AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I use 1.2kW's for the Maxx3. I use MC 601 for the Thor. It has never clipped.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and is consistent with what I have been advised for an 'ideal setup'...using amps similarly voiced.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 AM

FWIW, I was originally planning on getting the Q3 to use with subs. However, my dealer - after discussion with Magico - advised the S5 instead since I listen to a fair bit of loud rock music (among other things). Even with subs, they felt that the S5 were more suited to my needs.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM

In looking at Magico from the outside as a non owner, it is the epitome of what a highend loudspeaker ought to be. I think Magico has the best drivers, the best enclosure, and the best overall design of any loudspeaker company. I think acoustic suspension is ultimately superior to port for bass. And Magico only makes speakers, very important. The problem has been that the bass is not hi-fi enough for a lot of folks. Most folks aren't ultimately looking for accuracy, they are looking for excitement and some accuracy. I am very happy for Magico owners because now if you want you can have your cake and also eat it. I would say dual Q15 subs supplied with plenty of current would be more than enough for any conceivable application. To me the absolute key is to have a sub that matches the quality of the Magico speaker. For me with my Wilson system, my Thor gives me a bass that is indistinguishable from my Maxx3 bass. It's just as fast and extends the Maxx3 into the subsonic region. This greatly improves the sound stage and just absolutely makes everything sound so much better. I couldn't imagine my system without my Thor.

Try "Psalms" The Turtle Creek Chorale, Reference Recordings 86CD or you can download it from HD Tracks. It is the best recording I own. The cymbals are unmatched and will severely challenge any tweeter, especially cut 2 and 14. The bass transient at the end 10 (Festive Psalm) is massive. If the speaker has flat response in its range it is a severe test for any woofer. There are many other huge bass transients on this disc. The voices are beautiful on a good midrange. It is a disc where the Qsub15 should shine.

There are also many sustained faint low bass notes that can be missed without a good sub.

Last edited by Charles; 10-23-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:59 PM

I hear that, Charles...great post. I am using a Velodyne DD18 with my Wilson X1s and equally find the Turtle Creek Chorus to be phenomenal.

BTW, I have labored for nearly 2 years and found some great things that improved my Wilsons:

1. I have your tweeter now...latest Focal Titanium
2. Entreq AC wraps around all Wilson cables that connect the modules
3. Stillpoints Ultra 5s
4. On the X1s...they were bi-wireable...and there is a bridging plate with a solid copper plate...I have since added a TA Ref XL jumper cable which makes a huge improvement
5. I also add Entreq Vibb Eaters on the top modules to further dampen any vibration and the performance has become incredibly electrostatic like.

My two cents...but I really would love to try the Thor out for a test drive...enjoy!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
I hear that, Charles...great post. I am using a Velodyne DD18 with my Wilson X1s and equally find the Turtle Creek Chorus to be phenomenal.

BTW, I have labored for nearly 2 years and found some great things that improved my Wilsons:

1. I have your tweeter now...latest Focal Titanium
2. Entreq AC wraps around all Wilson cables that connect the modules
3. Stillpoints Ultra 5s
4. On the X1s...they were bi-wireable...and there is a bridging plate with a solid copper plate...I have since added a TA Ref XL jumper cable which makes a huge improvement
5. I also add Entreq Vibb Eaters on the top modules to further dampen any vibration and the performance has become incredibly electrostatic like.

My two cents...but I really would love to try the Thor out for a test drive...enjoy!
The X1 is quite a speaker and would definitely benefit from a Thor. I got to hear one many years ago but couldn't afford it. Dynamics incredible. Just imagine how beautiful Magico's would look in brushed "white" aluminum. Not that that black is not attractive. It is. I note that Krell makes all aluminum speakers that are in this color. I think with Burmester white aluminum would be stunning.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Hi Charles,

thank you...yes, I think X1 + Thor would be amazing and with the Wilson Active Crossover which has the custom settings for the X1, it must be truly something.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 AM

Hi Charles,

Quick question on your Maxx3/Thor setup. Do you actively cut off your Maxx3, or let it run full-range? If you cut it off (which I think Wilson recommends), at what frequency do you cut off? I run my X1s full range (I would not use the Velodyne crossover)...and stop the Velodyne above 40hz which is the lowest setting.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
Hi Charles,

Quick question on your Maxx3/Thor setup. Do you actively cut off your Maxx3, or let it run full-range? If you cut it off (which I think Wilson recommends), at what frequency do you cut off? I run my X1s full range (I would not use the Velodyne crossover)...and stop the Velodyne above 40hz which is the lowest setting.

Thanks for any guidance.
I'm sitting here this am wondering why I did not answer your question. Answer: I forgot to. Something must have come up. So here it is, a new year, and I was wondering how Magico owners are liking their new subwoofer? And I re-discovered this thread. I run my Maxxes full range. I had initially run them through the Wilson crossover to take the load of heavy bass transients off the Maxx woofers. But the bass is definitely better if they are run full range. The LP is set at the lowest crossover point at 30 Hz. Even on "regular" music the Thor makes a lot of difference and I do not have it "turned up". I apologize for dropping this thread. I have no idea what happened to make me do so.

Also, how is everybody liking their new Magico subs? Have there been any new purchases? To me, being a confessed bass freak, these new Qsubs are the most interesting new products by far on the market. I'm curious about how much wall current is needed to really juice these subs to perform. Does Magico have any recommendations or is it a simple dedicated 20 amp line?

Last edited by Charles; 01-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Also, how is everybody liking their new Magico subs? Have there been any new purchases? To me, being a confessed bass freak, these new Qsubs are the most interesting new products by far on the market. I'm curious about how much wall current is needed to really juice these subs to perform. Does Magico have any recommendations or is it a simple dedicated 20 amp line?
Enjoying every moment with the Qsub. It goes deep, no box signature, and very well control. Even when you stand beside one of the main speaker, you still cannot heard where is the sub bass from the sub. Only when you stand right beside the Qsub and few feet from the main speaker to realise the qsub is working.

When I upgrade to Q5 one day, I will still keep the Qsub.. Without the qsub, I find music lost it soul and scale and suddenly you know you are back to a stereo speaker instead of a live music
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
Enjoying every moment with the Qsub. It goes deep, no box signature, and very well control. Even when you stand beside one of the main speaker, you still cannot heard where is the sub bass from the sub. Only when you stand right beside the Qsub and few feet from the main speaker to realise the qsub is working.

When I upgrade to Q5 one day, I will still keep the Qsub.. Without the qsub, I find music lost it soul and scale and suddenly you know you are back to a stereo speaker instead of a live music
Thanks for the update. I love the phrase "Qsub". I think an often overlooked necessity for a high end sub is the quality of the electronics, especially if the system is run fully active (HP/LP both employed). I am certain Magico did not skimp on this aspect. This was perhaps the greatest strength of the Krell MRS because Krell knows how to make amps and crossovers. I never felt that I was able to obtain full performance from my MRS because of a lack of efficiency. I couldn't get enough current to the amp. I suspect Magico has solved this problem. I understand the woofers are about 90 lbs. apiece.

Last edited by Charles; 01-26-2015 at 10:39 AM.