AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Default Floor standers in a small room.

Early on when I was putting together gear for my 2 ch. set up I had picked up a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino's thinking I would be going SS for amplification. But as I did my research I decided that tubes were the way to go and sold off the SF's without every listening to them with my current gear. Something, the more I think about it, I regret. So enter the 4 in Fostex back loaded horns. First time with a single driver speaker and I just loved the detail but with the small driver I simply didn't get the lower end that I would really like to have, which I knew going in as was willing to try given the small investment in the DIY's. So enter the Omega Super 6's and I had detail and a pretty decent bottom end. The problem is while the overall sound a pretty good the speakers simply don't disappear as I would like.
So I have been listing the Omega's for sale locally and I really nice young man came over to have a listen. He brought over his pre, Mission Cyrus IIIi and PSX-R power supply, along with some of his classical LP's and we had a nice long listening session. Turn's out he's a sound engineer and took a particular interest in my set up and room. He felt the Omega's sounded great in most instances but something was missing. We spend several hours moving the speakers around and no matter where they were placed he felt something was just missing. He continued with a technical explanation I simply cannot remember well enough to put into words but basically he believes that floor standing speakers in general just are not right for that room. Something I think I had already figured out hence my desire to change them out and am considering trying out a monitor arrangement.
I know Dynaudio seems to be pretty popular here as of late and is one maker I am considering but would also like to ask for other suggestions that might be good for me. Keeping in mind my 40 watts of tube power making speaker efficiency fairly important.
I eagerly await your replies
Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Early on when I was putting together gear for my 2 ch. set up I had picked up a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino's thinking I would be going SS for amplification. But as I did my research I decided that tubes were the way to go and sold off the SF's without every listening to them with my current gear. Something, the more I think about it, I regret. So enter the 4 in Fostex back loaded horns. First time with a single driver speaker and I just loved the detail but with the small driver I simply didn't get the lower end that I would really like to have, which I knew going in as was willing to try given the small investment in the DIY's. So enter the Omega Super 6's and I had detail and a pretty decent bottom end. The problem is while the overall sound a pretty good the speakers simply don't disappear as I would like.
So I have been listing the Omega's for sale locally and I really nice young man came over to have a listen. He brought over his pre, Mission Cyrus IIIi and PSX-R power supply, along with some of his classical LP's and we had a nice long listening session. Turn's out he's a sound engineer and took a particular interest in my set up and room. He felt the Omega's sounded great in most instances but something was missing. We spend several hours moving the speakers around and no matter where they were placed he felt something was just missing. He continued with a technical explanation I simply cannot remember well enough to put into words but basically he believes that floor standing speakers in general just are not right for that room. Something I think I had already figured out hence my desire to change them out and am considering trying out a monitor arrangement.
I know Dynaudio seems to be pretty popular here as of late and is one maker I am considering but would also like to ask for other suggestions that might be good for me. Keeping in mind my 40 watts of tube power making speaker efficiency fairly important.
I eagerly await your replies
To dismiss all floorstanders must mean your room is unique in some way that eliminates all of them from consideration. Highly unlikely. That said, you have far too little data in your post to say what will and will not work in your room or with your gear.

For starters:
Room dimensions (pics would be best)?
Room makeup (construction materials/surfaces)?
Room furnishings/treatment (pics would be best)?
Limitations of where the speakers can be sited?
What 40w tube amp? 40w tube amp really doesn't tell anything.

Given the answers to these questions, it would be easy to suggest speakers. Good chance some of the recs will be floorstanders too.

Bill
Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
To dismiss all floorstanders must mean your room is unique in some way that eliminates all of them from consideration. Highly unlikely. That said, you have far too little data in your post to say what will and will not work in your room or with your gear.

For starters:
Room dimensions (pics would be best)?
Room makeup (construction materials/surfaces)?
Room furnishings/treatment (pics would be best)?
Limitations of where the speakers can be sited?
What 40w tube amp? 40w tube amp really doesn't tell anything.

Given the answers to these questions, it would be easy to suggest speakers. Good chance some of the recs will be floorstanders too.

Bill
Picture's of room from listening position, room size 9' X 11.5'

Walls sheet rock with carpet floor, cement slab foundation.

No room treatment, other items include small bookshelf on right side wall, tall floor standing cabinet on the left wall, seating position center back wall, door back left corner of back wall.

Speaker placement limited given room size, layout and size (or so I assume).

Amp, McIntosh MC240.

And I'm really not dismissing all floor standers but I have taken my Monitor Audio RS6 Silvers in the room and they sounded pretty bad. I've had the MC240 hooked to them in the living room and the difference is dramatic to my ears. And this is exactly why I'm asking as I know with the depth of experience and knowledge here I'm likely to get pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:01 PM

This 240 looks terrific !
Bill, this 40 W amp is one of the best 40 W ever made in the galaxy !
I'm starving to receive mine !
And it will also be used with Kimber 8 TC !

Last edited by Jerome W; 09-24-2011 at 05:03 PM.