AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Some Magico questions

1. Do the Q speakers have a small sweetspot like the Wilsons do? This is a biggie, everyone on the sofa should be able to experience the same soundstage.

2. We keep reading reviews about how boxless and transparent Magico speakers sound. Most of us audiophiles think of Martin Logans when it comes to these desciptions. Are Magicos truly as transparent and boxless sounding as Martin Logan Electrostatics?

3. To those who have YG Acoustic's speakers, what are the similarities and differences between the YG Acoustics and Magico sound? Both have aluminum enclosures.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM

1. Wilson's do not have a small sweetspot so don't know what you're referring to.
2. Not in my experience. There are good but not CLS good
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
1. Wilson's do not have a small sweetspot so don't know what you're referring to.
2. Not in my experience. There are good but not CLS good
I spent two hours listening to Wilson speakers, the sweetspot was one person wide, I wish it was bigger. Next to soundstaging thats a biggie with me for the reasons stated. Now I have talked to various dealers who state the Wilson's sweetspot can be widen but at the expense of something else. I am glad your Sasha's are different. Are you running a single Devialet or two mono?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM

2 hours?
I've owned 5 pairs of Wilsons over 20+ years. The sweetspot is not 1 person wide. Who are you dealing with?

Single right now although I've tried 2....
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
1. Do the Q speakers have a small sweetspot like the Wilsons do? This is a biggie, everyone on the sofa should be able to experience the same soundstage.

2. We keep reading reviews about how boxless and transparent Magico speakers sound. Most of us audiophiles think of Martin Logans when it comes to these desciptions. Are Magicos truly as transparent and boxless sounding as Martin Logan Electrostatics?

3. To those who have YG Acoustic's speakers, what are the similarities and differences between the YG Acoustics and Magico sound? Both have aluminum enclosures.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.
Check out a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C4s....you may be very pleasantly surprised and save a whole passel of money.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Check out a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C4s....you may be very pleasantly surprised and save a whole passel of money.
Haven't checked out the C4s but have heard the C1s. A great speaker from a great line. But still not as transparent as an electastat. I am looking for a speaker thats as fast and transparent as a Martin Logan, but with the dynamics of box speaker and a sweetspot bigger than one person. I have heard many different brants but from what I have read, Magico is that speaker.

There is not a Magico dealer in Austin,TX. So I have reviews and posts from various Magico owners to go by. So to any Magico owner out there could you please answer my questions.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM

My I suggest you use some of those frequent flyer miles and visit a Magico dealer and listen for yourself.

From the questions you ask I think the Q1's will astonish you.....

BTW I'm back to mono Devaliet's right now

Last edited by g997; 07-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g997 View Post
My I suggest you use some of those frequent flyer miles and visit a Magico dealer and listen for yourself.

From the questions you ask I think the Q1's will astonish you.....

BTW I'm back to mono Devaliet's right now
Thank you for answering my question on the other thread. You are correct, the next time I am in NYC or BOS, I should check out the highend shops up there for a Magico demo.

Appreciated the response on the Q1s. I have read the same sentiment elsewhere, the Q1 are equal (and better on certain aspects) to the Q3s except the for volume and bass.

Since I am already off topic here, what sold you on the Devaliets? What improvements did you notice going mono temporalily? Are you using the "Air" option?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM

I'd highly recommend Ears Nova in NYC for your demo, and I'm afraid that Dyns do not compare to Magico right now (and this from a Dyn owner). But you pay quite a bit for that clear improvement.

The Platinum Temptations may be closer, but they should be for $60K or whatever the final price will be.

The Q sweetspot is not small, and to my ear they are better than YG but that will come down to personal preference and matching electronics, set up, etc. Bass (sealed vs. powered sub) is one very noticeable difference.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I'd highly recommend Ears Nova in NYC for your demo, and I'm afraid that Dyns do not compare to Magico right now (and this from a Dyn owner). But you pay quite a bit for that clear improvement.

The Platinum Temptations may be closer, but they should be for $60K or whatever the final price will be.

The Q sweetspot is not small, and to my ear they are better than YG but that will come down to personal preference and matching electronics, set up, etc. Bass (sealed vs. powered sub) is one very noticeable difference.