AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Dan's and Ivan's recommendations are quite good. If you want new, the Bryston speakers are getting rave reviews. They are affordable and well made. The PMC for sale here in AA are a terrific value.

If you could go up some more from a budget perspective, try the NOLA KOs. These are fantastic speakers. They are dynamic, efficient and can play rock, jazz and classical very well.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Steve.......There are a pair of PMC EB1i speakers listed in the Marketplace. They will most definitely rock your world. They're in New York state. Might be worth the drive to bring your music and see what you think. The EB1i's can rock.

With the price drop of these speakers in the market place you would be very pleased with PMC.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
I tried... I really tried to "grow up" with my musical tastes. I read through the "What music are you listening to now" thread and sampled some of the more popular choices. I've gone to my local audio store and politely listened to the same old typical musical track selections that show off the qualities of the gear they are demoing. When I've asked for something faster paced, I've accepted listening to Dire Straits. I know I should have brought my own music, but just didn't want to admit that my musical tastes run from classic 70's punk (The Clash is my favorite band), to 80's Hair bands, all the way to todays top 40 (have 2 young kids and like to listen to "their" music with them.) I've come to a conclusion that I'm not going to grow up and my musical tastes today are the same as they were 25 years ago! I'm going to proudly take my demo CD in of Metallica, GNR, The Clash, Cinderella, Springsteen, Pink, Queen, etc.

I bought my current system (Classe CA5200 and SSP800) more for their home theater capabilities than their 2 channel capabilities. My speakers are B&W 804 Diamonds and I have a Paradigm sub15. It really works well for me for home theater, but I'm not totally satisfied on 2 channel. Love the Classe equipment, but would like to take a look at some other speakers.

With that said, I'm looking to you fellow "rockers" on AA to give me some ideas on what speakers I should give a listen to. Lucky enough to be in the Philadelphia market which gives me access to just about every brand out there. I paid around $6,000 for my B&W 804 Diamonds and would like to stay in the same range if possible. Definitely open to used equipment.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Steve
I second the other votes for the PMC EB1s. I've owned many speakers and the PMCs would simply be stunning with 80s hair band music. No joke. The speakers you have now are not a good match for you musical taste IMO. The PMCs have a much more earthy organic and live sound to them. They also have way way better bass. I'd also recommend dynaudio focus 340s which I personally owned. I posted a video on YouTube of the 340s playing some white stripes here (check it out, pretty great for your type of music and in your price range) [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqGC3QRIhE[/ame]
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Rebellious!

Any system that can achieve high Sound Pressure Level.

Looking at the specs, Ivans suggestion is right on the money. From personal experience the McIntosh XR200 or XRT1K paired with a MC601 pair should get you to throw you fist in the air \M/

My choice is in my signature and it blasts Enter Sandman like section A row 1.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado