AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM
bart's Avatar
bart bart is online now
Life is beautiful


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 13,786
Default

Dan, life is good, even as a spectator, which I'm sure I'll stay for a long long time in this matter.
__________________
Stereo: Halgorythme pre and mono blocks, Burmester 061 - 931 - 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC
AV: Halgorythme mono block (center) & stereo block (surrounds), Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld SE & E
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM
KenSea KenSea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 85
Default I never knew we were talking bargain audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Dan...

Only 1800 dollars per watt !!
What a bargain !
Go for them. Life is short !
Did someone change the subject
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2014, 01:16 AM
kev313 kev313 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bart.......Nearly $79,000 for 8 watts per channel is a little more than I can muster. That doesn't even count the preamp, sources and speakers. I will have to remain on the sideline as a spectator. She is a beauty, almost like jewelry.
The street price for the Souga can be as little as 2/3 of that price. Make of that what you will. Mark up. Distributor issues. Former distributor issues. Combination of all factors.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM
adhesiv's Avatar
adhesiv adhesiv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 602
Default

Even at 2/3 I prefer to spectate as well.
__________________
Jayson
Analog: Garrard 301 (Hammertone) | Woodsong Audio Plinth | Schick | Ortofon SPU 90th| A23 SUT (SPU)
Everything Else: Devialet D-Premier | KEF LS50 | Sennheiser HD700 | GEEK Out / Pulse X
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Avantgarde Avantgarde is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
The street price for the Souga can be as little as 2/3 of that price. Make of that what you will. Mark up. Distributor issues. Former distributor issues. Combination of all factors.
Hi, Bob, from Rhapsody Music and Cinema here. We have been the US Kondo distributor since January of 2012. As you state that there are "distributor issues", do you mind elaborating on our "issues". In the last two weeks we have delivered two sets of Kagura amplifiers, one Ongaku demo amplifier, one M1000 Mk II flagship preamp and a G70/GE1 to all very happy Kondo customers.

Just wondering what our "issues" are so that we can address them....thx
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
howiebrou's Avatar
howiebrou howiebrou is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cloud Nine
Posts: 3,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantgarde View Post
Hi, Bob, from Rhapsody Music and Cinema here. We have been the US Kondo distributor since January of 2012. As you state that there are "distributor issues", do you mind elaborating on our "issues". In the last two weeks we have delivered two sets of Kagura amplifiers, one Ongaku demo amplifier, one M1000 Mk II flagship preamp and a G70/GE1 to all very happy Kondo customers.

Just wondering what our "issues" are so that we can address them....thx
As a former Ongaku owner, I would really love it if you could tell us more about the Kagura mono blocks. They look fantastic!

Thanks

howie
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM
kev313 kev313 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantgarde View Post
Hi, Bob, from Rhapsody Music and Cinema here. We have been the US Kondo distributor since January of 2012. As you state that there are "distributor issues", do you mind elaborating on our "issues". In the last two weeks we have delivered two sets of Kagura amplifiers, one Ongaku demo amplifier, one M1000 Mk II flagship preamp and a G70/GE1 to all very happy Kondo customers. Just wondering what our "issues" are so that we can address them....thx
Happy to...I apologize that it wasn't at all clear. My comment referred mostly to the public discussion in ads on another forum lead by the prior agent for Kondo. Sorry about that.

Edit: Upon rereading my post above, I'm afraid I still wasn't sufficiently clear. To clarify, the discussion prior to my original post raised the issue of pricing. With my post I intended to raise the issue that for those buyers interested in seeking it out, Sougas can, or at least could, be had at a significant discount in the grey market. It was to that difference that I asked others to "make of it" what they would. I was perhaps being overly broad - or lazy - when I suggested that it could be partly attributed to distributor "issues," although for buyers the price could be just that. The applicability of the word depends on the point of view, I suppose. I'm not in the audio business, so I hold no opinion for the reason for the mark up. I should add that I don't have a problem with people making profits for their work and support dealers by buying new.

I also erred in the fractional description of the price and reported it to be significantly higher than the amount that the unit was offered to me at.

To be clear, I did not mean to suggest that there are delivery problems in the current chain. Best of luck with the brand.

Last edited by kev313; 04-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Avantgarde Avantgarde is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Happy to...I apologize that it wasn't at all clear. My comment referred mostly to the public discussion in ads on another forum lead by the prior agent for Kondo. Sorry about that.

