AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Distance between your Sashas?

Hi,

I'm just wondering how wide apart your Sashas are. I now have mine at 10' (which I consider pretty wide) and I'm surprised how it works. The midrange thins out just a tad, but the center image is very solid and every instrument seems to have a bit of space around it.

I'm sitting about 14 feet back, btw.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM

How wide is your room?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

For my Sashas, and the WP7s before them, the issue isn't how far apart they are but how far from the back and side walls. Where ever they are the tweeters need to be pointed pretty much directly at the listening position. Peter McGrath taught me this trick... From you listening position, close the eye on that side (right eye, right speaker) and with the open eye, you should just barely see the inside panel of the speaker cabinet. Then do the same for the left channel. Back and sidewall adjustments need to be specific to each room... but usually markedly different from one another. Say 24 inches from the side wall then 36-48 inches from the back wall. And then there's your listening position... not too far back into the bass crazy zone. Try thirds with you in one end and the speakers in the other... Or, call your local Wilson dealer and pay him/her to come out and do their system set up for you. You may not stay with it but you'll learn a great deal about the whole process.

Have fun...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Hi Ian,

My Sasha's are also right at 10' apart measured at the tweeters. They are pointed to intersect about 2-3' behind the listening position. My room is 20' wide.

I agree with your assessment that even at that width, there is great solidity of center fill and everything in the soundstage has a solid place. No "hints" of backing instruments and vocals, they are physically there to a sometimes surprising degree!

I haven't messed with positioning since they were set up by the dealer in March 2010, since I saw no need.

Regarding midrange thinness, I find that to also be dependent on my sources. I just installed a new Koetsu Vermillion on my upgraded Graham Phantom II Supreme. The midrange is full, fleshed out, 3 dimensional, with a lot of great tone and body. I can't say the same with my CDP source.

Regards,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Wilson Gal

Madfloyd,

I just measured the distance between my W/P 6's in my theater (which was set-up/installed by Daryl and my father):

Distance between them (tweeter to tweeter) is about 8ft. 2 in which goes with where the surrounds are placed as well. Listening distance is 7 feet from the tweeter to ear position.

My theater room is not laid out like a "typical" listening room. They are basically only about as wide apart as my couch is long, and the sitting area on my theater takes up 2/3 of the room while our "bar area" takes up the other 1/3.

-Debby
Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Correction to my measurements...

I was out of town when I responded to your post. I measured today and the tweeters are only 9'2" apart and my ears are 11'2" from each tweeter.

Wonder if I should play with spacing and try them wider? Nah...sounds fine just how it is!
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Correction to my measurements...

I was out of town when I responded to your post. I measured today and the tweeters are only 9'2" apart and my ears are 11'2" from each tweeter.

Wonder if I should play with spacing and try them wider? Nah...sounds fine just how it is!
I know it is tempting to play around with the placement of the speakers. We all know that moving them even the slightest changes how they sound. If your dealer set them up I would recommend just keeping them where they are. Wilson Audio has all their dealers go through dealer training which includes teaching them the WASP.

I personally felt like my W/P's were too far into the room (the distance from the screen to the couch is already pretty short at around 12 FT). I felt that they were almost in my lap at 7 ft, but there is no way I am moving them after Daryl and my father set them up. They know better than I do, and you can bet that i wont mess with their placement! They are there to stay!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Are all dealers obliged to set them up?