AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Semi-audiophile

Default Vibration-Resistant Turntables

Rather than put this in my "Curiosity" thread, I figured it may be best to start a new thread here. Even if I buy something it won't be before the holidays are over and my bank account recovers to my satisfaction; plus, there is competition for upgrade dollars from the SACD and speaker sides also. Nevertheless, I have begun researching turntables, with the idea of perhaps replacing my 25.5 year-old VPI HW19-Mk IV. I've been somewhat smitten by the Pro-Ject Xtension 10, and watched this video multiple times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpqsZRBsSlA

But what I was reminded of is that I live in an apartment with a suspended floor (or whatever it's called), so footfalls are a significant issue. This was brought back to me when playing a record on my VPI last week. Another TT line I thought about was SOTA, because it would be a good match for an SME 309 arm. Changing the belt looks to be a bit of a pain, so I was going to move on. But I came across this, also on YouTube, which renewed some interest in the SOTA line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOztpKjv8Hk

Which other brands (if any) offer good isolation from footfalls and such?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-21-2017, 10:52 AM

You can also approach this from the "vibration isolation" angle. Wall mounts, isolation platforms like ginkgo cloud, etc... That opens up a bunch more choices in turntables rather than choosing one with best isolation built in. Don't know how bad your footfall problem is but even something inexpensive like this may be enough. https://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Acous.../dp/B00SZ3J4IS

Last edited by PHC1; 10-21-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 AM

I concur with Serge, generally speaking 'wall mount' is the way to go. My son did it with his rig to 100% satisfaction !
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

Thanks for the link, PCH1. The Auralex looks good, but it's too small, unfortunately. The VPI I have measures 19.125" wide at the feet; the overall table is 20.25" wide. But perhaps someone sells a similar platform that's wider (and deeper, to be safe; the VPI would just make it depth-wise). On that, the Gingko models look promising, but I'd have to get past paying so much for something that may not work. And since I rent, I don't know if management here would be crazy about holes being drilled in their wall.

As usual, everything comes down to research. But that research is enhanced with helpful suggestions like the Auralex, as it put me on another path to explore.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM

holes go into studs, when you leave and take your platform down a few dabs of sparkling compound and your done !
Old 10-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Vibration-Resistant Turntables

As others have said, a wall bracket does wonders eliminating problems from footfalls on sprung floors. Quadraspire makes excellent and attractive wall systems, and Ivan is a dealer.

https://quadraspire.co.uk/wall-brackets.html
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-22-2017, 09:29 PM

I have an Xtension 10 in a room with a suspended floor and find it is quite immune to footfall issues compared to the Technics Direct Drive table it replaced.
I keep mine on a cabinet rather than a wall mount. My understanding of wall mounts is that they work best on a load bearing wall but I have no practical experience with one. Best of luck!
Old 10-22-2017, 11:48 PM

Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That's almost what I have to do!

Speaking of Pro-Ject(!), they offer the attached. I don't know what the price given on the PDF translates into, but the Ground it Carbon is meant to handle almost any turntable, and would be a good match for the Xtension 10 if I went that route. It would even fit my VPI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf grounditcarbon.pdf (756.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
That's almost what I have to do!

Speaking of Pro-Ject(!), they offer the attached. I don't know what the price given on the PDF translates into, but the Ground it Carbon is meant to handle almost any turntable, and would be a good match for the Xtension 10 if I went that route. It would even fit my VPI.
Here it is. http://www.pro-jectusa.com/en-us/pro...ound-it-carbon