AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
An update on the "tu-be or not tu-be" dilemma originally presented in this thread a couple of weeks ago:

In short, I'm keeping the Prima Luna. After much consideration, many hours of serious listening, and a few tweaks, I decided that, in my particular set-up, for MY needs, and based on the way I listen to music 95% of the times, the DiaLogue One is a keeper.

A few things have changed since my original "scare":
- I plugged the unit directly to the wall instead of relying on the PS Audio Duet power conditioner. Big change right then and there. Of course, after I mentioned this to a few friends, they all told me basically the same thing: "didn't you know? The PS Audio sucks for anything other than video!". Great. Wish I had known that before wasting $250. I guess I was the only one NOT in the know. Glad I did not go for the $500 Quintet. The plasma does look better with it, so I guess not all is lost.

- I bough a Mapleshade amp stand with Isoblocks. Looks gorgeous and I'm sure it helped a little bit as well, since the amp was on the floor before, too close to the speakers.

- Used the unit for another 75 hours or so.

- Re-arranged my cabling and re-positioned the speakers.

Who knows if it was a combination of all of the above, or my mind playing tricks on me, but the fact of the matter is that the sound "opened-up", dynamics are solid, bass is tighter, and I rarely feel the need for "more power". Specially when listening late at night (the only time of the day that I can actually sit down and TRULY listen), this integrated sounds great. I have never heard a cello sound this real. There's a "sparkle" and "glow" to some albums that can become quite intoxicating after a while. I can go on and on with the usual audiophile embellishment, etc, etc, etc, but the bottom line is that since the Prima Luna finally found its place in my system, I can't stop listening to music. I've been going to bed at 2AM for too many nights in a row because of this thing. That, to me, is all I need to know.

I appreciate everybody's concerns and suggestions, but after sticking with the ultra-linear mode I have experienced ZERO issues when it comes to power delivery. More thoughts later. Now, time to listen to some more music.
esteban...I am very glad to hear things have worked out for you Enjoy the Dialogue One
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM

If you would like a bit more "delicious" sound, try swapping the input tubes on the PrimaLuna. I've used these amplifiers a lot, and they respond much more to swapping the input tubes than the output tubes, at least in terms of tonal quality.

A set of PSVANE or Gold Lion tubes won't break the bank and should give you a bit more organic sound over all.....

If you have access to a Running Springs or an IsoTek dealer, try a RSA Elgar or an Isotek Serius. Both are about $995 and you will be able to plug your PL amp in without any issues of dynamic limiting.

Happy listening...
Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
If you would like a bit more "delicious" sound, try swapping the input tubes on the PrimaLuna. I've used these amplifiers a lot, and they respond much more to swapping the input tubes than the output tubes, at least in terms of tonal quality.
That's good to know. I owned a PrimaLuna Prologue One a few years ago and while it was extremely well built and "competent" in terms of sound - with no glaring weaknesses - it was not satisfying for me in terms of deliciousness. But keep in mind that I am at the extreme end of the delicious scale when it comes to preferences.

Knowing what I know know, I would have tried some tube swapping before I went for full amp swapping.

Alberto
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
That's good to know. I owned a PrimaLuna Prologue One a few years ago and while it was extremely well built and "competent" in terms of sound - with no glaring weaknesses - it was not satisfying for me in terms of deliciousness. But keep in mind that I am at the extreme end of the delicious scale when it comes to preferences.

Knowing what I know know, I would have tried some tube swapping before I went for full amp swapping.

Alberto
Thank you, all, for the comments.

Tonepub, since you mentioned that you are familiar with these amps, do you mind sharing your overall impressions? I'm new to the world of tubes and every little bit of info and first-hand, real-world opinions help. I did read about how "tube-rolling-friendly" these amps are, how well they respond to quality tubes, and how one can actually "tune" and tweak the overall sound simply by swapping them (another reason why I chose the tube route). In fact, I did place an order for a set of Gold Lion KT88's quad. I'll probably experiment with the input tubes as well. It's nice to re-discover a sense of fun when it comes to this hobby.

Alberto, I understand the DiaLogue units are quite different compared to the ProLogue series, with much beefier power supplies and transformers (besides some nice amenities like the remote control, extra inputs, etc.), but it's nice to hear that you did have a nice experience with them. As an entry to the Delicious Sound world, specially for a tube-virgin like me, I'm sure you'll agree that the DiaLogue One is a more than respectable choice.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I just got a set of new Gold Lion tubes for the Prima Luna. I hear they are supposed to be very special indeed. But, me being a tube noob, I have a confession to make (even though I am probably running the risk of making myself look like a fool here): for the life of me I can NOT remove the factory power tubes in the Prima Luna. They are EXTREMELY tight and I am afraid that if I keep adding more pressure to the socket I'll break them. I tried multiple times, and there is no way they'll come out without some major pressure. Are there screws to take care of first? Am I missing something?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

I doubt there are screws holding in the tubes. Gently rock the tubes back and forth, just a little, as you pull upward. When installing the new tubes wear cotton gloves or use a towell to avoid getting body oils on the tubes. Pay very close attention to the keys on the tubes and sockets so they are inserted properly.

Last edited by tdelahanty; 06-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Can you see the top of the pins at all? If so, a drop of Deoxit on each one will loosen things up and give a better connection when the new tubes are inserted.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

What does your manual say about changing tubes? Just follow the instructions there but what Tom and Mike suggest above should get you there