AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Interesting! GMs live in the living room, so acoustic panel is not an option. Maybe I can put more plants along the wall? That might help?
That will help. I used that approach in my own room recently. It's not quite as good as the true acoustic panels and I had a room fully treated before but the plants certainly help a lot.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I have a feeling my old Luxman gear is severely limiting my GM, as I've never experienced that kind of bass.
That is difficult to answer. Perhaps the amp can't do great bass on those GM's, they are a bit more difficult to drive as compared to the Auditors (I've owned both in the same room, with the same gear) but it can also be the size of the room and/or positioning of the speakers.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That is difficult to answer. Perhaps the amp can't do great bass on those GM's, they are a bit more difficult to drive as compared to the Auditors (I've owned both in the same room, with the same gear) but it can also be the size of the room and/or positioning of the speakers.
Since you owned both, let me ask you questions: what kind of music do you like, what kind of sound do you prefer, and between the GM and Auditor, which do you prefer? I will eventually buy a pair of bookshelf type speakers and would like to hear your opinion. I've heard both at the store many times over but to really know and appreciate the speaker you really have to have them at home and listen for months. I intend to use them for chamber music, folks songs, and light jazz.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Beautiful speakers, Dan!
I am sure you will enjoy them.

Last edited by Sonus; 10-14-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post
Since you owned both, let me ask you questions: what kind of music do you like, what kind of sound do you prefer, and between the GM and Auditor, which do you prefer? I will eventually buy a pair of bookshelf type speakers and would like to hear your opinion. I've heard both at the store many times over but to really know and appreciate the speaker you really have to have them at home and listen for months. I intend to use them for chamber music, folks songs, and light jazz.
I like a wide variety of music, blues, jazz, rock, some pop, some classical so both speakers saw quite a variety of music and were both put through their paces. I owned both long enough to form an opinion and have a long lasting impression. Your taste in music is definitely within the realm of the strong points of the Sonus Faber speakers.

The GM's are a more capable speaker, I liked the very refined tweeter, the better bass capability, the seductive mids which were a bit more neutral but a bit more open and still very musical. Having said that, the GMs were almost 3x the price of the Auditors. Were they 3x a better speaker? I'd have to say no but you know how it goes in audio. You really have to pay to get the last ounce. If you are not concerned with the price difference, go for the GMs and you will have a fantastic speaker but the Auditors are also quite a nice speaker that do so many things right. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Dan, next stop Guarneri Memento's. My dealer still has my pair that I traded in by the way.
Serge.......I wonder what he wants for them. Any idea?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-14-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=jdandy;41781]
Quote:
Dan, next stop Guarneri Memento's. My dealer still has my pair that I traded in by the way.

Serge.......I wonder what he wants for them. Any idea?
I'll find out Dan.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM

Dan,

Those are beautiful pictures of a beautiful audio system. Thank you for so meticulously cataloging every step of the setup and listening experience so we could enjoy it too!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
Dan,

Those are beautiful pictures of a beautiful audio system. Thank you for so meticulously cataloging every step of the setup and listening experience so we could enjoy it too!
mgard.......My pleasure. It is a joy to share something I love so much.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I like a wide variety of music, blues, jazz, rock, some pop, some classical so both speakers saw quite a variety of music and were both put through their paces. I owned both long enough to form an opinion and have a long lasting impression. Your taste in music is definitely within the realm of the strong points of the Sonus Faber speakers.

The GM's are a more capable speaker, I liked the very refined tweeter, the better bass capability, the seductive mids which were a bit more neutral but a bit more open and still very musical. Having said that, the GMs were almost 3x the price of the Auditors. Were they 3x a better speaker? I'd have to say no but you know how it goes in audio. You really have to pay to get the last ounce. If you are not concerned with the price difference, go for the GMs and you will have a fantastic speaker but the Auditors are also quite a nice speaker that do so many things right. Good luck.
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I like the GM but my wife does not. She thinks the big stand makes it look like Pez dispenser... I guess many people look at things differently. Since I can buy the stands for the Auditor M separately, I wonder if the GM can be mounted on the Auditor M stand? That would satisfy both myself and wife! Not sure of the effect it would have to the sound of the GM, but I'm guessing minimal as the stands for the Auditor M are very sturdy. There is a height difference but I think the GM stand is too high and puts the tweeter well above people's ears when sitting.

Anyways, just being curious if the stands are exchangeable.