AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Good to know Serge. If there were no issues and that's the sound of that pairing, then I agree... no likey! IF that's what I was hearing then I'm not a fan of the clinical sound either. I haven't listened to enough systems to have that reference, but that did not do it for me.
Well that's good that you are able to clearly define what you like or do not like early on in the game. Most people can not since it takes many a comparison and lots of auditioning must take place where one develops a taste or clear preference for the type of sound he/she enjoys.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaboudreaux View Post
Good to know Serge. If there were no issues and that's the sound of that pairing, then I agree... no likey! IF that's what I was hearing then I'm not a fan of the clinical sound either. I haven't listened to enough systems to have that reference, but that did not do it for me.
This thread was started because an Alexx did not sound like an Alexx. After much work, the issue was deemed not to be the Alexx, but the way the system upstream saw Alexx. The concerns were alleviated by properly setting the components for one another.

As for what you heard, I can't say. I can say that if Alexia 2 bass sounds like the bass you describe for Alexia 1 or as you describe for this instance of Alexia 2, something is way off. Given the system pairing is unusual to say the least and that all the gear is well pedigreed, the first step would be to confirm that disparate components are not somehow mismatched (impedance, gain, cable calibration for instance).

But at the end of the day, whether you prefer it or not, a 911MkIII should make bass on an Alexia 2. If it doesn't, it's time to start troubleshooting, not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
This thread was started because an Alexx did not sound like an Alexx. After much work, the issue was deemed not to be the Alexx, but the way the system upstream saw Alexx. The concerns were alleviated by properly setting the components for one another.

As for what you heard, I can't say. I can say that if Alexia 2 bass sounds like the bass you describe for Alexia 1 or as you describe for this instance of Alexia 2, something is way off. Given the system pairing is unusual to say the least and that all the gear is well pedigreed, the first step would be to confirm that disparate components are not somehow mismatched (impedance, gain, cable calibration for instance).

But at the end of the day, whether you prefer it or not, a 911MkIII should make bass on an Alexia 2. If it doesn't, it's time to start troubleshooting, not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Got a bit sidetracked with synergy, should have been a separate thread. Synergy is a personal preference anyways. Certainly Burmester and Wilson are both highly regarded in the audio community and you are right Bill, the Burmester amp should make the Alexx stand up and dance when it says so.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

You're right Bill, all great equipment and it should sound sublime. Something must be wrong. Thank you for your input.

Apologies to OP for getting sidetracked. You have amazing gear... very glad you got your Alexx sounding the way it should. Wilson customer support is one of the best in the business... just one more reason why I want to move in that direction one day soon.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean