AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
That's a Deusy !

Default Oppo BDP 95 Modwright !

Does anyone have one of these what are your impressions.... I bet it is wicked !
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
The Architect

I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I will have my tube-modded Modwright 95 very soon - it's all ready to go outside of waiting for a digital input mod to be completed and installed. I posted about my status (in the context of the MVP881 thread) here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...tml#post204170

In the meantime I am continuing to enjoy my ModWright BDP-83 with the full solid-state mods which sounds excellent! I do expect the higher end tube mods combined with the Sabre 32 reference dacs in the 95 to be fantastic and even better!
Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never heard a player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.

So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?

I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables

Last edited by rnrmf1971; 09-21-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: anal retentive grammar correction
Old 09-17-2011, 01:09 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Wow! I'm really curious about how this changes the sound of the player. I've never player as transparent as the BDP95. From my perspective it just needs a little bit of musicality to improve it. By musicality, I mean some kind of seductiveness/richness to really draw you in. The way it reveals details in recordings is something I've never heard before. I've been considering the Modwright mods, but don't want to lose that resolving quality of the player, either.
Everything I have heard from Dan and read is that the mods do exactly as you describe while maintaining if not increasing resolution. Here is Dan's description of the differences between stock 95 and his mods:

"What jumps right out at me is the increased soundstage depth and width. Secondly, the low-level information and aural cues are simply much more apparent with the modified unit. Detail and resolution excel with the modified unit, over stock, and stock is GOOD! The key differences are resolution, micro-detail/dynamics, decay and a natural ‘ease’ to the music."

My understanding is that Dan will be doing A/B comparisons of the stock 95 vs. the ModWright 95 at RMAF - I look forward to hearing the reports back from that from those who attend.

Quote:
So you're going to receive a player with an added digital input? Did you get the upgraded cord between the power supply and player, too?
Yes and Yes!

Quote:
I can't wait to hear feedback on how your 95 turns out!
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
I will let everyone know when I receive it and will definitely share my impressions!
Awesome! Good luck with it and I hope you get it soon!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM

It should be great, i am next on the list to get done as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Modwright BDP-Mod - Bybee rails

My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done!

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

RoyMercer... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMercer View Post
My BDP-95 Modwright mod is scheduled for the middle of Oct. Tell them to hurry up on yours so I can get mine done!

Did you also opt for the Bybee rail mod(s)? I am still debating if I am going to have them installed. If I do, I was thinking of only doing it for the 2 ch DAC. I am doing the SS MCH mod and the tube mod. I have bright speakers and at times I do notice a harsh edge on the MCH output, even with movies. What do you guys think on the Bybee rails?
Welcome RoyMercer!

I believe the Bybee rails will be a worthwhile option and I had them done on mine! The SS muti-channel mods should smooth things out for you
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info! Have you received your BDP-95 back from the mod yet?

Last edited by RoyMercer; 10-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.