AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

View Poll Results: How will David react to the 252->501 upgrade
No difference. I can't believe I let these AA dummies get the best of my rational thinking 4 7.84%
There is a difference ... my wallet is lighter and I no longer have enough rack space. 5 9.80%
Beh! Sound nice, but what's the big deal. 1 1.96%
The sound better, but not $3K better. 7 13.73%
I can finally understand what the big deal is all about. 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 PM

It was entertaining(hilarious) reading the old posts.
I had just gotten my very first Mcintosh used amp MC 501(previously Rotel 1582MK II) and had seen some using Ivan handle which is pretty cool and I was thinking of getting them for my pair. But having listening to the amp for 2-3 weeks now, I am still not very used to the sound which iam trying hard to get used to.
It sounded more warm and smooth and seems to be lacking details and sound stage, it is not something bad but probably not my cup of tea.
Iam not sure if this is the characteristics of the amp or I have gotten a lemon used set?
I don't know if I should change it to the 1.2kw(Used), had a decent deal(top up USD10k) that Iam still contemplating.
I don't know but I feel something special about the 501 that I can't appreciate..haha

Cheers

Last edited by Chericelise; 02-17-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 AM

Haven't seen a Post from Alberto in a while. He must be enjoying his system a lot!
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
The MC602 is way cool, you just need the new handles. PM me...
Yes they are!

Remember a couple of years ago a guy on the 'gon or the bay (I don't recall which) was selling one for $40,000?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM

OK, that was a scam.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piolaxo View Post
Haven't seen a Post from Alberto in a while. He must be enjoying his system a lot!
So flattered that you guys remember me.

"He must be enjoying his system a lot!"

Yes I am!!!

I was on a quest for my own sonic nirvana (which I described as "deliciousness") and--much to my surprise--I found it, and in the most unexpected of combinations.

The core components of my current system are:

Digital source: McIntosh MDA1000 fed through a Sonos and MCD201
Analog: custom plinth Thorens TD125ii with SME 3009ii and Clearaudio Maestro (surprise)
Pre-amp: McIntosh C34V (surprise!)
Power-amp: McIntosh MC250 (surprise!)
Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

And, of course, my very own Delicious Decibels' The Delicious One. Which, alas, I am no longer producing because I am REALLY busy with other work. This is a key piece of equipment for me because, even with this very warm and forgiving setup, there are certain recordings that are too harsh or too thin-sounding for my taste (i.e. not delicious enough). In fact, I probably "blame" The Delicious One for ending my quest for sonic nirvana (a quest that was A LOT of fun.)

The suprise is that, after spending $$$$ on several modern, high-end, analog and pre/power-amps, I ended up with vintage stuff mixed with relatively modern equipment.

For example, the combination of a $$$$ MDA1000 with $ vintage McIntosh electronics is weird, but it works wonderfully for me.

I will admit that the Shindo Monbrison + Cortese were even better than this combination, but since I play my system several hours a day while I work, I did not want to worry about tubes. I will also concede that the MC501s would sound even better than the vintage MC250, but in my current setup I have limited rack space.

Like our friend Serge, when I am done with my current project I will probably come back and be more active on this forum.

In the meantime, I wish you all well and I hope that you are getting closer to your own sonic nirvana.

Alberto
Old 02-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
So flattered that you guys remember me.

"He must be enjoying his system a lot!"

Yes I am!!!

I was on a quest for my own sonic nirvana (which I described as "deliciousness") and--much to my surprise--I found it, and in the most unexpected of combinations.

The core components of my current system are:

Digital source: McIntosh MDA1000 fed through a Sonos and MCD201
Analog: custom plinth Thorens TD125ii with SME 3009ii and Clearaudio Maestro (surprise)
Pre-amp: McIntosh C34V (surprise!)
Power-amp: McIntosh MC250 (surprise!)
Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

And, of course, my very own Delicious Decibels' The Delicious One. Which, alas, I am no longer producing because I am REALLY busy with other work. This is a key piece of equipment for me because, even with this very warm and forgiving setup, there are certain recordings that are too harsh or too thin-sounding for my taste (i.e. not delicious enough). In fact, I probably "blame" The Delicious One for ending my quest for sonic nirvana (a quest that was A LOT of fun.)

The suprise is that, after spending $$$$ on several modern, high-end, analog and pre/power-amps, I ended up with vintage stuff mixed with relatively modern equipment.

For example, the combination of a $$$$ MDA1000 with $ vintage McIntosh electronics is weird, but it works wonderfully for me.

I will admit that the Shindo Monbrison + Cortese were even better than this combination, but since I play my system several hours a day while I work, I did not want to worry about tubes. I will also concede that the MC501s would sound even better than the vintage MC250, but in my current setup I have limited rack space.

Like our friend Serge, when I am done with my current project I will probably come back and be more active on this forum.

In the meantime, I wish you all well and I hope that you are getting closer to your own sonic nirvana.

Alberto
Alberto!!! Good to hear from you and glad to hear everything is just the way you want it. If there is one thing I learned over the 30 years of being in this hobby, it is that it is not the price or the age or the latest brand of desire that ultimately makes me happy. It is the elusive "combination" of gear that creates synergy which speaks to our inner music lover deep inside and evokes an emotional response stronger than ever. It will be different for everyone of course.

I am currently circling back around to enjoying music after some years of not listening at all and I feel I am on the right path as my current system is starting to connect with that inner music lover and bringing me much listening joy. After owning many different speakers, the Harbeth 30.2 are really connecting with me and I am currently experimenting with a long term partner for them between all tubes and class A amplification.

Hope to see you around AA more often my friend.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Alberto!!! Good to hear from you and glad to hear everything is just the way you want it. If there is one thing I learned over the 30 years of being in this hobby, it is that it is not the price or the age or the latest brand of desire that ultimately makes me happy. It is the elusive "combination" of gear that creates synergy which speaks to our inner music lover deep inside and evokes an emotional response stronger than ever. It will be different for everyone of course.

I am currently circling back around to enjoying music after some years of not listening at all and I feel I am on the right path as my current system is starting to connect with that inner music lover and bringing me much listening joy. After owning many different speakers, the Harbeth 30.2 are really connecting with me and I am currently experimenting with a long term partner for them between all tubes and class A amplification.

Hope to see you around AA more often my friend.
Nice hearing from you Alberto , don't be such a stranger