AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JL Audio

JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Dual F113's Calibrated via MX150

I'm excited... Assuming the mx150 is glitch free, which I'm sure it will be. We will be hooking both subs up tonight for the first time, and will be calibrating via the mx150's roomperfect instead of calibrating them on thier own and again by the mx150.

Seems to make sense to me, but I'm all for other opinions.. Mostly I'm just really happy happy joy joy.

Round one to Chuck.

Last edited by Poobah; 05-26-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
I'm exciting...

Seems to make sense to me, but I'm all for other opinions.. Mostly I'm just really happy happy joy joy.

Gee Poobah, tooting your own horn a bit aren't you. But I'll bite why are you exciting.

Just joking, Jim
Old 05-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Gee Poobah, tooting your own horn a bit aren't you. But I'll bite why are you exciting.

Just joking, Jim
lol.. I seen that and corrected it.. but thanks.

Round one to Chuck.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
lol.. I seen that and corrected it.. but thanks.
With your set-up I will bet there will be some exciting times at your place when everything is up and running.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Poobah.......I can fully understand your excitement level. The first MX150 was such an anticlimactic event. All things considered, I am surprised you hung in there so well, and kept a positive attitude. The initial dealer response to your defective MX150 was far less enthusiastic than it should have been. That alone was disheartening, and would have probably caused me to secure a refund, and locate a new dealer.

At any rate, here's hoping the install, and the MX150 are perfect this time.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Ahah...

Well all went well last night... I already said quite a bit about it in another thread so no point rehashing it all...

But it's all good.

Need more time to play with it all to make any real determinations though.

Round one to Chuck.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Poobah, I left you a pm a few days ago. Check your messages. Since then I well be getting my mx150 tomorrow. I am also getting a JL113 tomorrow. Maybe two. I will know tomorrow. My Martin Logan CLX's need a good sub. I think my Velodyne DD15 might not be able to keep up with the CLX's in 2 channel. They are really a good home theater sub.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Poobah, I left you a pm a few days ago. Check your messages. Since then I well be getting my mx150 tomorrow. I am also getting a JL113 tomorrow. Maybe two. I will know tomorrow. My Martin Logan CLX's need a good sub. I think my Velodyne DD15 might not be able to keep up with the CLX's in 2 channel. They are really a good home theater sub.
Sorry, bud... I was going to get back to you. I just had the flu, yesterday and my computer stopped working on sunday.. the same day I was going to log onto my mx150 and see what all was accessable via the network connection.

Anyway, I can tell you I have hooked up both my subs up via aux 1 and 2 connections.... Prior to running room perfect the bass was huge obviously with 2 F113's in a fairly tame 12.5/18.5 room. What I can tell you is after running roomperfect I find the bass to be totally dialed down to the point that there is almost no LFE left. Which is dissappointing.

I've tried setting up my mains as both L and xxL while the aux 1 and 2 are set to sub 80. but each time after I ran room perfect the bass entirely disappeared for movie viewing.

more later

Round one to Chuck.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 AM

(back, very busy today.. and boss was walking In.)

Anyway, Stereo Source listening seems much more accurate, but I haven't listened to a large range of material.. However I did listen to some very well known material, and It was very acceptable to me...

It seems that room perfect may handle subs differently via aux 1 and 2 then it does via the actual Sub out... I will need to try and hook them up in master slave mode via the sub out.. and run room perfect a third time to determine that for sure. But in that mode, I won't experience true left and right sub output.

In the perfect world I want both stereo subs and strong multichannel LFE.

Other possible things to think about at the moment are...

1. Perhaps I like way over the top sub response during movies.... and Roomperfect is dialing it back to what it should be.. However I think when a chopper is touching down beside you, you should feel it... or when the giant dozers are knocking down tree's in pandora... you should feel the growl of the engines and thud of the tree's crashing down around you. After roomperfect I simply was not feeling much of any LFE.

2. Perhaps via network connection I can dial up the roomperfect LFE? If anyone knows about that, please do confirm or help me.

3. Perhaps I need to try radically different room positions when calibrating room perfect?

4... I'm sure there is other options I'm not thinking about?

5. Oh i also need to contact Ron-C or Chuck, and let them know about my finding, and I'm sure they can help me aswell.

On another note though, roomperfect does seem to bring the general presentation into more focus... everything seems a bit more defined and articulated. However I'm still not sure if it's a good thing, specially in terms of LFE.. (bad). But stereo listening.. GOOD.

hmmmm

Round one to Chuck.

Last edited by Poobah; 06-01-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Okay good news...

Chuck Hinton got back to me with some good info... That unfortunately I won't be able to fully test until I get my computer back from the computer shop. (don't get me started on my PC... sigh).

Anyway he suggested I set the roomperfect voicing to “action + movie” which i believe I may have already tried... but even better he sent me a program that will allow me to build my own Roomperfect voicings.

If anyone wants that attachment just send me a pm, with your email addy and I'll forward it to you.

Round one to Chuck.