AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 01-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Default JBL M2's.....anyone have?

Curious if you have/like them? Also, can you purchase without the Crown amps?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jon.......I haven't seen or heard the JBL M2 speakers but they certainly look good on paper.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/r...r#.WGmGT_krKUl

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm...re_Jan2013.pdf

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-01-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Subaholic

Read this thread

avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/2523385-rob-hahn-theater-build.html

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-02-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: active links to other forums against forum rules
Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 AM

I've thought about them since they were introduced. It looks like you might (maybe) be able to use your Mcs with it, but there's no apparent way to get around using the BSS London Blue processor. That processor includes delays, digital eq (selectable parametric and/or graphic as I recall), a full featured multi way crossover, routing and additional processing that I'd imagine JBL either programs or provides the parameters for. It would be essential to getting the LF crossover leg and the compression driver/horn levels and slopes (probably including any delays/phase characteristics) properly aligned. The BSS is a very good piece, arguably one of the top three or four pro processors on the market, and reasonably priced by high end standards. I don't know what /whose DSP chips they are using though. That's undoubtedly changed since I last used BSS gear six or seven years ago.

It's a system approach and makes sense to me. But if you absolutely must use the Crowns or not remains a question the lit dosn't really seem to answer. The Crown ITs also have (or had) processing features if I recall, but they would seem to be redundant, (and possibly not even included in the package) since I would think all the processing you need is there once you have the BSS piece. Easy enough to call them and find out. It looks like they are direct descendants of Dr. Toole's team as the lit calls out the design tricks suggested by their research and the supporting specs.

I have been told they are terrific, but I have not heard them.

Last edited by Pampero; 01-04-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Tons of info and threads about them and Revel on AVS forum. I spent a lot of time reading about the JBL Synthesis products too. It's a whole other ballgame.

Amazing times. Lots of advancements in the art and science of speaker design.

Kicking myself, was in New York not long ago and walked by the JBL store not knowing they had the M2 and Salon 2 speakers, both of which I want to hear.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Curious if you have/like them? Also, can you purchase without the Crown amps?
Hello everyone, First Post!! What a great find this Site is.

I have built a pair of these. All parts were available at the time so I had no choice

They sounded real good with the D2430K installed and even better when I installed the 2450-SL with be diaphragms. The 2216nd is a awesome woofer and the waveguide does not loose high frequency when sitting in different locations of my sofa.

I currently run them with a Crown DCI 4300N. I had a chance to audition them with the iTech 5000 amps (in my house) and other than 300 watts more power I did not hear a difference. Time was limited with the amps though.

There are three different DSP solutions that I know of that will keep the intended curve when building a 5cf box and using the original xover and D2430K. BSS, Mini-DCP with open-DRC and Behringer DCX2496. I'm also a McIntosh guy so I may be looking into the DCX2496 since it's less expensive. Sadly enough my MC2100 and MC2155 have been parked since going to this system over a year and a half. That said if I didn't have the chance to gather these parts for an M2 build, I would have been happy with what I have.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by Srm51555; 06-20-2017 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM

I have heard the 4367's, the M2's consumer version w/ traditional crossovers but the drivers are very similar if not identical (save for the waveguide - M2 is larger) and the JBL Pro 705 and 708 which all use variations of the D2 high frequency driver and special woofers to keep up with the D2. All I can say is: Spectacular!

After I spent time with these, all other speakers kind of sound rather flat. This is truly next generation sound.

The 4367's sound like live instruments and voices are in the room with you and you dont have to crank the volume either. Sound great at low and concert level volumes. Low volume listening still reveals EVERYTHING!

If JBL could figure out how to make the 4367 more attractive, it would be a HUGE seller.

Luckily, I have a very giving wifey
Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
I have heard the 4367's, the M2's consumer version w/ traditional crossovers but the drivers are very similar if not identical (save for the waveguide - M2 is larger) and the JBL Pro 705 and 708 which all use variations of the D2 high frequency driver and special woofers to keep up with the D2. All I can say is: Spectacular!

After I spent time with these, all other speakers kind of sound rather flat. This is truly next generation sound.

The 4367's sound like live instruments and voices are in the room with you and you dont have to crank the volume either. Sound great at low and concert level volumes. Low volume listening still reveals EVERYTHING!

If JBL could figure out how to make the 4367 more attractive, it would be a HUGE seller.

Luckily, I have a very giving wifey
Of course, an AT screen can cover a multitude of sins...