AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4151  
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 528
Default

1. It is not Absolute Sound, but Robert Harley, from whom I bought his first audiophile book back in 1994. A foundation you may have missed.

2. I keep the TONE of the sourced material through the Inspire LP-27's PRE outs going directly to my SUB. There is no filtering in that signal. This blends perfectly with the amp's high-passed full range signal which itself preserves that TONE at those higher frequencies.

3. The nominal low-end spec in the mains is usually the lowest frequency from an actual roll-off that starts much earlier, so you are already missing much of the assumed 50Hz-up from your mains as it is.

4. I was very surprised to hear my amp develop such dynamics and finesse, as I had never heard it do that before the filtering thing, in spite of its great sound out of the box.

5. I assume your position would also preclude you from replacing CAPS, or the like, not to "affect" the original setup. I bet you also believe 1's and 0's are always the same ... Give me a break!

BTW, you keep arguing about the length of cables. I don't understand the relevance of that known fact in the context of the filtering setup I propose. The length of those filters is about a couple inches and these go at the end of existing RCA interconnects feeding the amp. The length of bass cables have nothing to do with this approach.

Finally, there are more sophisticated ways to filter low frequencies in support of better dynamics, headroom and the like in a flea-powered amp-based system which otherwise excels in low-to mid and high frequencies. The proposed simple, inexpensive and apparently non-intrusive filters are a very easy and affordable way of testing your preconceptions.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 09-21-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4152  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Wgarcia Wgarcia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 41
Default

There are many misunderstandings by you of what I've posted so I'll try to clear some of them up, as hey…I'm a giver, and be warned I might involve what I call humor in this post. I test my mains speakers frequency response by listening to them…a test CD clearly shows where the bass diminishes, and an RT analyzer can also be implemented if one needs to. I'm not missing anything. Biamping, which is exactly what you propose, has been around a LONG time and not a revelatory concept regardless of Robert Harley's book which, indeed, I missed. The length of single ended cables to MY powered woofers in your described biamp scenario would be about 10 feet each (although when I tried this setup I used a much shorter cable as described in comments you claimed to not understand), and indeed have zero to do with the filters festooned to the power amp…more to do with noise and signal loss of long unbalanced cables, something I've dealt with professionally, personally, and in my role as a Master Gardener and mechanical watch collector. My point about the preamp signal going directly to the the subs was also missed, as I noted that a REL high level signal uses the signal from the POWER AMP, and thus the tone of same. My Fire Bottle is not the "flea watt" version, it's the 12 watt per side HO version which is likely using a couple of its watts when I listen at normal levels and has plenty of headroom, unlike an amp with 3 or 4 watts total…big difference there with finesse and dynamics for days. Assuming my position without paying attention to what I actually say seems like a waste of time for you, but I get it…you hear what you want to hear. Also note that I DID test your Filterpalooza concept (you missed that? really?) and found it not up to my standards as an active audio professional with ears of pure gold (maybe more like pewter but hey…I'm old). Thanks anyway for sharing your joy of discovering biamping, and I'm sure there are people out there in foreign lands or Los Angeles who will line up to join you in the Flea Watt with Filters campaign for Dynamics and Headroom (FWFCDAH). Soldier on!
Reply With Quote
  #4153  
Old 09-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgarcia View Post
There are many misunderstandings by you of what I've posted so I'll try to clear some of them up, as hey…I'm a giver, and be warned I might involve what I call humor in this post. I test my mains speakers frequency response by listening to them…a test CD clearly shows where the bass diminishes, and an RT analyzer can also be implemented if one needs to. I'm not missing anything. Biamping, which is exactly what you propose, has been around a LONG time and not a revelatory concept regardless of Robert Harley's book which, indeed, I missed. The length of single ended cables to MY powered woofers in your described biamp scenario would be about 10 feet each (although when I tried this setup I used a much shorter cable as described in comments you claimed to not understand), and indeed have zero to do with the filters festooned to the power amp…more to do with noise and signal loss of long unbalanced cables, something I've dealt with professionally, personally, and in my role as a Master Gardener and mechanical watch collector. My point about the preamp signal going directly to the the subs was also missed, as I noted that a REL high level signal uses the signal from the POWER AMP, and thus the tone of same. My Fire Bottle is not the "flea watt" version, it's the 12 watt per side HO version which is likely using a couple of its watts when I listen at normal levels and has plenty of headroom, unlike an amp with 3 or 4 watts total…big difference there with finesse and dynamics for days. Assuming my position without paying attention to what I actually say seems like a waste of time for you, but I get it…you hear what you want to hear. Also note that I DID test your Filterpalooza concept (you missed that? really?) and found it not up to my standards as an active audio professional with ears of pure gold (maybe more like pewter but hey…I'm old). Thanks anyway for sharing your joy of discovering biamping, and I'm sure there are people out there in foreign lands or Los Angeles who will line up to join you in the Flea Watt with Filters campaign for Dynamics and Headroom (FWFCDAH). Soldier on!
You know, I'm European, and for someone with such a Latin American last name, you are very derisive in your lousy comments. Get a life and get away from my posts!