Edit: Upon rereading my post above, I'm afraid I still wasn't sufficiently clear. To clarify, the discussion prior to my original post raised the issue of pricing. With my post I intended to raise the issue that for those buyers interested in seeking it out, Sougas can, or at least could, be had at a significant discount in the grey market. It was to that difference that I asked others to "make of it" what they would. I was perhaps being overly broad - or lazy - when I suggested that it could be partly attributed to distributor "issues," although for buyers the price could be just that. The applicability of the word depends on the point of view, I suppose. I'm not in the audio business, so I hold no opinion for the reason for the mark up. I should add that I don't have a problem with people making profits for their work and support dealers by buying new.

I also erred in the fractional description of the price and reported it to be significantly higher than the amount that the unit was offered to me at.

To be clear, I did not mean to suggest that there are delivery problems in the current chain. Best of luck with the brand.
Hi Kev, not a problem at all and I do understand about the pricing issues that have been raised on the other forum. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something that I was missing. If there were any issues then we would address them for sure. Thx for the clarification! Appreciate it. Bob
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Avantgarde Avantgarde is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
As a former Ongaku owner, I would really love it if you could tell us more about the Kagura mono blocks. They look fantastic!

Thanks

howie
Hi Howie, Yes the Kagura are special. I understand that the pricing is "way out there". The Kagura is very expensive but it is Kondo's flagship product and it's not so out of control if you compare it to the former flagship amplifier the Gakuon II.

What the Kagura does is allow the same type, and actually even another level of sound than the Ongaku provides. The biggest difference is that the Kagura can drive most real world speakers in a fairly good size room. They can driver most speakers that are > 87db efficient. With the Ongaku you really need to be >91db efficient, although listening levels and room size always play into the equation as well.

When I first heard the Kagura my thought was the Ongaku was obsolete. After becoming familiar now I realize that the sound is very similar between the Ongaku and the Kagura, but the speaker matching/room size/listening levels is all turned upside down with the Kagura.

My personal Kaguras are at Key Kim's place at the moment. Key will be doing a an upcoming review at Stereo Times for the Kagura. I will have the Kagura here at Rhapsody by the end of May. Anyone that is in the NY area or visiting is always welcome to come in for a listen. I drive the Raidho D1's and D3's and the Magicos S1's, S3's and S5's currently as this is what I have available but for instance Key is driving Kharma and Consensus speakers. That's the fun part with the Kagura you can pretty much drive any speaker that you prefer.

Thx for asking about the Kagura and again anyone is always welcome to come in for a listen!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
howiebrou's Avatar
howiebrou howiebrou is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cloud Nine
Posts: 3,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantgarde View Post
Hi Howie, Yes the Kagura are special. I understand that the pricing is "way out there". The Kagura is very expensive but it is Kondo's flagship product and it's not so out of control if you compare it to the former flagship amplifier the Gakuon II.

What the Kagura does is allow the same type, and actually even another level of sound than the Ongaku provides. The biggest difference is that the Kagura can drive most real world speakers in a fairly good size room. They can driver most speakers that are > 87db efficient. With the Ongaku you really need to be >91db efficient, although listening levels and room size always play into the equation as well.

When I first heard the Kagura my thought was the Ongaku was obsolete. After becoming familiar now I realize that the sound is very similar between the Ongaku and the Kagura, but the speaker matching/room size/listening levels is all turned upside down with the Kagura.

My personal Kaguras are at Key Kim's place at the moment. Key will be doing a an upcoming review at Stereo Times for the Kagura. I will have the Kagura here at Rhapsody by the end of May. Anyone that is in the NY area or visiting is always welcome to come in for a listen. I drive the Raidho D1's and D3's and the Magicos S1's, S3's and S5's currently as this is what I have available but for instance Key is driving Kharma and Consensus speakers. That's the fun part with the Kagura you can pretty much drive any speaker that you prefer.

Thx for asking about the Kagura and again anyone is always welcome to come in for a listen!
Neat. Thanks for the feedback. When I had the Ongaku i almost went for the Gakuon mono blocks. But something kept drawing me back to the Ongaku and its simplicity. In fact, Masaki-San preferred the Ongaku to the Gakuon which he considered less pure, more complicated and more coarse in comparison with the Ongaku. If the Kagura can replicate the Ongaku but bring with it more power, it will be difficult to resist!

I have to say the new look of black with copper looks fantastic. I always thought they should have offered a black Ongaku.

howie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase