AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-14-2020, 02:39 PM

Default Shunyata for a simple system

Hello guys

Firstly, I must say I am really impressed by the volume and quality of information found withing this section of the forum. I have started chasing for a power cable couple of weeks ago once I have upgraded my Accuphase integrated (from an E-308 to an E-600) then I found this sub-forum and start reading thread after thread while trying to "digest" as much as I could.

So, I have pulled the trigger and bought a Delta NR power cord (has not been delivered yet), but (as I was reading more and more info here) I have realized that "one is not enough". So, here I am asking my question for my particular case.

My system is quite simple, the Accuphase E-600 being fed either by one of my turntables (they have "captive" power cords) or by the Accuphase DP-77 (SACD/CD player).
From the wall socket, the current is coming to a Supra (mains block MD06-EU/SP Mk3) power distributor (it provides filtering for all sockets except the first one, and surge protection) through a Supra LoRad 3x2.5 cable. From the power distributor, the integrated is powered by a VdH Mainstream cable and the DP-77 by a VdH Mainserver cable.

Now, I would like to ask: do I need a NR cable from the wall outlet to the Supra distributor? Or would I be fine with a HC cable, like the Venom HC, and have 2 NR cables, one for each component (amplifier and Cd player) - would that suffice from a noise reduction point of view? My initial thought was to use the Delta NR for the E-600, but now I wonder if I should put it between the wall outlet and the Supra distributor, then buy two more Venom NR cables for the integrated amplifier and the CD player.
I got the main idea that current delivery is the no.1 priority, but I have no idea how the Venom HC (or, for that matter, Venom NR V10) would compare to the Delta NR as for the DTCD.
I don't plan to stretch the budget for a Venom EU7 power distributor at this moment.

Thanks!

Cata
Old 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM

Hi Cata,

Is Cata a shorten form of Catalin? My wife’s guess who grew up in Romania and her parents live in Breaza. Anyway, I get my audio cables from the cable company in Pennsylvania. You can put your system details on their website and get advice from them. They also offer a lending library of cables that you can try in your system and decide what you like best but I don’t know if they can do this for Romania. I am in California. I just joined this forum and may have gone the Shunyata Research route given all of the positive comments here for them. I am already on the Synergistic Research road. Other being a customer, I have no other interest in the cable company. Good luck!

Dave
Old 05-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Since you on a budget this is what I would recommend for great performance and value.

Wall => Supra: Venom V10 NR
Accuphase integrated: Venom V10 NR
CD player: Venom V12 NR

I recommend the Venom V10 NR for the Supra since it does not have a particularly high amount of noise reduction; the NR cable will help filter noise from the wall outlet.

The next upgrade when you have the budget would be to replace the Supra which will be the weakest link in the total power system once you upgrade the power cords.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Since you on a budget this is what I would recommend for great performance and value.

I recommend the Venom V10 NR for the Supra since it does not have a particularly high amount of noise reduction; the NR cable will help filter noise from the wall outlet.

The next upgrade when you have the budget would be to replace the Supra which will be the weakest link in the total power system once you upgrade the power cords.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I heard that the newer V2 cables are significantly better. I recall someone saying that the Alpha V2 was better than the Sigma. The V2’s are a little more expensive but wouldn’t they be a better choice?
Old 05-15-2020, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Hi Cata,

Is Cata a shorten form of Catalin? My wife’s guess who grew up in Romania and her parents live in Breaza. Anyway, I get my audio cables from the cable company in Pennsylvania. You can put your system details on their website and get advice from them. They also offer a lending library of cables that you can try in your system and decide what you like best but I don’t know if they can do this for Romania. I am in California. I just joined this forum and may have gone the Shunyata Research route given all of the positive comments here for them. I am already on the Synergistic Research road. Other being a customer, I have no other interest in the cable company. Good luck!

Dave
Hello Dave
Yes, Catalin is my name, but I live on the famous Transilvania part of Romania. As for the cable company, I'm pretty sure they can't offer lending cables for Europe (probably they would not even have Schuko connectors ended cables).
Old 05-15-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:

Thank you Caelin for your reply.

I already have bought a Delta NR cable which is with the courier at this moment (somewhere between Germany and my home), so I was wondering if I should run it from the wall to the Supra distributor, or from the Supra to the E-600. In other words, would the Delta NR be better with regards to DTCD than a Venon NR V10? In my mind, the better DTCD cable should link the wall with the Supra in order to not start with a current (delivery) bottle neck there.
Then, going further, will the Supra distributor be itself a bottle neck with regards to DTCD/current delivery (hence the problem would be: does not matter what cable you run between the wall and the Supra since the Supra can only handle THAT much current)?

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catacore View Post
Hello Dave
Yes, Catalin is my name, but I live on the famous Transilvania part of Romania. As for the cable company, I'm pretty sure they can't offer lending cables for Europe (probably they would not even have Schuko connectors ended cables).
Her parents live in the Breaza which is close to Sinaia. Apparently, there are two of them in Romania. Anyway, the Cable Company does sell a number of different Schuko cords but don’t seem to have Schuko for Shunyata Research. I actually just ordered the UEF Blue HC cord for my Parasound Halo A21+. Good luck.

Dave

Last edited by Masterlu; 05-15-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Links to non-Sponsors are not permitted.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM

I do have a Delta NR coming my way, as mentioned, and now looking on the used market to replace the Supra, I came to few Hydra products.

Would anyone care to enlighten me about what would be the better choice between a Hydra model-6, model-8 and Hydra Alpha 4. Do all these models posses the NIC filtering? Would a HC (e.g. Venom HC) power cable suffice for a Hydra power distributor (even the older models mentioned)?

Also, would a Venom EU7 be more desirable as it contains newer technology? For a Venom EU7 would I need a NR power cable?

Sorry for so many questions
Old 05-19-2020, 06:59 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by catacore View Post
I do have a Delta NR coming my way, as mentioned, and now looking on the used market to replace the Supra, I came to few Hydra products.

Would anyone care to enlighten me about what would be the better choice between a Hydra model-6, model-8 and Hydra Alpha 4. Do all these models posses the NIC filtering? Would a HC (e.g. Venom HC) power cable suffice for a Hydra power distributor (even the older models mentioned)?

Also, would a Venom EU7 be more desirable as it contains newer technology? For a Venom EU7 would I need a NR power cable?

Sorry for so many questions
Of the three Hydras you've referenced, the Hydra-8 would be the best bet with respect to noise reduction as it utilizes Shunyata'a NIC technology. There are no NIC chambers in the Hydra 4 or 6.

As for a power cord, a Venom HC V2 C19 would be a great power cord for the Hydra 8; if your budget permits, a C19Venom NRV10 or better yet, a Delta NR v2 would provide additional noise reduction for all the components connected to the Hydra-8. Each would provide an additional ~12 dB of noise-reduction.

As for the Venom EU7, I'll leave it for Caelin to comment specifically, but my understanding is the Venom EU7 does not have any "built-in" NR that I am aware of unless you use it in conjunction with a Venom Defender, or, use a C19 NR power cord. Of all of the PDs you've mentioned, the Hydra-8 would likely be your best bet.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.