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 09-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4154  
Old 09-22-2017, 03:07 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is online now
No Work, No Worries



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 50,031
Default

Wgarcia.......

Musica Amantem.......


Guys, this is not AK, WBF, or some other forum where this tone is routinely tolerated. This is Audio Aficionado, the Friendly Forum for High-End Audio. I have been reading this back and forth barb throwing for a couple days now and it has reached the point where it needs to stop. This is not how our members demonstrate respect for differing opinions.

The ultimate control of content on this forum is in the hands of the forum administrators. I suggest you two agree to disagree if necessary and drop the masquerading digs, barbs, and personal attacks. I can do a thread cleanup much faster than you two can continue this sparing match, and I can carry it to a more restrictive level if push comes to shove. Kindly adjust the manner in which you are communicating on this forum. Consider this a one time friendly warning to both of you.
__________________
Dan


Last edited by jdandy; 09-22-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4155  
Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Musica Amantem Musica Amantem is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 528
Default

You're absolutely right. Although I was not the one who started all this. I won't reply to this person anymore. Thanks for your patience.
Reply With Quote
  #4156  
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, AB Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 64,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
You're absolutely right. Although I was not the one who started all this. I won't reply to this person anymore. Thanks for your patience.
Much appreciated!
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) PS AUDIO PPP(8) RGPC 1200(20) RGPC POLE PIG(4) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, SVS SCISSOR LIFT, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM STARLIGHT HDMI, GOLD ECLIPSE CABLES & SILVER ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A200 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP900 CD/SACD PRECISION TRANSPORT, DC901 PRECISION DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL VOICING EQUALIZER, T-1100 FM STEREO TUNER, PS520 POWER SUPPLY, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 4V-4V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MS750(3) MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K01-X SE CD/SACD PLAYER, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) OPPO-BDP95, PS AUDIO PPP(8) PUREPOWER 1050(4) RGPC 1200(15) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE PRO SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, BRYSTON BHA-1, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S.
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD w/ OUTER RING & CLAMP, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, KLAUDIO RCM, HRS-MXR REFERENCE 4V RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, PS AUDIO PPP, RGPC 1200, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP LOADED, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 2V-3V-2V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, STILLPOINTS, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS IN RED VIOLIN FINISH, JL FATHOM F113(2) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, GIK PICTURE PANELS, PS AUDIO P10, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S

Library System: ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO SYSTEM M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS(2), C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E03 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2 SANTOS ROSEWOOD, AERIAL SW12 SUBS SANTOS ROSEWOOD w/ BASES(2), CANTON REFERENCE K3, DALI EPICON 8 RUBY MACASSAR, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, FURUTECH SILVER ARROWS PHONO CABLE, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA PS8, RGPC 1200(2) STEVE BLINN COMPLETE CUSTOM RACK, ASC STUDIO TRAPS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, BIT-15(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Reply With Quote
  #4157  
Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Analog Addict Analog Addict is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 140
Default

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

A blast from the past

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #4158  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
You all ever have your rectifier glow blue/purple for a split second when powering on? What is this? And is it a sign of a short active life left on the tube?
Yes, some tubes just do that. No worries.
Reply With Quote
  #4159  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Wgarcia.......

Musica Amantem.......


Guys, this is not AK, WBF, or some other forum where this tone is routinely tolerated. This is Audio Aficionado, the Friendly Forum for High-End Audio. I have been reading this back and forth barb throwing for a couple days now and it has reached the point where it needs to stop. This is not how our members demonstrate respect for differing opinions.

The ultimate control of content on this forum is in the hands of the forum administrators. I suggest you two agree to disagree if necessary and drop the masquerading digs, barbs, and personal attacks. I can do a thread cleanup much faster than you two can continue this sparing match, and I can carry it to a more restrictive level if push comes to shove. Kindly adjust the manner
in which you are communicating on this forum. Consider this a one time friendly warning to both of you.

This is message board and I can't 'hear' anything. Audio is an experimental hobby that can become a black hole. If your rig sounds good to you...it is good.
Reply With Quote
  #4160  
Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Roscoe65, I ran some comparisons on my home equipment. I brought in a $200 power cord, a $500 one and a $1000 one. Compared them vs my Belden 14AWG shielded cable which I picked up for $8. Tried them on 4 power amps, two preamps, a DAC and a CD player. Couldn't hear any difference between any of them on any piece of gear.

But there are certainly people around who claim to hear significant differences and who have invested many thousands of dollars into them.

These Inspire SE amps throw up such a beautiful, open sound, that they would seem to be an amp which would benefit, if there actually is a difference.
A highly respected audio engineer, Dusty Vawter - who designed amps & DACs for Audio Alchemy, then more of the same for Channel Islands, and is now back with Audio Alchemy / Elac - once told me that if a power cord could make an audible difference on any of his gear then that would be proof that he hadn't done a good job designing the power supply. For he put extensive work into cleaning, regulating, and filtering the power in his systems.
I use old basic Harmonic Technology PC's on my Inspire gear. *I* like them. There are two things I am sure of about with wire. There are differences and high price does not equate to great sound.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2017 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Sound Anchors
Sound Anchors
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Wyred 4 Sound
Wyred 4 Sound
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase