AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tand View Post
Congratulations! You will have stellar sound, no doubt about it! Did you have a chance to compare the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC with Berkeley Reference Dac? Tommy
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for the kind wishes.

I didn't get a chance to do a head-to-head comparison of the Berkeley Ref DAC (BRD) and the PM2 in the latest iteration of my system.

Did get a chance to hear a demo model of the BRD in my room with the Q7mkI, the Soulution 711 (stereo version) and a different digital front end; as well as in a friend's system with Project M speakers, where I also got a chance to hear the PM2.

Both DACs in my opinion are stellar and have some common parentage. And I would venture to say that most would be very pleased with either one. In a highly optimized system, the differences between the DACs are subtle.

While the BRD is undoubtedly more user friendly and an outstanding value bargain, there is something magical about a vintage PM2: Just like a 1967 Mercedes 230 SL or a 1957 Gibson Gold Top Les Paul. They just don't make them like that anymore.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Off-the-charts system. Wow. Congratulations and enjoy!
Thank you Tocayo. Appreciate the warm wishes.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Certainly sounds like the new Q7 is a very significant improvement over the old one. It is a testament to Magico that an upgrade path is available. If you have the older version it is great to have the option to upgrade. Wilson did not provide this with the Alexandria and I doubt that one will be provided when the Maxx3 is finally replaced.
Hi Charles,

I couldn't agree with you more.

There is little question that the Project M speakers, which debuted the technological improvements now available in the Q7mkII, were a significant step forward for Magico. And there is growing consensus, that those improvements (the new tweeter, midrange and crossover) have produced an even better Q7 speaker than the previous version.

I could not have been more pleased when Magico announced the upgrade program for the Q7s. Of course there were detractors of Magico's upgrade program. Some suggested the price was excessive or that the improvements would be marginal. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But FWIW, I for one was, and continue to be, grateful to Alon Wolf for making the upgrade path available to existing Q7 owners. And I can testify that the improvement in the upgraded speakers, at least in my room, was definitely worth it.

Last edited by cmarin; 07-17-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Hi Charles,

I couldn't agree with you more.

There is little question that the Project M speakers, which debuted the technological improvements now available in the Q7mkII, were a significant step forward for Magico. And there is growing consensus, that those improvements (the new tweeter, midrange and crossover) have produced an even better Q7 speaker than the previous version.

I could not have been more pleased when Magico announced the upgrade program for the Q7s. Of course there were detractors of Magico's upgrade program. Some suggested the price was excessive or that the improvements would be marginal. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But FWIW, I for one was, and continue to be, grateful to Alon Wolf for making the upgrade path available to existing Q7 owners. And I can testify that the improvement in the upgraded speakers, at least in my room, was definitely worth it.
Cmarin, your system is absolute tops. It's a joy to behold and your room is certainly one of the best I have ever seen. Is that a Qsub back left and if not have you considered adding one (or two)?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Cmarin, your system is absolute tops. It's a joy to behold and your room is certainly one of the best I have ever seen. Is that a Qsub back left and if not have you considered adding one (or two)?
Thank you Charles.

Promise to take better pictures once the current round of final tweaking takes place and get a chance to clean out the room and its layout.

No that's not a Qsub. Although I'm sure the Qsub would add a strong foundation to the music, the Q7 bass is pretty strong and articulate as is; so I don't have any current plans to add a Qsub to the mix at least for the short run.

Last edited by cmarin; 07-18-2015 at 11:12 AM.