AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1998 View Post
I would agree, it really depends on source material, the S5 though in my opinion is better for everything except Classical and Jazz.
I'd include home theater duties in that better list; With less than 50hrs, i've found the S5's phenomenal in my 2 channel home theater. They take the biggest theatrical crashes and dynamic swings in their stride without the need for subs. Incredible! I agree with Toga however, if you get the very best out of them with your cables and upstream equipment & things like upgraded feet, they get very very close to the Q3's

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-29-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Jazz, i'm just interested to ask if you've heard the S5's on their factory feet, or with Stillpoints Ultra 5's with Ultra bases? The feedback i've received from Dealers and owners is, these feet are that good they're apt to provide a similar level of improvement (assuming your upstream electronics and cables are up to scratch) as a component upgrade. I must say having placed my Vitus amp on Ultra 5's, the improvement was remarkable. And we still haven't installed the Ultra bases yet! I have a box full of Ultra 5's & Ultra bases ready to install under my S5's when they reach 500hrs...can't wait!
David, I've tried different mixes of Stillpoint mini, SS and the U5's under a few different systems now ranging from $50k to $500k to see what works best on the whole and I've yet to hear a speaker that wasn't most markedly transformed by the U5s. The improvement with speakers in each case was way greater than with any of their the other components. If you don't have to wait to install them under the S5s I certainly wouldn't... Congratulations, you'll love em, they're mind bendingly good.

Graham
Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Steve, the solution you're proposing is certainly far and away superior to what most punters in Australia (even serious audiophiles) are doing. Remember though you're only as strong as your weakest link. Really even if you're using the best AU-spec male connector in the world, if it is mating with inferior brass contacts, that means you will never realize the full potential of that cable or your downstream equipment. Of course we're talking about subtle differences, but as we know, those one percenters in high end audio add up.
David....According to my crystal ball, Furutech AU GTX kits are coming our way soon.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 AM

I'm sorry everyone... But I keep thinking this thread is discussing Audi's... Ha!

Same model numbers but curious why you would compare an Audi Q3 to an Audi S5
Trevor's Home Theatre: McIntosh MX121, McIntosh MC601, McIntosh MC207, McIntosh MLD7020, OPPO BDP95, JVC DLA950, Stewert Screen Studio Tek 130G3, B&W 802D2, B&W HTM2D2, B&W DS8, Klipsch KL 525, Velodyne DD15, WireWorld & IsoTek Cables

Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
I'm sorry everyone... But I keep thinking this thread is discussing Audi's... Ha! Same model numbers but curious why you would compare an Audi Q3 to an Audi S5
LoL I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
David....According to my crystal ball, Furutech AU GTX kits are coming our way soon.
Steve, the Furutech GTX & carbon faceplate would have similar build quality to the Oyaide, and be far superior to a household wpo. Being a compliant fitting is also a bonus, so I have taken note. However i'm not really a fan of Furutech's Rhodium hardware. I asked Jorma Kosky about Rhodium connectors & this is what he had to say - "In my opinion and what I have heard when comparing different types of connectors, the Rhodium plated gives a flat 2-dimensional sound and that material was the worst that I have heard". Gold is better, though I personally prefer the Oyaide hardware which is finished in beryllium copper/platinum/palladium & sounds natural and well balanced to my ears.

It also seems anecdotally that US-spec 3 pin plugs sound better than AU-spec 3 pin plugs due to the physics of their design, though i'm not sure of the voracity of those claims. The FI-50M are comparable to the Oyaide M1 in build quality & are not cheap. I am a Sagitarian, so i'm more of a risk taker. You're taking a cautious approach, but still throwing the best hardware available at the problem. As a result, you should end up with terrific sound and a far more robust connection than your NZ-spec wpo. Given both options, would I still fit the non-compliant Oyaide hardware & keep using my stock Prime pc? Yes. However if I one day get married, move into a different house & set up a dedicated audio/visual room, i'd probably bite the bullet & opt for the Furutech hardware to keep it compliant
Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 AM

I am mostly a lurker, perhaps that is why I am not allowed to start a thread. In any case, there appears to be a new Magico, perhaps a S3. Here is the photo. It is on Magico's home page.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
I'm sorry everyone... But I keep thinking this thread is discussing Audi's... Ha!

Same model numbers but curious why you would compare an Audi Q3 to an Audi S5
Comparing Audis? In the Magico forum??
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Steve, the Furutech GTX & carbon faceplate would have similar build quality to the Oyaide, and be far superior to a household wpo. Being a compliant fitting is also a bonus, so I have taken note. However i'm not really a fan of Furutech's Rhodium hardware. I asked Jorma Kosky about Rhodium connectors & this is what he had to say - "In my opinion and what I have heard when comparing different types of connectors, the Rhodium plated gives a flat 2-dimensional sound and that material was the worst that I have heard". Gold is better, though I personally prefer the Oyaide hardware which is finished in beryllium copper/platinum/palladium & sounds natural and well balanced to my ears.
I was using Oyade in my previous home, and now have switched to Furutech GTX. Cannot say if one is better than the other, both are excellent.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I was using Oyade in my previous home, and now have switched to Furutech GTX. Cannot say if one is better than the other, both are excellent.
Yeah i'd agree with that. I think the real difference is likely to come from the synergy created from the metallurgy of the connector with the wpo. Here Furutech's Rhodium plating will yield a different sound to Oyaide which use beryllium copper/platinum/palladium. Which creates better synergy in your system is a matter of personal preference I think. In my system I prefer the Oyaide hardware.