AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Not as high-end as many here, but I believe it is possible that cables, as with gear, can change over time. I experienced it.

I replaced some Kimber Hero IC with Transparent Plus a while back. Playing one of my go-to tracks, it didn't sound much different than the Hero. I thought, "leave it for a while." The following week I played the same track, and the sound was different. It was smoother on the top end. And the detail was still there, plus a wee bit more. There weren't that many hours on the Plus; I'd guesstimate ten.

Maybe "break-in" is the wrong term from a technical standpoint? Anyway, while I don't discount science, I also am persuaded science doesn't/can't explain everything. There is theory and there is reality, and the two are sometimes at odds. There must be some objective process occurring to explain what happened in my case and that of many others. Perhaps there's simply no measurement or test for it, at least not yet.

Not feeling well today, but I hope the above is coherent enough.
I often wonder if hearing is similar to taste. Think about it when it comes to wine. Does aeration work? Does what you eat or drink earlier affect the taste? Does your mood affect the taste? Time of day? Temperature? Company? Etc...

For me, wine can taste different depending on all these factors and more.

Maybe our appreciation for audio is impacted by 20 other things we aren't even aware of! That could explain a bit of this phenomenon.

Audio Research Ref6 / Esoteric K-01X, E-03, A-02 / Wilson Alexia / VPI Classic One / Lyra Kleos / W4S Recovery / Transparent Reference Gen5 / Shunyata Alpha / HRS S3 Isolation bases / Mac Mini with Audirvana and Tidal
Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Health, Love & Clarity

Default and so on.. and so on.. and so on..

John: Hey Tom, ...I just got me this terrific amp you want to listen to it?

Tom: Ohhhh cool John, sounds great, but it would really shine if you had better speakers.. you know?..

Right..

Tom: Yep you're right John.. it's damn good, but you're system really would shine if you had a better CD player..

Right!..s

Tom... Oh wow that is such an improvement.. but you really need to get some better cables..

Right you are...

Tom: Right John, these do make a difference.... You know now, you know to work on your room acoustics.. and speaker placement.. that would really set the stage..

Right..

Tom: See I told you man, it's all about the synergy.. Though your sound will go through the roof is you clean up your current.....

Right.....

Tom:.. yep.. really..

John.. hey.. Tom.......

:Audio Note SORO SE Signature, Bryston BDA3, Bryston CDP-3, SonoS Connect, W4S Remedy, PS Audio P5
Cables: Wireworld - XLR Silver Eclipse 6.0 Interconnects: Silver Starlight 7 Digital Interconnects, Speaker Cable 5.2 Silver Eclipse. Nordost - Vishnu Power Cables.
Speakers: Triangle Antal Anniversary Edition

Alternate: Peachtree Decco, SonoS Connect, W4S Remedy, ProAc Response1.5,
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I often wonder if hearing is similar to taste. Think about it when it comes to wine. Does aeration work? Does what you eat or drink earlier affect the taste? Does your mood affect the taste? Time of day? Temperature? Company? Etc...

For me, wine can taste different depending on all these factors and more.

Maybe our appreciation for audio is impacted by 20 other things we aren't even aware of! That could explain a bit of this phenomenon.
Bingo !! ............ finally, an audiophile admitting that the 'mind' is at play here more than anything else !
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Bingo !! ............ finally, an audiophile admitting that the 'mind' is at play here more than anything else !
I'm just admitting that I'm open to the idea because I see parallels with other senses.

Audio Research Ref6 / Esoteric K-01X, E-03, A-02 / Wilson Alexia / VPI Classic One / Lyra Kleos / W4S Recovery / Transparent Reference Gen5 / Shunyata Alpha / HRS S3 Isolation bases / Mac Mini with Audirvana and Tidal
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm just admitting that I'm open to the idea because I see parallels with other senses.
LOL..........you just can't admit it can you !! ......
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
LOL..........you just can't admit it can you !! ......
Not after I just bought TA ref ic's and SC's! Noooooooo

Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
John: Hey Tom, ...I just got me this terrific amp you want to listen to it?

Tom: Ohhhh cool John, sounds great, but it would really shine if you had better speakers.. you know?..

Right..

Tom: Yep you're right John.. it's damn good, but you're system really would shine if you had a better CD player..

Right!..s

Tom... Oh wow that is such an improvement.. but you really need to get some better cables..

Right you are...

Tom: Right John, these do make a difference.... You know now, you know to work on your room acoustics.. and speaker placement.. that would really set the stage..

Right..

Tom: See I told you man, it's all about the synergy.. Though your sound will go through the roof is you clean up your current.....

Right.....

Tom:.. yep.. really..

John.. hey.. Tom.......

This is NOT accurate!

You forgot Stillpoints!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 AM

The debat about cables is one that will keep coming up, IMO the following points are very important before you should start comparing cables:

- Is your power supply up to the task (equipment correctly phased, preferably separate audio groups for analog/digital)
- Are there any "bottlenecks" in your equipment. (it will never sound better then the weakest link)
- Are your speakers set up correctly in the room (so important !!)
- Optimized room acoustics and system tuning.

When all points are ticked, I am confident that your system can highlight differences between cables.

I agree some prices for cables are getting stratospheric, I would not pay USD 80000 for a pair of speaker cables either, but just purchase the cables that suite your budget and system.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:52 AM

One observation I had is that there are inexpensive cables that handle 5GHz just fine for broadcast and antennas. Obsessing over the 20-20,000Hz spectrum seems illogical in comparison.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Health, Love & Clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
This is NOT accurate!

You forgot Stillpoints!
Damn it! ...
:Audio Note SORO SE Signature, Bryston BDA3, Bryston CDP-3, SonoS Connect, W4S Remedy, PS Audio P5
Cables: Wireworld - XLR Silver Eclipse 6.0 Interconnects: Silver Starlight 7 Digital Interconnects, Speaker Cable 5.2 Silver Eclipse. Nordost - Vishnu Power Cables.
Speakers: Triangle Antal Anniversary Edition

Alternate: Peachtree Decco, SonoS Connect, W4S Remedy, ProAc Response1.5,
Closed Thread