AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 10-01-2011, 02:42 AM

Question Does anyone have any thoughts on the MV-60 non SE ...

I saw one come up for sale and it looks like the EL34 version (which I think I like) and wonder if there might be some internal updates available while keeping the EL34's or even using KT77's.

Still looking .....
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Joe ....to my knowledge we can can modify a MV60 in MV 60SE but we cannot change tubes once the modified wiring,thus if you decide for the EL34 version you cannot put the other tubes

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
I saw one come up for sale and it looks like the EL34 version (which I think I like) and wonder if there might be some internal updates available while keeping the EL34's or even using KT77's.

Still looking .....
The MV60 was a design that was intended to provide "close to" Premier 11A levels of performance utilzing the EL34 based power tube, and bridge the gap between the MV55 and the Premier 11A. It's sound quality was comparable to the Premier 11A, and the amp puts out 55 Wpc. From an in-depth review in Stereophile in 2002, mention is made that it really wants to see the Sovtek EL34 for best performance and reliability. My guess is you could use the new Gold Lion KT77s with it with good results.

The MV60SE was an MV60 modified to provide the bias voltage required to utilize the 6550C Svetlana power tube. It put out more power and had improved dynamics, mostly due to the 6550 tube. Sam Tellig felt the MV60SE sounded even better than the original MV60, but you always have to take reviews with a grain of salt. Once modded to an MV60SE, you cannot go back to an EL34 w/o having C-J "un-mod" back to original specification. The MV60 could also be bridged to mono if you so desired by C-J at the factory, but a good friend says that this is not advisable with tube stereo amps.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks Guys! I am trying to get it from the seller. I don't plan on bringing it up to SE status. I like EL34's and if I succeed, I will talk to C-J about KT77's. I imagine bias might be slightly different.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Conrad Johnson MV-60 For Sale | AudiogoN

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 10-01-2011, 11:40 AM

That's the one I was talking about. I am waiting for a reply from the seller. Fingers crossed. Seems pretty nice.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM

yes very nice.....good luck, Joe

l
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
yes very nice.....good luck, Joe
Thank you! I have to start somewhere Baby steps
Old 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM

OK! I should have my new to me MV-60 by Wed/Thur. It's mine. I've dipped my toe in the C-J amp pool. This should be fun

Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Congrats Joe... you will not be disappointed you risk rather to be surprised by the musicality of this amplifier

l