AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Marc have a listen to the REF5SE and the REF150 and if later around you decide to upgrade to the Alexia you have the power to do so.
Ansuz DTC Power Distributor, DTC Power Cables, D2 Speakers and Interconnect cables, DTC Power Box
Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhifi View Post
Marc have a listen to the REF5SE and the REF150 and if later around you decide to upgrade to the Alexia you have the power to do so.
Don't you think the Ref75 can power Alexia's? I would think it can...it's got way more power than it seems.

I heard it set up that way once, but didn't do any critical listening at the time.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

Don't you think the Ref75 can power Alexia's? I would think it can...it's got way more power than it seems.

I heard it set up that way once, but didn't do any critical listening at the time.
I have listened to both the Ref 75 and solid state amplification (Ayre mono blocks) on the Alexia's and there was no doubt at all about which was driving the Alexia properly.
The Ref 75 is an awesome piece of equipment, though not the right tool for that speaker. The Alexia has an impedance dip down 2 ohms in it's curve. That speaker needs and craves power and current in my opinion. Again, the Ref 75 is wonderful, but made for a specific niche that doesn't require lots of power. I don't think it would do the Alexia's justice. Only my opinion and experience, though to me, there was a clear advantage to the more powerful and solid state amps when used with the Wilson's. for perspective, I am a tube and ARC fan and owner, but you have to match that speaker properly to get the best out of it.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post

I have listened to both the Ref 75 and solid state amplification (Ayre mono blocks) on the Alexia's and there was no doubt at all about which was driving the Alexia properly.
The Ref 75 is an awesome piece of equipment, though not the right tool for that speaker. The Alexia has an impedance dip down 2 ohms in it's curve. That speaker needs and craves power and current in my opinion. Again, the Ref 75 is wonderful, but made for a specific niche that doesn't require lots of power. I don't think it would do the Alexia's justice. Only my opinion and experience, though to me, there was a clear advantage to the more powerful and solid state amps when used with the Wilson's. For perspective, I am a tube and ARC fan and owner, though you have to match that speaker properly to get the best out of it.
I second the recommendation for the Ref 150.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
The Ref 75 is an awesome piece of equipment, though not the right tool for that speaker. The Alexia has an impedance dip down 2 ohms in it's curve. That speaker needs and craves power and current in my opinion. Again, the Ref 75 is wonderful, but made for a specific niche that doesn't require lots of power. I don't think it would do the Alexia's justice. Only my opinion and experience, though to me, there was a clear advantage to the more powerful and solid state amps when used with the Wilson's. for perspective, I am a tube and ARC fan and owner, but you have to match that speaker properly to get the best out of it.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but my Sasha's also dip down to 2 ohms, and the Ref75 handled that just fine. I am wondering what is different about the load the Alexias present? By way of comparison, the bass grip and depth was much better with the Ref75 than my MC452! I still don't quite understand that. I think the MC452 might have been a bit more "punchy", but not as well defined and deep.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my Sasha's also dip down to 2 ohms, and the Ref75 handled that just fine. I am wondering what is different about the load the Alexias present? By way of comparison, the bass grip and depth was much better with the Ref75 than my MC452! I still don't quite understand that. I think the MC452 might have been a bit more "punchy", but not as well defined and deep.
Oh I can certainly be wrong... always a possibility. ;-)
I have no experience with the Sasha. Speaker/amp combos are tough to prejudge until heard in a very familiar space or your own room.
It could also have differing phase angles compared to the Alexia.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 11-27-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

If you have not already read it, there is a great review in the current Absolute Sound on the Alexia. He had similar ideas about amplification.
Just a heads up. Good read if you are potentially in the market for the Alexia.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 AM

Well after a few days, I decided to return my DSPre and get a cd6. I might be the first person here to have one, they just started shipping them this week.

My goal is an all audio research system and the main components will be the ref5 and ref75. That's why I shouldn't have ever bought the DSPre. For a source/dac I figured I could save money and get the cd6. I'm using it with my mcintosh c2300 and mc452 and Sasha's.

I definitely like it, but when you look at its features I'm wondering why it costs so much. And wondering if I could have gotten more for the money.

The cd6 is based on the cd9. The only difference is that it has a solid state output vs tubes for the cd9. When I play CDs they sound very, very good. It up samples them to 176.4. But the main reason I wanted this was for its dac. After setting it up, I was surprised to learn that over USB it only upsamples x2. So my ripped CDs only get converted to 88.2 vs 176.4 for physical media. Makes no sense to me, and physical CDs sound superior!

But how much of this difference is in my head, and how much is due to break in? They claim 600(!) hours...I've had it playing for about 6. I am not a big believer in break in, but I hope I'm wrong. It sounds kind of brittle and piercing at times.

Sometimes playing 24/192 files, I get a momentary dropout, too. Might be my Mac mini or network causing that, though. It's intermittent.

Love the build quality, looks, and cd performance though.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:23 AM

FYI...I believe the cd output is about 1db louder than when I am running through USB. When adjusting for that, they sound about equal. Still hoping some of the brittle sound will improve with break in.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Marc,
As mentioned before elsewhere, when my brother was auditioning Alexia he believed his Ref150 was more than ample to drive them..
Sure enough it did, pretty well actually, but until the shop person switched to their old demo stock lying around - Ref210 (w/KT90s) did we realize what was missing and lacking from that of even the Ref150 in a side-by-side. Not so much of what it can do in term of ultimate loudness (dB), the 150 went plenty loud.. But 210's presentation were just a touch more grand (3D, wider, deeper), in-control, and effortless - albeit lacking some refinements of its newer brethren. Hence he is now contemplating Ref250.

Imo, Ref150 is minimum for Sasha to do their things right, and 250 for Alexia.. Or if it was me, good SS amps with enough watts and healthy current should be even better/considered ~ if Alexia. So again, I third the above recommendations to at least go Ref150 if staying with Wilsons - Sasha/Alexia. I know, Ref75 with cool meters is more of an eye candy.. Or you can always do the 250! Nonetheless it's your call, good luck.

Last edited by bvdiman; 11-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.