AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 AM

I recommend to try the D1100 if possible. You can get them used for around $4,000.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 PM

Well, i have checked out all of the suggestions and have narrowed down the choices.
A headphone amp would be a nice feature but a full pre-amp is not important to me. Also, I want to have inputs for glass, coax and USB.

1KW and Blueoak; you guys are a bad influence ... as much of a Mc fan that I am, I'm looking for something a little more compact and more in the $2k range. That said...

I appreciate all of the input. The final decision won't be in the near future and all comments continue to be welcomed.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Get a Schiit Gungnir Multibit for $1250 and call it a day...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Puma Cat-

I saw your praise for this unit on another thread and checked it out. My eyes were sore from all I read yesterday.

I like that it is a DAC period; no other circuitry/features I really do not need driving up the cost. Also, a solid history of easily upgradeable performance enhancements.

While I know nothing about DAC design, marketing and distribution costs, the folks at Schiit appear to make an impressive case for their approach on all three. Looks like it can run with others at close to twice the price.

All of this puts this Schiit on my short list along with Benchmark and perhaps Mytec.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......Since you mentioned that Mytek was on your short list, be advised that they showed the new Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ at RMAF. Priced at $2195.00, the Brooklyn DAC+ now incorporates the new ESS Sabre 9028PRO DAC. The chipset is said to provide even more convincing digital PCM, DSD and MQA playback and streaming as well as state of the art M/C, M/M Phono stages. The Brooklyn DAC+’s new headphone circuitry has raised the performance bar and is said to rival many dedicated headphone amplifiers. Scheduled shipping for the DAC+ is October 16th.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Puma Cat-

I saw your praise for this unit on another thread and checked it out. My eyes were sore from all I read yesterday.

I like that it is a DAC period; no other circuitry/features I really do not need driving up the cost. Also, a solid history of easily upgradeable performance enhancements.

While I know nothing about DAC design, marketing and distribution costs, the folks at Schiit appear to make an impressive case for their approach on all three. Looks like it can run with others at close to twice the price.

All of this puts this Schiit on my short list along with Benchmark and perhaps Mytec.
Hi John, personally, I think the Gungnir Multibit can make a run at others at ≥3X the price. The nice thing about Schiit is that they think proactively, and are trying to provide REAL value for money for customers. Ironically, there's virtually no bullschiit with Schiit. They don't do anything unless there are sound, practical reasons for it. They put their COGS (cost of goods and services) and develop the specs for their BOMs (Bill of Materials) for their product develoment activities into what will provide the most performance a(e.g. using Analog Devices mil-spec DAC chips than than cheap, off-the-shelf D/S audio DAC chips), quality, reliability and durability, into superbly designed, fully discrete analog output sections, robust power supplies, very low-jitter clocks, etc. rather than into polished machined-from-billet gold-plated 3/8" face plates, expensive feet, and other "audiophile jewelry".

I'm going to put up a review for you and others today that may be interested. Keep an eye out for it.

My very best regards,
Stephen aka the 'ole snaggle-toothed, gimpy-legged Puma Cat...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-08-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM

Dan & Stephen-

Thank you for the information.
A little more study is now in order.

BTW, am I correct to understand that in the correct pronunciation for the company Schiit the c and one i are silent?
Old 10-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Dan & Stephen-

Thank you for the information.
A little more study is now in order.

BTW, am I correct to understand that in the correct pronunciation for the company Schiit the c and one i are silent?
Yup. It's pronounced just as you might expect.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:24 AM

Personally I’m a big fan of benchmark. I have owned a few of their DACs - most recently the DAC3 and it is a spectacular product. Not much of a looker because like all benchmark products, it has been designed for pro audio and recording studios where it has been a standard for years. I haven’t any experience with the Brooklyn or the Shiit so I cannot comment on a comparison. But I would suggest you spend some time on the benchmark site reading John Siaus application notes. No audiophile mumbo jumbo. As Joe Friday liked to say ....just the facts.
Ana Mighty Sounds Paris TNT 15 SilverS Cartridge
Benchmark Dac 3
Silenzio Server by E
Benchmark LA4 preamp
Benchmark ABH2 amplifiers x 2
Volti Audio Rival speakers
Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 AM

Josh Nick-

Thanks.

While I seem to be leaning toward the Schiit, I do like the footprint and approach (looks too) of the Benchmark. Just not sure I want to spend a grand more for additional features I may never use.

They are going to be at CES next week. I may well jump to the other side of the Hudson and have a listen.