AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Old 03-22-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Thanks Greg, its that "defined and holographic soundstage" that I'm worried about missing out on!

So did you hear the M-900U with the C-900U, and the M-700U with the C-700U, or both amps on the C-900U? Just trying to figure out the contribution of the possible pre-amp difference, though to be fair I think my heart is already set on the M-900U the more I hear and read about it.

I'd be looking to get just the amp initially, and hold onto my Levinson Pre (326S) for the time being, as I love what it does with my Revel Salon 2's.

In terms of price in one of those rare instances where its cheaper in the UK with £11,000 UK list - usually the UK price is £1:$1. Even in Europe it seems to be more expensive at EUR 14,999.
I did not mix 700 with 900. I think it's smart to start with the M-900U and see how it works with the Levinson. Good luck and keep us posted!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
The integrated does look a very nice unit. I see a newer version, the 590X was released in January but I can't seem to find any reviews on it.
It's the L-509X not the L-590AXII!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 PM

I’m finally getting around to an in-home demo of the Luxman separates.

I have the 700 amp along with the 700 and 900 preamp. It will be a fun filled night!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:55 PM

I'm sure of that. Fun times.
Can you later describe the difference between the two preamps.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post

I have the 700 amp along with the 700 and 900 preamp. It will be a fun filled night!
Have fun Greg. Luxman is awesome stuff!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Greg.
|||HOME CINEMA: JVC DLA-X70 Projector | Lumagen Radiance Mini | Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K 120" AT screen | Datasat RS20i | Aerial Acoustics LR5's, CC5 + 4 x SR3 Surrounds + 2 x LR3 Front Heights + 2 x Model 5B Wides (11.2) | 2 x Paradigm Reference Sub 1's | 3 x AB Systems 11000SE 1000W monoblocs + 6500SE 6-Channel 500W | Oppo BDP-95 | Netgear NeoTV 550 | NAD M50 | 24TB Synology 2413+ ||| HI-FI: Revel Ultima Salon 2 | Mark Levinson 532H | DAC - TBC | Pre-amp TBC | NAD M50 |||
Old 02-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Well, I have admit that I was a bit surprised. By way of reference, I was looking for something better than my L-509X integrated amp. Having never heard the Luxman separates in my audio room, I was looking forward to the comparisons.

First, I tried the c700u/m700u combo. Very nice, smooth and detailed. Was it better than my L-509X? To my ears, they were almost the same. I was quite surprised.

Next, I switched out the c700u for a c900u. Much better detail, as if a veil was lifted. Soundstage was about the same as the previous combo and the integrated for that matter.

After two days of listening, I reconnected my L-509X. It sounded really, really good.

Bottom line (at least to me) is that the 700 combo compared to Luxman’s newest integrated is a virtual toss up.

This excercise proved to me that the L-509X punches well above its weight class.

While I was try to avoid lugging a 100 pound amp upstairs, I think I’m going to have to pair the C900u preamp with the more appropriate M900u amp to experience Luxman’s TOTL performance.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I have admit that I was a bit surprised. By way of reference, I was looking for something better than my L-509X integrated amp. Having never heard the Luxman separates in my audio room, I was looking forward to the comparisons.

First, I tried the c700u/m700u combo. Very nice, smooth and detailed. Was it better than my L-509X? To my ears, they were almost the same. I was quite surprised.

Next, I switched out the c700u for a c900u. Much better detail, as if a veil was lifted. Soundstage was about the same as the previous combo and the integrated for that matter.

After two days of listening, I reconnected my L-509X. It sounded really, really good.

Bottom line (at least to me) is that the 700 combo compared to Luxman’s newest integrated is a virtual toss up.

This excercise proved to me that the L-509X punches well above its weight class.

While I was try to avoid lugging a 100 pound amp upstairs, I think I’m going to have to pair the C900u preamp with the more appropriate M900u amp to experience Luxman’s TOTL performance.
Yes, the integrated 509, 590 gets you mighty close to the top shelf components at a fraction of the price. Hence my stop at the Class A L-590AXII and total satisfaction. For those seeking the ultimate, the 900 components with the out of this world D-08u is a dream and TOTL experience. If you decide to pull the trigger Greg, no doubt you will be very happy for a long time (in audiophile years at least) Good luck with your quest.