AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Default MDA1000 + MX150 + F113's = Audio-Orgasim

I've only had a few hours of listening over the last 2 days, but I can say with certainty that I'm really loving everything I'm listening to. fatigue? what is that?. Soundstage is definately bigger, deeper and wider then I recall it in a long time. The music has Presence... I smile alot... Think goofy kid with big grin. It's a really a good feeling. Plus it's a damn sexy beast to boot.

Right now, I'm pipping lossless via moded Sonos via Optical. The mod'd Sonos reclocks and upsamples to 24/96, which is great in some applications, but I reck'n that if I get an unmod'd unit and feed the MDA1000 a unmolested 16/44 signal, I'd likely be able to squeeze a bit more magic out of the MDA1000. I'll likely test that hypothesis out soon enough. Either way it's pretty darn awsome as is.

As for Room correction via the mx150... At this points "Pure Stereo" mode with no room correction kicks "Room Corrections" Butt. As soon as I enable room correction the sound stage noticably shrinks and becomes tiny and annoying by comparison. That's not meant to be a slight to the MX150's Room Perfect system, but perhaps more of a tribute to the MDA1000, and a knock on my ability to properly calibrate Room Perfect. Don't get me wrong I still love Room Perfect for HT. The MDA1000 just does stereo listening right, and it's quite obvious.

I imagine hooking the MDA1000 direct to the MC501's may well turn out to be something very special, but the MX150 shines through with it's ability to utilize the twin F113's to fantastic fashion delivering powerfully controlled Stereo bass that the 802D's just aren't capable of. (yes even in pure stereo mode it still acts as an Active crossover.). So while i'm very intrigued to entertain the notion of a pure undulterated signal chain direct to the MC501's, I'd be hard pressed to pass up those beautiful Subs....

I'd like to take this moment to thank everyone on this forum for all the help both directly and indirectly especially you Ivan for making me an offer on the MDA1000 I simply couldn't pass up.

Thank you Gentlemen (and ladies if your out there.)

Round one to Chuck.

Last edited by Poobah; 10-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Member Extraordinaire

Good to see you are enjoying it!

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post

I've only had a few hours of listening over the last 2 days, but I can say with certainty that I'm really loving everything I'm listening to. fatigue? what is that?. Soundstage is definately bigger, deeper and wider then I recall it in a long time. The music has Presence... I smile alot... Think goofy kid with big grin. It's a really a good feeling. Plus it's a damn sexy beast to boot.

You forgot one thing. The 1000 series products look so good with those 3D fronts.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Poobah

Yes, the MDA1000 is very special, from the short time I was at your place listening to the MDA1000 in your system sounded fantastic Maybe we get chance to get together and do some listening

Its great that "I smile alot... Think goofy kid with big grin" and I happy about this for you Music playing on a McIntosh can be better high than anything

Dan
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Good to see you are enjoying it!
Thank you Mack! I definately am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
You forgot one thing. The 1000 series products look so good with those 3D fronts.
lol, yea I do love the 3d look on mono blocks and sources... But 2 channel amps = off center smaller meters = YUCKY... I did say it was a Damn Sexy beast ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post
Poobah

Yes, the MDA1000 is very special, from the short time I was at your place listening to the MDA1000 in your system sounded fantastic Maybe we get chance to get together and do some listening

Its great that "I smile alot... Think goofy kid with big grin" and I happy about this for you Music playing on a McIntosh can be better high than anything

Dan
You know your welcome any time Dan... And when you marry your 6' blonde bomb shell of a bride to be, you'll be even more welcome as long as you bring her with you.

And thanks for all your help buddie.

Round one to Chuck.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 AM

I was looking of ways to better my system without buying another piece of gear so I reconfigured my system last Sunday. My signal chain is as follows:

2CH - MS750>MDA1000>MX150>C1000T>MC501>EB1i
Sub - MS750>MDA1000>MX150>F113

So the correct formula is C1000T + MDA1000 + MX150 + F113's = Audio-Orgasim
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
I was looking of ways to better my system without buying another piece of gear so I reconfigured my system last Sunday. My signal chain is as follows:

2CH - MS750>MDA1000>MX150>C1000T>MC501>EB1i
Sub - MS750>MDA1000>MX150>F113

So the correct formula is C1000T + MDA1000 + MX150 + F113's = Audio-Orgasim
I think the formula is missing an X factor. That is because the sum is Greater than all of its individual parts.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I think the formula is missing an X factor. That is because the sum is Greater than all of its individual parts.
Or the y factor.