AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 AM

Default The Sasha/Wilson Tweeter Debate

For those of you who haven't seen this thread, here you go:

Last edited by admin; 03-16-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: No links to other forums please
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 AM

That's insane! So much to do with toe-in, Sasha's head angulation, cabling (including very good power cords)...
And of course the amp; I have heard the SASHA rendering a totally unacceptable result with the NAGRA 845 monoblocks. This was hurting my ears too.

When you acquire a so revealing speaker you can expect a full year of tweaking/experiments and changing some other equipments in the system too. This is Not a Plug & Play speaker, far from it!

The burn-in process is also quote important to reach the tweeter/high frequency naturalness; like 200hrs min.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 AM

I weighed in early with my POV on that thread, under the name of "tricon_dave". As Cellindo points out so well, amplifier matching is critical and the rest of the set up must be carefully paid attention to, including the most critical component -- the room. However, there is also the possibility that we just might hear differently. What I hear as crystal clear extended highs, another might hear as bright, overly prominent, or even a ragged treble response.

I have an audio buddy who just loves his big Spendors and thinks that they are the "near perfect" speaker. He runs them with a well regarded large solid state amp. To me his system sounds dark and muted, with an overdone mid-range, and is missing a lot of musical detail outside of the mid-range. It basically sounds boring and unbalanced to me. But there is a funny thing, he posts on a British forum and has a propensity to compare his system to my Sasha based system. As if the Sashas are a "benchmark" for others to measure themselves against!

Also, if you read some of the posts on that thread, there are several people with a point of view who haven't heard the Sashas but are basing their judgements on measurements or a driver that they heard in another speaker such as Focal. Unless you have heard the Sashas properly set up (not always the case at a dealer) then you really don't have a valid opinion. But hey, that doesn't stop us!

Wilson, Magico, McIntosh...leaders in the industry and as such will also be a target for many people. If we are satisfied with the music that we create with our Wilson based systems, I say we just smile and let others have their fun! After all, it's just an audio debate!
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Dear Daveneumann,

You are perfectly right. Everyone has his own taste when it comes to speaker choice; exactly like wines (you can't say Bordeaux are better than Burgundy or a very well done foreign wine).
However, the guy posting on Audiogon was owning Sophia 2 before..! So he should know very well how a tweeter sounds in a Wilson speaker. When he bought the SASHA, he was expecting sweeter highs (and this is true btw on the Sasha v.s. the Sophia 2).
So, his current problem with the Sasha is only coming from elsewhere in his system.
He will need some time and patience/trials to fix it.

Maybe his AUDIO GD DAC is the culprit (BAT and LAMM should be OK from what I've heard at the CES). Only a simple ground, or not, on one equipment can make a sensible difference ;-) Many things to explore for this unhappy Sasha owner.

Last edited by Cellindo; 03-17-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
The burn-in process is also quote important to reach the tweeter/high frequency naturalness; like 200hrs min.
This is nothing natural about this.

Or this:

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Wilson Gal

The Sasha owner who started that tread is in contact with Jerron at Wilson Audio. He is in good hands!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM
McKlipschead

Interesting thread, but rules is rules...

Please do not post links to other forums or private message links to other forums.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
Interesting thread, but rules is rules...

Please do not post links to other forums or private message links to other forums.
Sorry, thought someone here could help Madfloyd.

Looks like Wilson Audio is on the case.

Please feel free to delete the thread.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
This is nothing natural about this.

Or this:

This is STUNNING.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
From the BAT cave ...

What are the graphs telling us?