AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Dazed and Confused

OK today I made calls around inquiring about different SET amps.I explained my setup and what I was trying to achieve the sound that I heard 3 years ago listening to Shindo Lafon Western Electric 300 Limited. Everyone was telling me how great their SET product is. Then I called USA Tube Audio talked to Paul who was totally the opposite. I told him I was interested in learning a little more about the New Audio Frontier stereo Supreme 300B and running a dual system. He advise me I should look at the Ayon Crossfire or even the Ayon Triton ii intergrated amp for the extra head room to make the Tannoys Canterburry's sing ( my room is 15W X 40L). Then we started talking front end componets and I told Paul I was using a Wavelength Cosecant V3 dac and mac mini. Right than he tells me theirs my problem he says get rid of my dac and replace it with Ayon CD5s and I won't need a dual system. He says with the Burmester 911's I'll be there (I'm not sure where I'll be their is but if anyone finds it give me the address).Then he state if I want the holy grail upgrade the tubes to 6H30 DR super tube and then I will have the best of both worlds a lot warmth,holographic and analog sound. How many times have you heard that. He even suggested running the Ayon CD5s directly into the amps. Then he says to read up on the Ayon stuff and if I like what I have read to call him because they offer a 15 day no questions ask return policy on all their products which is pretty cool.
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Last edited by Masterlu; 10-04-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Sorry, no links to retailers that are not AA Sponsors. It undermines those who pay to advertise here and support the site.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas View Post
OK today I made calls around inquiring about different SET amps.I explained my setup and what I was trying to achieve the sound that I heard 3 years ago listening to Shindo Lafon Western Electric 300 Limited. Everyone was telling me how great their SET product is. Then I called USA Tube Audio talked to Paul who was totally the opposite. I told him I was interested in learning a little more about the New Audio Frontier stereo Supreme 300B and running a dual system. He advise me I should look at the Ayon Crossfire or even the Ayon Triton ii intergrated amp for the extra head room to make the Tannoys Canterburry's sing ( my room is 15W X 40L). Then we started talking front end componets and I told Paul I was using a Wavelength Cosecant V3 dac and mac mini. Right than he tells me theirs my problem he says get rid of my dac and replace it with Ayon CD5s and I won't need a dual system. He says with the Burmester 911's I'll be there (I'm not sure where I'll be their is but if anyone finds it give me the address).Then he state if I want the holy grail upgrade the tubes to 6H30 DR super tube and then I will have the best of both worlds a lot warmth,holographic and analog sound. How many times have you heard that. He even suggested running the Ayon CD5s directly into the amps. Then he says to read up on the Ayon stuff and if I like what I have read to call him because they offer a 15 day no questions ask return policy on all their products which is pretty cool.
Sounds like someone pushing Ayon gear!

Seriously John, I would advise spending the time to listen to different sets if you are able to. I have heard the Ayon amps and they sound very different to my current set up so I would take a statement like 'you will be there' exactly as you appear to have taken it

You might want to look up the new Nagra 300B amp. I have not heard it but the Nagras always sound good.

howie
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM

The Crossfire is a special amp, but the Triton also sounds great too. If you want great dynamics, I would also recommend something with a little more power for a room that size.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......SET, schmet! Put some tube amplifiers in there that will do a room that large some justice.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Or even better, tube source and/or pre for tube bloom/harmonics, SS power for superior control.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Or even better, tube source and/or pre for tube bloom/harmonics, SS power for superior control.
That is what I do.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 PM

USA Tube Audio is a place i have no time for.....Paul is the same guy i spoke to 3 years ago when i called to ask about a few tube CDP's he was selling(Not Ayon)...i found him kinda sharp on the phone and all he did over and over was tell me about Ayon and how much better it was then everything else he was selling...........it was not a good experience.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Why would you expect a dealer not to push products he sells.

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM

I own an Ayon CD2S tube CDP and did try the Ayon Crossfire SET with Tannoy speakers (not the Canterbury). They are both top notch products! I have a slight preference for the EAR/Yoshino Acute tube CD and Shindo as far as SET goes but I can easily see how some may actually prefer the Ayon. Ayon is a bit more resolving and a crisper, more neutral sounding gear while Shindo is a bit more laid back and forgiving. Same with EAR CDP. I would not have anything bad to say about Ayon, just that I prefer a slightly more organic, a bit warmer and richer presentation. It's a personal taste type of thing.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Why would you expect a dealer not to push products he sells.

Jim
I agree with you Jim. It's like folks that tell you that the equipment they currently own is the best thing since slice bread. The Ayon stuff looks interesting. The 15 day trial is hard to come by unless you have dealer close by.

John
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects