AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 PM

Default Wilson DAWs for Small Space?

Greetings. I am in the process of trying to nail down a system for a dedicated listening room measuring 14’ L x 15’ W x 9’ H and with wood floors, glass on three sides and a stone veneer on the 4th wall, which also houses stainless steel shelves for components and albums along with four stainless steel guitar display niches. A very lively room to say the least. I was about to pull the trigger on an MBL system consisting of the 116 speakers, N31 DAC and N51 Intergrated amp. Just not sure if an omni will work that great in a room like this so leaning again towards a Wilson, which was my top choice when I first starting researching a year or so ago. I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts on whether you think the Wilson DAWs would work in my room? Will they be too big and overpowering? I have gotten answers all over the board from monitors to the DAWs but not from anyone with actual real world experience. I listen mainly to classic rock with some other genres sprinkled in on occasion, depending on the mood. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Much appreciated!
Old 05-07-2020, 06:01 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrest View Post
Greetings. I am in the process of trying to nail down a system for a dedicated listening room measuring 14’ L x 15’ W x 9’ H and with wood floors, glass on three sides and a stone veneer on the 4th wall, which also houses stainless steel shelves for components and albums along with four stainless steel guitar display niches. A very lively room to say the least. I was about to pull the trigger on an MBL system consisting of the 116 speakers, N31 DAC and N51 Intergrated amp. Just not sure if an omni will work that great in a room like this so leaning again towards a Wilson, which was my top choice when I first starting researching a year or so ago. I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts on whether you think the Wilson DAWs would work in my room? Will they be too big and overpowering? I have gotten answers all over the board from monitors to the DAWs but not from anyone with actual real world experience. I listen mainly to classic rock with some other genres sprinkled in on occasion, depending on the mood. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts. Much appreciated!

Thank you for your interest in Wilson speakers. I have set up somewhere between 30 and 40 pairs of Sasha DAWs in all kinds of rooms. On the surface of it, properly positioned DAWs should work in a room of that size. It would be useful to see pics of the room so I could be more specific about what to expect. Your surfaces certainly present some challenges but that would be true for any good loudspeaker.

FYI, other than an open side wall, my room with DAWs is 13'1" x 14' x 9'. From a pressurization standpoint it "plays" larger than that because of the open side. It includes a 6' x 6' window on the side wall and a single wide door with a 21" x 62" window in it to the outside behind the right speaker. Both windows have wood slat horizontal blinds. My listening distance is 8'.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Thanks very much for your quick reply. Attached are pics of each side of the room. From left to right, they are 1) east side, 2) north side, 3) west side and 4) south side. The speakers would be located in front of the east side wall. Note that the south and west sides have fabric shades that can be lowered. Appreciate your thoughts....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg East Side.jpg (89.6 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpeg North Side.jpeg (2.56 MB, 325 views)
File Type: jpeg West Side.jpeg (2.45 MB, 290 views)
File Type: jpeg South Side.jpeg (2.09 MB, 264 views)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Thanks very much for your quick reply. Attached are pics of each side of the room. From left to right, they are 1) east side, 2) north side, 3) west side and 4) south side. The speakers would be located in front of the east side wall. Note that the south and west sides have fabric shades that can be lowered. Appreciate your thoughts....
Very cool looking room.

What furnishings will you have?
Will you leave the floor bare or add an area rug of some kind?
How limited are you in seat placement?
How full will the ss shelves be?
What is behind the albums on the north wall?
Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Thanks! There is an Eames chair in the center and 2 side chairs. Will add carpet tiles to the floor. The shelves will hold the components and albums...mostly will be full. Behind the albums on the north wall is the second floor hallway.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:08 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Thanks! There is an Eames chair in the center and 2 side chairs. Will add carpet tiles to the floor. The shelves will hold the components and albums...mostly will be full. Behind the albums on the north wall is the second floor hallway.
PM sent
Old 05-11-2020, 03:26 PM

Default That North record wall!

That North record wall is amazing! Are those actual record album covers which are lit individually in their respective alcove? Or are they translucent covers and back-lit? Great job!
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
That North record wall is amazing! Are those actual record album covers which are lit individually in their respective alcove? Or are they translucent covers and back-lit? Great job!
Thanks! Very much appreciate it! Those are actual albums from my collection which are individually lit using tape lighting. We had alot of help on this so can't claim much (if any) credit but do like the way it turned out.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Great room
Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmoke View Post
Great room
Thanks very much. Appreciate it. If only I could figure out what hi-fi set up would be best.