News Local & Worldwide

Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Default CES Press Release from Magico

Copyright © 2011 MAGICO LLC
Magico LLC, 932 Parker St. Berkeley, CA 94710
1 OF 2
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—DECEMBER 2, 2011—BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA USA
MAGICO INTRODUCES THE S5
After an incredible five years since the Magico V3’s first release, we are excited to introduce its
successor, the S5. This three-way, four-driver floorstanding loudspeaker borrows heavily from
the peerless Q-Series' technological arsenal and employs new manufacturing techniques to
create what is the most value-laden Magico loudspeaker yet.
The eye will be first drawn to the S5’s uniquely new curved enclosure, which is the world’s first
utilization of ˝” thick, 16” diameter extruded aluminum walls in a loudspeaker. Taking design
cues from our iconic Mini, the cabinet design minimizes diffraction effects, internal resonance,
and damping requirements. The elegant, paintable exterior offers a shallow profile that will
complement a wide variety of end-user living environments. Available in our signature black
anodized finish, the S5 is also offered in an array of high gloss and satin M-COAT® paint
blends. A removable black grille is included – a first for a Magico speaker.
Copyright © 2011 MAGICO LLC
Magico LLC, 932 Parker St. Berkeley, CA 94710
2 OF 2
Incorporating entirely new dual-10” Magico hybrid Nano-Tec® bass drivers, the S5 is capable
of an astonishing output of 118dB (@ 50Hz-1 meter). Combining an outer cone ring of
aluminum and a Magico Nano-Tec dust cap, the new drivers combine superb power handling in
the low bass with distortion-free response at the top of their pass band. The S5 midrange's
dual neodymium, underhung motor system with pure titanium voice coil former is powerfully
efficient and extremely low in distortion. The tweeter is a beryllium diaphragm model found in
selected competitors’ $100,000+ reference offerings. A new neodymium motor system has
been customized to match the S5’s huge dynamic capabilities and power handling, while
retaining its inherent wide dispersion and low distortion. As with all Magico drivers, the latest
custom computer simulations are used to optimize electromagnetic and thermal behavior.
Tireless research and development have provided the means for a distinct new product that is
undoubtedly Magico. Continuing an uncompromising commitment to quality, design and
performance, we are proud to welcome the S5 as the latest addition to our incomparable line
of loudspeakers.
Magico will be showing the S5 at CES 2012 in Las Vegas in the Magico Suite: Venetian Towers,
Suite 35-209.
SPECIFICATIONS
Driver Complement:
1 x 1” MB30 Tweeter
1 x 6” M380 Midrange
2 x 10” Hybrid Nano-Tec Bass
Sensitivity: 90dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 22 Hz – 50 kHz
Recommended Power: 50 – 1200 Watts
Dimensions: 48”H x 14”D x 15”W (122cm x 35cm x 38cm)
Weight: 190 lbs. (86 kg)
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
The US Retail Price of the Magico S5 is $28,600/pr. Delivery will begin in Q2 2012.
ABOUT MAGICO
Magico was created over a decade ago for the sole purpose of leading a no holds-barred
assault on what is possible in contemporary loudspeaker design. Inspired by the unique vision
of industrial designer and accomplished musician Alon Wolf, every Magico product is designed
against the true standard of perfect audio reproduction-live music. At Magico, we strive to lead
in the creation, development, and manufacture of the most elegant and technologically
advanced loudspeaker systems in the world. Each product expresses our passion to craft
uncompromising devices that reveal the music as never before.
CONTACT
For more information on the S5 or any Magico loudspeaker, please contact Irv Gross at Magico
LLC, Berkeley, CA. USA 510-649-9700 x104, irv@magico.net, or visit us at www.magico.net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5_PR_1.jpg (22.6 KB, 62 views)
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I am confused

Wasn't the Q3 the successor to the V3? Isn't the Q3 more expensive than the S5? If I recently bought the Q3, will I be pi$$ed now that the S5 is out and it is cheaper? Is it just as "good" as the Q3?

Last edited by cmalak; 12-02-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 AM

Looks like they are eyeing off the Wilson Sasha.

Better specs, better tweeter. Stilled a sealed speaker?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM

That sure looks good to me.

I have only heard the Q5 and Q1 at RMAF and was not as impressed as many others. A local dealer is now carrying the line and I may wait 'till this S series comes out to give them a listen in a non-hotel environment.

Jim
Old 12-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I am confused

Wasn't the Q3 the successor to the V3? Isn't the Q3 more expensive than the S5? If I recently bought the Q3, will I be pi$$ed now that the S5 is out and it is cheaper? Is it just as "good" as the Q3?
I thought they were raising Q3 prices thanks to "unanticipated" demand. Isn't it close to $40K now? If so, this new speaker is significantly less expensive.

But this new speaker hits almost the same price point as the Q1. Interesting strategy on their part.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
That sure looks good to me.

I have only heard the Q5 and Q1 at RMAF and was not as impressed as many others. A local dealer is now carrying the line and I may wait 'till this S series comes out to give them a listen in a non-hotel environment.

Jim
The S5's Lute shape does look much better than the plain Q series box cabinet. It seems many companies are moving to the Sonus Faber patented Lute shape cabinet. I wonder how it will sound?
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
The S5's Lute shape does look much better than the plain Q series box cabinet. It seems many companies are moving to the Sonus Faber patented Lute shape cabinet. I wonder how it will sound?
I think B&W has been using that shape for many years now.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I think B&W has been using that shape for many years now.
Yes because Sonus Faber has not chosen to enforce its patten on B&W.... (correct?)
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Yes because Sonus Faber has not chosen to enforce its patten on B&W.... (correct?)
Or is it the other way round? I think the B&W shape precedes Sonus ... I stand corrected though!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Even the insides of Magico's speakers are a thing of beauty!