AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu
I believe that is why AA is such a trusted source for info & reviews. We have no hidden agenda, no manufacturers to impress, no quotas to fill, no politics whatsoever.

We just call it like we hear it, ever so rare in todays day & time.
Exactly Ivan !
I personnaly favor AA's reviews much more than the press.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I believe that is why AA is such a trusted source for info & reviews. We have no hidden agenda, no manufacturers to impress, no quotas to fill, no politics whatsoever.

We just call it like we hear it, ever so rare in todays day & time.

+1...

Dave
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I heard from Mark at Reno Hi Fi today. He offered a contact telephone number at Pass Labs, and said Pass Labs would try to help me find a solution to the noise issue I have been experiencing. My response back to him was the XP-15 is no longer in my sound system, and is boxed, sealed and ready to ship. His reply gave me instructions on returning the XP-15 for a prompt refund, and thanking me for giving them an opportunity to try and fill my need. This is how a good audio dealer should treat customers. Reno Hi Fi is honoring their 10 day in home trial period without any hidden issues. I will make final comments once my refund has been completed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I heard from Mark at Reno Hi Fi today. He offered a contact telephone number at Pass Labs, and said Pass Labs would try to help me find a solution to the noise issue I have been experiencing. My response back to him was the XP-15 is no longer in my sound system, and is boxed, sealed and ready to ship. His reply gave me instructions on returning the XP-15 for a prompt refund, and thanking me for giving them an opportunity to try and fill my need. This is how a good audio dealer should treat customers. Reno Hi Fi is honoring their 10 day in home trial period without any hidden issues. I will make final comments once my refund has been completed.
That's good to know Dan ! to Reno HiFi. They don't look like "gamblers" !
Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Central Scrutinizer

Reno Hi-Fi is a great dealer, although I haven't had a need to return anything I have purchased from them...XP-25, XA 100.5's.
Clearaudio: Master Innovation, Universal Arm Graham Engineering: Phantom II Supreme Pass Labs: XP-30 Preamp, XP-25 phono, XS-150 monoblock amps PS Audio: PWT, PWD Mk.2, 2-Power Plant Premier, P5, AC-10, AC-12 Power Cords Wilson Audio: Alexandria X-2 Series 2 Carts: Koetsu Coralstone, Ortofon A90, Shelter Harmony Stands: Adona Zero GXT (Component & Amps)Wires: Siltech 770i XLR, LS-110 (G6) Speaker wire, Nordost Valhalla XLR Room Treatments: Realtraps
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Just Pure Lucky

That 's a shame Dan -- I read this with interest as I too have been in the past on the phono pre roller coaster with no satisfaction & was hoping to read of a favorable report.

At this writing, I have reservations of a stand-a-lone phono pre out performing my C500T/C. I do have interest in an EAR -- but, I can't accept a silver face plate regardless of it's merits.

Reno Hi-Fi is a standup dealership & applaud their customer service.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Dan, I was sorry to read of the noise problem with the Pass phono amp. I bet it was a defective unit, as the specs show that it is 10db quieter than the Mcintosh. In any case, you were right to send it back since it was noisy. I'd be interested in reading if anyone else on AA has had that issue with their XP-15.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Steve.......I am glad to see this thread get some light again. I have since moved my C2300 into my living room system where I am using the Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet phono cartridge. The C2300's moving magnet phono stage with the Telefunken 12AX7's installed is even quieter than the moving coil phono section with the same tubes, obviously because the gain stages don't have to work with the incredibly low moving coil voltage. Even the moving magnet phono section in the C2300 is exceptional to hear.

I now use a McIntosh C1000C/P solid state preamplifier in the studio system, operating the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge through that preamp's moving coil phono stage. This phono stage is truly outstanding. The noise floor is far lower than even the C2300 with the Telefunken tubes. With no signal I can raise the C1000C/P volume control to 65 without a hint of noise. This makes listening to music so much more enjoyable as sounds come from a far blacker background. Diminishing notes, like a piano key fading to silence, or a tap on a cymbal the rings into silence, the background remains velvet black. Since installing the C1000C/P preamplifier in the studio system I have had zero interest in any outboard phono stage preamplifier.

Finally, I should have updated this thread back in October of 2011 to let everyone know that Reno HiFi was quick to refund my money after they received the Pass Labs XP-15 back in their possession. There was no shenanigans what so ever. Their 10 day in-home audition was honored without any unpleasant issues. I was pleased with my experience with Reno HiFi and would not hesitate to do business with them in the future should I need their service. They are top notch.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM

I have an xp-15 at home to compare it against the xp-25.

It is not noisy in my system, it is very quiet.
It is quieter than my quiet tube phono stage and from memory also the c2300 ( with telefunken tubes) phono stage when I owned the c2300.

One thing it does share with its big brother xp-25 is being very sensitive to placement and hum from other components, especially ones with large transformers ( my cj GAT ), so careful placement is a must, otherwise you may get hum.

Cheers

Last edited by turntable; 04-02-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 AM

how far away does it ideally have to be from your transformers?
also, in the case of the 25, do you have to distance the power supply or the control unit?
or both?