AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy
Ha! You are so right Dan - what an expensive headache as well. I have to say I would never would I buy Quad again after that little adventure: and this from a long time 57 user.

@Jerome: yes amazing how lovely small monitors can be. I actually like their sweetness very much. A couple of subs and all good to go. Prolly buy some TBI's again - which are stunning little subs. Or maybe a Rel.

Thanks to Jonathan Halpen of Tone Imports for steering me into the Leben with the Proacs: I was going Shindo - but worried about the impedance matching. The Leben has a 6 ohm tap which is just right. Great headphone stage as well. I can see one in the office very shortly with eg some P3esrs.

How is the Rega coming along?
Hi Andy,
A Leben amp and a pair of classic ProAcs must sing wonderfully. This is a combo for very demanding music lovers !
The Rega P9 is a charm to listen to. It has all the punch and impacts I could dream of. A very neutral presentation. And music flaws naturaly.
I have ro experiment further to see if I will keep my big Clearaudio rig or sell it...because if I end up listening only to the Rega, why the need of the Clearaudio ? At the same time, the Clearaudio could be equipped with a MC cart as it is already (Talismann) ( I 'm thinking of buying a DL103 SP, that is the new Stylus Experts modified DL103 : it does not cost a fortune and it is said to be able to play with the best carts in the world...).
A MC cart gives more details, but depending on recordings, this does not imply "more music" all the time.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 AM

Andy...congrats on your new system. Proac and Leben sounds like a wonderful combo. Glad you are back to enjoying the music
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Ahhh...Jerome: often simple is better. Personally I found the CA Performance SE I have very clinical: not what I want from vinyl.

Depending on what you listen there are so many great cart choices. As we all know. I have to say I am very tempted by a P5. Of course then I need the Leben phono...sigh...

The P9 seems an end game move. I will await your experiences with interest.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 10-09-2011, 01:28 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Thanks Cyril
Yes its been probably the most frustrating 6 months in my audiophile journey. And one thankfully over. I am so happy to be back listening. It brings so much joy.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Ahhh...Jerome: often simple is better. Personally I found the CA Performance SE I have very clinical: not what I want from vinyl.

Depending on what you listen there are so many great cart choices. As we all know. I have to say I am very tempted by a P5. Of course then I need the Leben phono...sigh...

The P9 seems an end game move. I will await your experiences with interest.
Andy,
You're right : Clearaudio tables are clinical. And from what I know, you had enough from your "clinic" right ?
They sound a bit like digital. A better sound than Cds for sure, but still the same family.
But I'm curious : which cart do you use with the Performance SE ? The MC cart that came with it ? If so, you should maybe try an MM cart. I'm thinking of a good shape second hand Maestro or a new Exact or Elys. The last two won't break the bank and could be all you need to recover a vinyl sound from your very good table.
I finally understand what Alberto means when he says that he prefers MM to MC carts. They are less neutral, more euphonic and give more the "vinyl sound".
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Life is beautiful

Dear Andy,
Good to have you back posting!
Enjoy your new gear.
I read good things about Leben and Pro-Ac. Even heard the combination at my dealer.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables