Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 06-28-2020, 03:03 PM

Default Computer predicts the end of the civilization

https://youtu.be/cCxPOqwCr1I
Old 07-03-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
PHC1, you are clearly a thinker. I don't know if I agree with any of that for numerous reasons not worth going in to. Everybody has an agenda and you can "prove" anything you want to if you are clever enough. But I will say this: In med school my ID professor in the introductory lecture said: "If it's between Man and the Staphylococcus, I'd bet on the Staphylococcus." I'm sure he was correct.

Best

Charles
Old 07-03-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Computer predicts the end of the civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
But I will say this: In med school my ID professor in the introductory lecture said: "If it's between Man and the Staphylococcus, I'd bet on the Staphylococcus." I'm sure he was correct.

Best

Charles

Hahaha!

Last edited by Cohibaman; 07-04-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Everybody has an agenda and you can "prove" anything you want to if you are clever enough.
No, you can't. You can't prove f≠ma or pv≠nRT, as these are facts. For the most part, though, I agree with the video.

The biggest threat civilization will be climate change.

And very possibly, the collapse of agriculture due to the widespread killing of honeybees by 5G telecom.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-03-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 PM
Go Dawgs

Well......it's 2020 so not a whole lot would surprise me at this point.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Well......it's 2020 so not a whole lot would surprise me at this point.
Ha ha! Good one!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
No, you can't. You can't prove f≠ma or pv≠nRT, as these are facts. For the most part, though, I agree with the video.

The biggest threat civilization will be climate change.

And very possibly, the collapse of agriculture due to the widespread killing of honeybees by 5G telecom.
Puma, you are correct but have missed my point, I believe. All proof is based on your assumptions. It's your assumptions you can't prove or perhaps don't bother to prove. The person writing the computer program made certain unproven very possibly unreliable assumptions and based on those assumptions came up with all those predictions. The quality of those predictions is only as good as the quality of the data and his assumptions. If you carefully choose or craft your assumptions, you can prove what you want within reason. I was using hyperbole when I said "anything". Sorry.

In mathematics all proofs are based on unproven assumptions (postulates or givens). For example, Boolean algebra is based on the assumptions or postulates you discover right at the beginning. No attempt is made to prove them. All theorems of Boolean algebra are derived from them.

Those 2 basic equations are based on the laws of physics and mathematics. You can't prove the laws of physics or the postulates of ordinary algebra, but we believe them to be very reliable so we call these equations "facts". But they are equations derived from the laws of physics and postulates of ordinary algebra, i.e the set of ordinary arithmetic. They will remain "fact" (assumptions, postulates, or givens) until something disproves them. If you base your theorem on them and can prove your theorem, it is highly likely your theorem is correct, but theorems are never facts.

All folks do have an agenda. Everybody. I'm surprised you don't agree. I absolutely believe the earth is warming. For example, I'm religious. I can't say more because Ivan (rightly so) wants to keep AA out of controversy. So I clearly have an agenda. I have other agendas. If you say you don't have one it's a bit like saying you've never argued with your wife.

In the past it seems that ice ages have been much more of a threat than global warming. In the past the earth literally froze into a solid ball of ice and stayed that way for thousands of years. The planet is never static. The climate is always changing. Many natural things could happen to reverse global warming. Many natural things could happen to make it much worse. As humans we need to do everything in our power to reasonably end pollution, period including plastics which are destroying our oceans and the fish.

Folks have been predicting "doomsday" for centuries. All I have to do is go to my local coffee shop to hear about this. The last time I went: Trump defeated; stock market crash; dollar collapse; new currency based on BRICS countries. Hyperinflation. America down the tubes. America has been going down the tubes and civilization coming to an end in this coffee shop ever since I can remember. Sooner or later they are bound to be right.

But the same doomsday people predicted 10 years ago oil to run out; the rise of Iraq and Babylon (this about 3 years ago) and the dinar and so on. I had a friend of mine that several years ago sold his house and joined a militia. The end was coming, he said. Now he's up to his ears raising adopted foster children and living life. When proved wrong, they have short memories. I don't.

So maybe, we should destroy our cars (particularly our SUV's), our hi-fi's, our HVAC's, appliances, etc. and head for the hills.

Best,

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 07-07-2020 at 06:04 PM.