 year old daughter came and sat down on my ottoman and just gazed at the rack listening.

There is something organic about the way tubes and the Ongaku portray the music. I have actually found that I have reached for LPs LESS than before because the digital is so good and fresh. The energy which Kondo is renowned for is evident in spades and you just find yourself enjoying it whatever your activity. There is no more leaning forward and concentrating, there is just enjoyment.

In fact the Ongaku has driven the strads with surprising ease. The volume pot has never gone past 11 o'clock and rarely goes to 10 but I find myself listening at much higher volumes than before. Noise? none. Headache? None.

I apologise in advance if you wanted a technical cross examination of the nuances of the Ongaku because this certainly is not one. It is description of the fulfillment one gets when the pin drops and you realise you have almost reached Nirvana.

Almost? I say this not because of possible Tannoy Westminsters but because I know that the Ongaku is improved when a preamp is added to the mix. The difference is quite marked imho, so that means the journey can continue for some time yet

howie
Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed my review Ivan, Dan

Actually I have been meaning to provide my initial thoughts for a couple of days but kept getting drawn back to the music. That in itself is a significant development.

In fact just as I started writing this thread, I heard a creaking door open followed by footsteps. It scared the hell out of me as I am typing in a room adjacent to the living room where the hi fi is. I actually got up and went to look. Turned out to be a soundtrack on a demo disc that I had never played on the Sooloos. A bit too realistic one might think.

As above demonstrates, actions speak louder than words and I have to say that the last few days my listening habits have changed somewhat. The Sooloos makes it much too easy to bounce around different albums with the patience of a cat dowsed with itching powder. Now that the Ongaku has arrived I am happy to let the album play to the end (hence the fright I got).

I have read reviews where the reviewer claims to have a new set of music due to the gear under assessment but I have to admit that this has actually happened to me at last. No equipment set up has led to such a profound change in the sound coming from my speakers. The Einstein integrated was lovely the Soulution sublime, but the Ongaku is really something else.

It doesn't go louder than others, go deeper, have more transparency or even a wider soundstage but you know what? I don't care. I think I have hit what the Shindo folks have also hit. A time and place where you don't care why it sounds the way it does or how it does it, you just know it's right.

Voices sparkle with vibrancy, the singer is not just in the room but is giving you a personal audition. You feel the musicians looking your way, it is a bit eery in fact to think how in the room they are. I don't profess any piece of equipment being the same as live music but this is certainly the next best thing because you find yourself grinning like a cartoon mutt. Even my 3 1/2 year old son and 2 1/2 year old daughter came and sat down on my ottoman and just gazed at the rack listening.

There is something organic about the way tubes and the Ongaku portray the music. I have actually found that I have reached for LPs LESS than before because the digital is so good and fresh. The energy which Kondo is renowned for is evident in spades and you just find yourself enjoying it whatever your activity. There is no more leaning forward and concentrating, there is just enjoyment.

In fact the Ongaku has driven the strads with surprising ease. The volume pot has never gone past 11 o'clock and rarely goes to 10 but I find myself listening at much higher volumes than before. Noise? none. Headache? None.

I apologise in advance if you wanted a technical cross examination of the nuances of the Ongaku because this certainly is not one. It is description of the fulfillment one gets when the pin drops and you realise you have almost reached Nirvana.

Almost? I say this not because of possible Tannoy Westminsters but because I know that the Ongaku is improved when a preamp is added to the mix. The difference is quite marked imho, so that means the journey can continue for some time yet

howie
Great review ... and I learnt something similar to what I had experienced all along. Sorry to hijack, but thats exactly how my entire Meridian combo sounded to me. I think your next move for the Kondo preamp - be it the M77, M1000 or the "entry" level G70 would drive you towards audio nirvana ... with a pair of Westminsters ..... OOOOOOO !

Congrats! I hope I can find time to drop by HK after my meeting on weekend 16th Sep. If you are free .... if not, I will just fly straight home from Shanghai.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 08-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Great review ... and I learnt something similar to what I had experienced all along. Sorry to hijack, but thats exactly how my entire Meridian combo sounded to me. I think your next move for the Kondo preamp - be it the M77, M1000 or the "entry" level G70 would drive you towards audio nirvana ... with a pair of Westminsters ..... OOOOOOO !

Congrats! I hope I can find time to drop by HK after my meeting on weekend 16th Sep. If you are free .... if not, I will just fly straight home from Shanghai.

Cheers!
Jerry, I am sure the Meridians do the same for you! I should be here in September.....
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Check out this badly recorded video of my set up!

[ame=http://youtu.be/4H8sv2hiVqM]Kondo Ongaku two - YouTube[/ame]
Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Sounds and looks good Howie. When are the wall units arriving (Westminsters)? I can't believe how well the Strad's play close to walls.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
Sounds and looks good Howie. When are the wall units arriving (Westminsters)? I can't believe how well the Strad's play close to walls.
Thanks.

No wall units on order yet. Still thinking. The Strads would prefer more room but c'est la vie! There is a bass trap behind each one that helps.

howie
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Howie.......I enjoyed your review. It is clear you have found a component that is thrilling you. I am happy for you. The video is good, too. I'll be purchasing that recording if I can find it.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A