AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Take a look at Salk Signature. Most of them are front ported and you can speak with Jim Salk directly, he is very approachable and helpful. Just a suggestion. http://www.salksound.com/model.php?m...otica+Monitors
Those require further investigation...
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnich View Post
If you need to go small then Joseph Audio Pulsars are the ticket. If you can go bigger there are many other choices!
Very nice. Another to add to the watch list.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 PM

I know you mentioned bookshelf/monitor speakers, but I have a C22/MC275 setup utilizing Legacy Signature SE speakers. My room dimensions are approximately the same as yours and I truly could not be happier. While freestanding, the Signature SE's have a pretty reasonable physical footprint. The cabinets have a sealed design and are forgiving in terms of placement.

-Sean

Last edited by jazzchaos; 02-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM

My system 2 x mc575 + c2300 + sonus faber amati
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Keep in mind that 2 x 75 watt is not powerful enough to have high-end speakers like b & w
Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM

2 * 75 watt is more than sufficient even with the most demanding speakers in a small room. I can’t take my existing B&W’s past 50 on the preamp without causing the house/ceiling/walls to shake and for the sound to be uncomfortably high.

Larger speakers in this room are ridiculous. I’ve tried
Old 02-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
My system 2 x mc575 + c2300 + sonus faber amati
What is an MC575?

Also, the MC75 is plenty of amp and a great match for many of the finest high-end speakers. Just not B&W and other notably difficult to drive models that need more power.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-20-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Keep in mind that 2 x 75 watt is not powerful enough to have high-end speakers like b & w
There are many many “high end” speakers that are very efficient. But one wouldn’t need super efficient speakers with 75watts a side. The MC 75’s can drive pretty much any set of speakers. Certainly the vast majority of speakers. And as far as I can tell all that have been listed here.
Ana Mighty Sounds Paris TNT 15 SilverS Cartridge
Benchmark Dac 3
Silenzio Server by E
Benchmark LA4 preamp
Benchmark ABH2 amplifiers x 2
Volti Audio Rival speakers
Old 02-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Retired

Now that I've got some 'run time' on my new Canton Reference 9Ks, if you wish to stay with monitors I highly recommend them. I'm a 'monitor guy' (every time I go with floor-standers I always go back to monitors) and these are the best I've had in any of my systems. Think they would work wonderfully with your MC75s.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-21-2018, 11:17 PM

I ended up striking a local deal for a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum's and picked them up today. I was a little concerned with the low sensitivity so I called Dynaudio in Europe. They simply said "try them, you won't be disappointed". Their newer speakers are easier to drive.

Straight off the bat the mid's are amazing and the bass is tighter. With the other speakers I'd sometimes get "bass traps" in the corner of the room causing vibrations. Not with these.

Extremely pleased. No need for concern with speakers with such low sensitivity with a 75 watt amp in a room of this size.